SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-26-2010, 20:48   #1
MTS532

Send a message via AIM to MTS532
New G38 on layaway!

I just joined the ranks of the GAP-nation!

I couldn't ignore the lure of the GAP round any longer. I already have all the SF models Glock offers in both .45 ACP and 10mm, and they are all great guns, but I wanted an even shorter frame.

Looking at a GAP cartridge close up, I can see the genious behind the design: Shorter case, stronger brass, yet nearly identical ballistics as the much vaunted standard pressure .45 ACP.

I really hope this round gains popularity!

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De..._FAQ/index.htm

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=34714
MTS532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 21:11   #2
pmj

Congrats! You'll be happy for awhile - then discover you need a 37 and 39 to go with it!

Semper Fi

Phil
Old 02-26-2010, 22:00   #3
StarvinMarvin

I love whenever someone new buys a gap chambered glock

Congrats.

I love my 37 and am counting down till I can buy the 39
StarvinMarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 22:24   #4
jeffreybehr
GAPist #1944

MTS, congrats--I sure love my 38.
The Bull Dawgs Club

I carry mine in a Tommy's GunPacks bellybag. The 38 replaced a new--gen3--model 23. I can't tell you why exactly I needed a .45-caliber carrygun, I guess I just needed it.

.45 G.A.P ammo is a little difficult to find, but all PD-caliber ammo is, so it's no different than my 40S&Ws.

And Phil is at least half right--my 37 from Bud's is arriving early next week.

I developed a very good PD reload for the G.A.P. that uses a 185 Gold Dot (left in below pic), and that's what I'm carrying.
The Bull Dawgs Club

I carried 24 cartridges with the 23 and carry 18 with the 38; the latter weighs only 2 ounces more.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:00   #5
dbarry

Congrats MTS! I haven't had my 37 very long, but I love it!
dbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:11   #6
MTS532

Thanks!

Ammo hasn't been difficult to find yet. In fact, some gun stores which had been out of 9mm, .40 S&W or .45 ACP had .45 GAP in stock.

I can also get good ammo online, for about the same price as ACP ammo.

As long as ammo is available, I don't see any negatives associated with this caliber. Heavy bullet, better ballistics!

Can't wait to get it home!

Old 02-27-2010, 15:55   #7
Tang419
Glock is GUUD

Jeffery, Ive always been worried about using reloads for carry ammo. I'm affraid if I have to use them in SD, then some dumbass DA will try to use that against me, saying I had them loaded hotter than needed, or I loaded them just for killing or some BS like that. Like the guy in AZ I believe it was, that got railroaded because he shot a guy with a 10mm.
Old 02-27-2010, 16:31   #8
Glock39Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tang419 View Post
Jeffery, Ive always been worried about using reloads for carry ammo. I'm affraid if I have to use them in SD, then some dumbass DA will try to use that against me, saying I had them loaded hotter than needed, or I loaded them just for killing or some BS like that. Like the guy in AZ I believe it was, that got railroaded because he shot a guy with a 10mm.
I understand your concern, but in a "true" case where self defense is warranted having some "dumbass DA will try to use that against me" would be very rare. The law does go both ways and it all depends on if someone wants to shell out lots of $$$ to some bassackward criminal DA to defend some worthless criminal. I just hope that I'm never faced with that.

-Noam Chomsky-
Glock39Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 19:35   #9
pmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tang419 View Post

I concur with what Tang419 said on using reloads for carry/sd ammo.

I spent 30 years working inside the "criminal justice system" and believe me, the "system" has become more concerned for the rights of the bad guys over the last few years. Gone are the days when common sense prevails. It's not a case of being there for justice - it's more like "how much justice can you afford?" Too many shady and opportunistic lawyers out there. Not all are like that thank goodness.

Don't start out behind the power curve. First - be thoroughly familiar with the laws pertaining to the use of deadly force and self defense where you live. Second - carry only factory ammo for self defense purposes. Third and most important - practice drawing, shooting and reloading - to include malfunction drills - with your strong and weak hand until you're ankle deep in spent brass.

Don't be a victim twice.

Regards,
Phil
Old 02-28-2010, 08:31   #10
dbarry

great advice Phil!
dbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 13:37   #11
MTS532

Quote:
Don't start out behind the power curve. First - be thoroughly familiar with the laws pertaining to the use of deadly force and self defense where you live. Second - carry only factory ammo for self defense purposes. Third and most important - practice drawing, shooting and reloading - to include malfunction drills - with your strong and weak hand until you're ankle deep in spent brass.
That really is good advice.

As an LEO, my experience has been that defense attorneys really are an opportunistic lot. If the price is right, they may jump on any perceived weakness in the case, even if the lawyer personally believes his client is guilty.

Anything is open to argument and interpretation, even if it calls into question the victim's integrity or his motives.

All they have to do is to get the jury to question the quality of the evidence or the statements given under oath.

They can characterize a victim anyway they want. They can make you into a raving lunatic who was just waiting for an excuse to use his "bear-dropper" Magnum handloads or that obscure, overly powerful handgun caliber that no military or law enforcement agency uses.

Given enough doubt, a jury may return a favorable verdict.

In a civilian, off-duty setting, if I am ever in a lethal self-defense situation, I want them to argue the legal merits of the case, not whether or not I used reloaded ammo or some off-the-wall caliber.

It's easy to say that they should just stick to arguing whether or not lethal force is justified, but if they can't win on merit, they may try to win by attacking some other aspect of the case.

It's a shame things have gotten to this level, but I think it's best to avoid any possible legal problems and stick to factory ammo in a common self-defense caliber.

I think if you stick to common factory loadings in 9mm, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP/GAP, you'll be fine, since these are all common calibers used by police, military or security forces in the US and around the world.

Just keep practicing your tactics and improving your proficiency with your chosen platform and you should be fine.

Old 02-28-2010, 16:29   #12
David_Ely
GAP'r

I really love my new G38 for daily carry (shown here with the 'home defense' light attached).

The Bull Dawgs Club
Bull Dawgs #1966
David_Ely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 19:01   #13
MTS532

Great pic!

You know, I was thinking, wouldn't it be awesome if the US military adopted the .45 GAP round to compliament the ubiquitous 9mm?

I know they were considering adopting a .45 a couple years ago, at least on a limited basis, but nothing ever came of it.

Of course, if they adopted the Glock, they would have do drop some of their requirements, such as the superfluous external safeties.

A 7+1 shot .45 pistol helped win WW1, WW2, Korea and Vietnam so why not something like a modern, lightweight .45 GAP pistol? That would end battlefield desires of a larger caliber and yet be easy enough for small-handed recruits to become proficient with.

Makes sense to me.

Old 02-28-2010, 19:07   #14
David_Ely
GAP'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS532 View Post
Great pic!

You know, I was thinking, wouldn't it be awesome if the US military adopted the .45 GAP round to compliament the ubiquitous 9mm?

I know they were considering adopting a .45 a couple years ago, at least on a limited basis, but nothing ever came of it.

Of course, if they adopted the Glock, they would have do drop some of their requirements, such as the superfluous external safeties.

A 7+1 shot .45 pistol helped win WW1, WW2, Korea and Vietnam so why not something like a modern, lightweight .45 GAP pistol? That would end battlefield desires of a larger caliber and yet be easy enough for small-handed recruits to become proficient with.

Makes sense to me.
There's the problem. Makes sense and military don't mix.
Bull Dawgs #1966
David_Ely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 21:58   #15
pmj

We've got a great group of men and women in our Armed Forces and they're pretty sharp. They, and their service, represent what's still right and good about this country.

Maybe the problem is that we have too many politicians trying to wear too many hats? When bombs start to drop and bullets start to fly it's time for the politicians to go into the support mode and leave the war fighting to the experts.

Going back to a .45 caliber pistol for the U.S. Military might be a good idea. While they're at it, a .30 caliber rifle also?

Yup. I'm prehistoric, ancient and a bit nostalgic and actually do like the 5.56 - but the .45 and .30 cal got the job done pretty well "back in the day" and still does now.

MTS532 - enjoy your G38 and stay safe on the streets!

I'll quit side-tracking the thread now 'cause at my age I need my sleep.

Regards to all,
Phil