Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:05   #1
Ian

Name of Reload in the Holster

What is the name of the reload performed by popping the mag out of the firearm, and refreshing it with a full mag, without removing firearm from the holster?
Thanks.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:12   #2
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

We call it an "administrative" reload.

I would be shocked if there were anything resembling standardized terminology.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:14   #3
MCPreacher

Awkward?
G36 Club 47
Snubbie Club 001
MCPreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:17   #4
Ian

Thanks Sam, had a brain failure
At least I think that is what Glock calls it

Last edited by Ian; 03-01-2010 at 11:18..
Old 03-01-2010, 11:25   #5
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Thanks Sam, had a brain failure
At least I think that is what Glock calls it
I did the Glock Instructor's Workshop, and that's what they called it there. That was several years ago.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Old 03-01-2010, 11:52   #6
David Armstrong

"Administrative reload" is the most common term I've also seen with it.

Last edited by David Armstrong; 03-01-2010 at 11:53..
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 17:36   #7
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPreacher View Post
Awkward?
Not really, and since you have kept it in the holster it can be safer for everyone since there is no chance of you waving it around and sweeping someone (or worse.) The downside is if you fail to lock the mag in place while it's in the holster, unchecked, it can be embarrassing when you draw and fire.

If I had to give it a name, I'd call it some snazzy name, like 'Tactical Administrative Reload'. People love that word 'Tactical' and is not confused with a 'tac-load'.

Deaf
Old 03-02-2010, 08:14   #8
Ian

Quote:
The downside is if you fail to lock the mag in place while it's in the holster, unchecked, it can be embarrassing when you draw and fire.
Good point! Have seen this a lot.
But not an issue with the way Glock teaches it.
"Squeeze, and sweep"
"Squeeze" the bottom of the mag and the slide (rear sight) to absolutely make sure mag locks into place, and "sweep" in between shirt and Glock, to make sure nothing has caught up there.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:27   #9
MCPreacher

Can someone explain this to me?

In every training venue I have ever attended, an "administrative reload" is replacing a partially spent magazine with a full magazine so that, should the weapon be needed, it is ready to rock & roll. I have never been taught to do this while the handgun is in the holster.

I can only imagine that this holstered reload technique is taught in areas were CYA is the rule of the day.

What common sense reason could be given for not removing the handgun from the holster and doing a reload in a safe and SECURE manner?

The ONLY reason I can think of is that the governing agency is afraid that its 'officers' are so under-trained, or incompetent, that they cannot be trusted to draw the weapon from the holster and replace the magazine in a safe manner...

OR

They are afraid that the action of replacing the magazine will frighten the people around them.

What am I missing? What other reason (common sense reason) could there be for performing an administrative reload as described here?
G36 Club 47
Snubbie Club 001
Old 03-02-2010, 09:21   #10
Ian

I understand what you are saying.
But if the instructor is standing in front of you, between you and the targets, and you will be needing to shoot soon, it is a safe way of reloading.
I am sorry, but I do not want people pulling firearms from holsters when I am standing downrange of them.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:49   #11
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
What common sense reason could be given for not removing the handgun from the holster and doing a reload in a safe and SECURE manner?
It allows the class to continue while students top off their magazines. It allows the class to continue while students down-load from full magazines to "x" rounds for a specific drill. It allows the guy who showed up with one magazine to top off without inconveniencing the rest of the class.

The place it has is small, but it's not purely a result of gun-phobia.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:01   #12
David Armstrong

Quote:
What am I missing? What other reason (common sense reason) could there be for performing an administrative reload as described here?
Not sure what you are missing, but the reason for doing a reload like this is simply convenience on the range. You've completed a course of fire and holstered, then decide to top off the mag or some such, so you can get the mag out of the gun and get a full mag back in the gun without needing to take the gun out of the holster.
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:39   #13
AggiePhil
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Can someone explain this to me?

In every training venue I have ever attended, an "administrative reload" is replacing a partially spent magazine with a full magazine so that, should the weapon be needed, it is ready to rock & roll. I have never been taught to do this while the handgun is in the holster.
No, that could describe a TACTICAL RELOAD or a SPEED RELOAD. In a tactical reload, you change magazines during a lull in the fight and retain the partially spent mag. In a speed reload, you change magazines during a very brief lull where you don't have time to retain the partially spent mag but instead just drop it.

An administrative reload, on the other hand, refers to a reload that's done in more of a range setting. Therefore, it is sometimes done with the gun still in the holster. Note however that not all administrative reloads are done in this fashion; it is merely one type of administrative reload.
AggiePhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:44   #14
MCPreacher

I appreciate the replies and I can see why folks might like this on the range... I admit, that I hadn't thought of that.

AggiePhil: I know that doing it while engaged is a tactical reload, but I was specifically thinking about after the action or, as in the example above, what you would do on the range before holstering.

A good example is during a steel match where you are firing multiple strings in succession. When you are done, you eject the partially spent magazine and reload before holstering so that you are ready to set up for the next string.

Anyway, I appreciate the answers and, in the limited scope you folks outlined, it makes sense.
G36 Club 47
Snubbie Club 001

Last edited by MCPreacher; 03-02-2010 at 12:45..