Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-27-2010, 22:46   #1
ctguru

Adjustable target sight recommendations for Glock 17, DP/LPA/Champion etc

Just wondering what people's opinions are on for the different adjustable target rear sights for the glock.

Don't want night sights. Been looking at Dawson Precision (non-FO) rear, LPA SPR and Champion adjustable.

Probably go with a fibre optic front. Want to use the sights for IPSC and Service match in Australia. After I choose just need to find someone to ship to Australia or just come over for a visit and pick up!

ctguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 15:11   #2
ctguru

think I might try and use a set of warren tactical to start, with an FO front. Any adjustable suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-01-2010, 19:06   #3
G19aps

Do a search of this forum for 'adjustable sights' and you'll get lots of good info. That's what I did and it pushed me to the dawson adjustables after I read the stuff on MMC.
G19aps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 20:30   #4
RayB
Retired Member

I put the DP FO ADJ sights you referred to on my G17, and they're by far the best target sights I've personally tried!

Here's my 3rd Gen G17 wearing the above-mentioned sights, and an early SureFire X200A weapon light...

--Ray

Last edited by RayB; 03-06-2010 at 20:55..
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:52   #5
ctguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB View Post
I put the DP FO ADJ sights you referred to on my G17
Ray what width and height front did you end up choosing? What weight projectiles are you shooting and over what distance?

cheers

geoff

p.s. thanx for the pic

Last edited by ctguru; 03-02-2010 at 02:54.. Reason: change
Old 03-02-2010, 13:11   #6
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguru View Post
Ray what width and height front did you end up choosing? What weight projectiles are you shooting and over what distance?

cheers

geoff

p.s. thanx for the pic

I'm sorry, I don't remember the specifics of the sights I chose; but I got them from Custom Glock Racing in June 2006...

http://www.custom-glock.com/index2.html

I bought the sights for my then-new G17. The new 9 mm Glock replaced my beloved G21 as my primary range gun--and paid for itself in a year on ammo savings!

I'd intended to join an outdoor range for warm weather shooting.

At the time, I was buying CCI Blazer 9 mm at $7.99/50...

Then, our local economy tanked; the profitability of my business suffered; and ammo eventually doubled in price...

What shooting I do now is limited to an indoor, fifty foot range.

I did buy 4000-rounds of 115 gr, 9 mm ammo, @ $7.99/50 from Natchez, before the availability and prices went totally crazy! I now wish I'd doubled that order!

Anyway, we're scraping by right now, no thanks to all that Hope and Change...

--Ray
Old 03-02-2010, 19:19   #7
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguru View Post
think I might try and use a set of warren tactical to start, with an FO front. Any adjustable suggestions would be appreciated.
The Warren/Sevignys are my favorite sights to date. I have had the Henie/Dawson FO combo on my G34 but will be switching them out soon. I like the plain black front and seem to shoot better with them. In my mind the red FO is a red dot and totally screws with my sight picture.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 03-03-2010 at 12:16..
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 19:44   #8
ctguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
I like the plain black front and seem to shoot better with them. In m mind the red FO is a red dot and totally screws with my sight picture.
I am going to get both sights, FO and plain black and see which I like the best
Old 03-02-2010, 21:04   #9
RayB
Retired Member

The Why of Black Iron Sights…

Black iron sights are still the fastest for those of us with healthy eyes and excellent visual activity. Here's why...

Human eyes have two primary receptor cells--cones and rods.

The cones, working with the brain, perceive color.

The rods, working with the brain, discern contrast, shadow, and movement.

In the fear-threat mode, the human eye-brain sees contrast, shadow and movement, faster than anything else; this includes our peripheral vision.

In low light, the human eye-brain sees the contrast, shadow, and movement components of vision, first and best.

By faster, we're talking fractions of seconds. But when we're talking survival and serious competition, those fractions of seconds can make all the difference!

But black iron sights are of little use in near darkness…

Enter tritium night sights! The tritium-charged lamps stimulate the cones in the eyes and allow targeting in near total darkness.

Likewise, fiber optic sights stimulate the cone cells, and while they're a bit slower than iron sights in ample light, with a sharp-eyed shooter, they're a great overall solution for the rest of us!

--Ray
Old 03-03-2010, 12:15   #10
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB View Post
Black iron sights are still the fastest for those of us with healthy eyes and excellent visual activity. Here's why...

Human eyes have two primary receptor cells--cones and rods.

The cones, working with the brain, perceive color.

The rods, working with the brain, discern contrast, shadow, and movement.

In the fear-threat mode, the human eye-brain sees contrast, shadow and movement, faster than anything else; this includes our peripheral vision.

In low light, the human eye-brain sees the contrast, shadow, and movement components of vision, first and best.

By faster, we're talking fractions of seconds. But when we're talking survival and serious competition, those fractions of seconds can make all the difference!

But black iron sights are of little use in near darkness…

Enter tritium night sights! The tritium-charged lamps stimulate the cones in the eyes and allow targeting in near total darkness.

Likewise, fiber optic sights stimulate the cone cells, and while they're a bit slower than iron sights in ample light, with a sharp-eyed shooter, they're a great overall solution for the rest of us!

--Ray
I agree... but must say something in addition to that embarrassly, I only very recently was made aware of afer being advised and once put into practice works really well.
The FO is only used to help aquire the front sight faster... you still need to align and use the conventional notch and post sight picture, especially for shots at distance.
As I stated previously I was in my mind using the FO as a red dot which really threw off accuracy. Once I realised what was happening and worked on it I saw significant improvment in my ability to aquire the FO sight faster and shoot more accurately.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote