GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-21-2010, 20:39   #1
skippz

Rules for shooting slugs & buck/birdshot out of the same barrel?

call me oldschool but I always thought one was supposed to change out barrels when switching between birdshot/buckshot & slugs... (I know how clueless am I?). But I'm curious as to what type of choke and/or barrel you need to accept both and the pros & cons etc. etc. aka SOMEONE PLZ HELP!
skippz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 21:28   #2
DougW
Native Texan

I use the Mod choke tube in my Benelli M1 Super90 Tactical shooting reduced recoil slugs, reduced recoil 00 buck, and #6 bird shot when shooting in 3 Gun Matches. Never had any issues. Slugs accuracy is 4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards, buck and bird shot well centered and tight on the steel.

Proud Father of Two US Army Soldiers
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 21:53   #3
skippz

so this combo's setup will not hurt my barrel? I don't have to worry about checking it every range session & so on?
Old 02-21-2010, 22:09   #4
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

I use a mod choke but you have to find the ammo your shotgun likes. Just like anything else, some brands work better than others in my shotguns.
Old 02-21-2010, 22:13   #5
bambikilr

depends on the gun mostly, check your owners manual, or do a google search, cause ya didn't mention what gun, steel shot, lead..etc etc...but i change my chokes depending on what i'm shooting & what gun...if all else fails contact the manufacturer & get an owners manual, or simplly ask..good luck
bambikilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 22:17   #6
skippz

worse to worse whats the well "worse" thing that could happen??
Old 02-21-2010, 23:38   #7
method

You fail to mention the type of gun you have, though it's probably immaterial. Slugs can be fired from just about any barrel, and any choke, aside from very tightest extra full turkey type constrictions.

Slugs tend to do best from the looser chokes, or no choke at all, but I've gotten good accuracy from a modified tube in my 870. Slugs can also vary in diameter by a few thousandths of an inch from manufacturer to manufacturer. I know Remington Sluggers used to be the smallest of the big 3, and were known to prefer a modified choke.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 23:46   #8
skippz

So in lamens terms what does that add up to be???
Old 02-23-2010, 15:33   #9
fiasconva

You want to make sure you use the right kind of slugs for your barrel. If your barrel is not rifled and is smooth bore you do not want to use the sabot slugs, which are for rifled barrels. The lead in slugs is much softer than the steel in your barrel and will not harm it even if your gun is choked really tight. Accuracy may suffer a little though. As for the buckshot and birdshot neither will hurt your barrel but you need to pattern the buckshot to see what brand works best in your individual gun. Every shotgun is different and what shoots well in mine may really suck in yours. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:12   #10
skippz

Thanks guys I feel more informed now... btw I shoot a mossy 500 w/ no choke... just a bead sight so I don't imagine I would be that accurate w/ slugs anyhow but was more interested in the guns ability to shoot them!
Old 02-25-2010, 11:16   #11
mitchshrader
Deceased

yup on the sluggers. all i shoot, modified choke. It increases felt recoil slightly on slugs and buckshot, but that's it. Remington recommends a modified for their 1 oz lead slugs, it improves accuracy.

Last edited by mitchshrader; 02-25-2010 at 11:17..
mitchshrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 22:36   #12
AAshooter

I understand (but have not been able to confirm) slugs are not the best choice of double-barrel break action shotguns. Any one know for sure?
Old 02-27-2010, 22:52   #13
method

A double barrel will shoot slugs just fine, it's just a matter of where it shoots them. You'd be real lucky to have both barrels shoot to a similar point of impact. As long as one barrel or the other shoots to point of aim though, you'd be good to go.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 20:57   #14
YogiBearFan

This gets discussed about once every few months... Here is what I have found out after all the dust has settled.

Remington used to print on the side of their boxes that RIFLED slugs were only to be used in either CYL or IMP CYL barrels.

SABOT slugs are for RIFLED barrels or a RIFLED CHOKE.

It is possible to shoot buckshot/birdshot out of a RIFLED barrel, but, the groups will be horrible. Also, the barrel will begin to see lead deposits rather quickly.

The consensus from most shooters I have discussed this with and reading factory literature from Federal/ATK is that a CYL or IMP CYL barrel is best for larger diameter buckshot, but, not required.
YogiBearFan is offline   Reply With Quote