Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:34   #1
Aceman

Mossberg Tang safety w/ Pistol grip

And stock....I just don't get the deal with the people who hate the tang safety. Please explain this to me.

Here is my thought/approach/style whatever you want to call it.

My safety is an ADDITIONAL layer of safety/security. It IS NOT a primary safety, it is not something I depend on.

If I get the gun out - it has the safety ON. However - if I'm getting it out for business, the first thing I will do is take it OFF.

At this point, where I point the gun and where I put my finger is what it is all about.

Same thing at the range. when I'm ready to shoot - safety goes off and stays off. The gun is pointed down range when this occurs. When I'm done, the safety goes on.

With the exception of BG at night, when the action would be rack/safety off, I just don't get that it matters where the thing is. If I'm looking for BG's there is no safety on, if I even think there might be one, there is no safety on. Safety is going on at best when/if I set it down because I really believe everything is clear. and then I wouldn't care if it took two hands, my left foot, and a piece of rope to get it on.

What do you guys do / how do you approach things that the safety position is such a big deal?

Last edited by Aceman; 03-07-2010 at 09:35..
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:03   #2
L-2

deleted

Last edited by L-2; 03-27-2011 at 15:34..
L-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:05   #3
FAS1
GT Sponsor

Answered already. Missed it. ^^^^^

It doesn't seem like the best location with a pistol grip, but with some practice probably not a big deal. Can it be swiped with your index finger while gripping the shotgun? My 1201FP w/combo pistol grip/buttstock has a crossbolt safety that seems a little easier to get to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"The Fast and Secure One"
Link to Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by FAS1; 03-07-2010 at 11:07.. Reason: my stupidity :-0
FAS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:15   #4
Truckee
Aging Goat

I don't prefer a pistol-grip on a shotgun. But, that's irrelevant to this chat.

I do understand the complaints about a pg as relating to the safety on the Mossberg. However, believe its use can be over come based upon what one gets used to and trains with. Your hand will do some moving though. Cross bolts seem to be more user friendly with a pistol grip stock.

I will make mention of Aceman's tactic to disengage the safety and leave it off. I live with SOGs that won't allow such tactic; seen as a liability/safety issue. L-2 may be in this same boat.

Last edited by Truckee; 03-10-2010 at 22:56.. Reason: typo
Truckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:26   #5
Victoriagotagun

It all boils down to training...which unfortunately alot of people don't do.

"Glocks are for criminals" -Nick_45
Victoriagotagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 13:04   #6
mixflip

On the pistol grip issue...I am not a fan of pistol grip stocks on "pump" shotguns just for the fact that my left hand is on an eye level plain and my shooting hand is not on or near the same plain.

Why is this important to me? Well because on a pump shotgun I have to rack that pump, essentially bringing both hand closer together after each shot. When they are on different plains the gun tend to wobble and stray off target more than with a standard stock pump shotgun.

Its not a big deal to most but for now that is my philosophy and it works better for me when quickly shooting multiple targets. In a "time is life" situation a fraction of a second faster on my pump is important to me.

Now I love pistol grips on my "semi-auto" shotgun since my left hand isnt doing any work other than mere support since I dont have to rack it.

As for the tang/pistol grip issue? Why would I be going into a deadly situation with my safety on? The tang safety is fine. The only people who complain about it are the folks who think its uncomfortable to reach for it when just playing with their shotgun on a range. Comfort doesnt really play too much of a role in self defense in my opinion.

Ballistic vests arent and full duty belts comfortable. 40 & 45 cal & 00-buck arent comfortable rounds to shoot but they do their job of saving your life.

If your tang safety is on as you respond to a threat...you have training issues. Once the threat is down...then your safety goes on. Who cares if it breaks your master grip at this point? The threat is gone.

Rarely will a person be in a shootout at the ok coral and if you are, with a pump shotgun? Well your tang safety is the least of your problems.

Last edited by mixflip; 03-07-2010 at 13:06..
mixflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 20:39   #7
hamster
NRA Life Member

I just keep my Mossberg500 w/ Pistol grip & Adjustable stock "Cruiser Ready". Which in my case means Safety off, Magazine loaded. A quick press of the Slide release and rack a round when I'm ready for business.
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 20:37   #8
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

It's just an all around bad design to use with a pistol grip. I have a 500A with Spec Ops. I keep the mag loaded, hammer down, safety off. I never use the safety. Then there is the issue with the mag release... Again, I never use it, but I would like a better, more ergonomic option.

I'm going to pick up a Maverick 88. I may want to keep my gun cocked and locked and the cross bolt safety on the trigger guard is as good as it gets IMO. Your finger lands there as you pick up the gun regardless of stock/grip type.

Sure you can train around the tang safety issue but why??? There are many other options out there. So far it's working fine for me but here's another thought.

Even if I don't use the safety I would like to make sure it is off if I need to use the gun. I don't want to feel around for that tang safety in the dark with a BG in my house.

Answers to all of these problems? Benelli Super Nova Tactical.
Old 03-13-2010, 20:39   #9
demented

Put a Pachmayr Vindicator PG on it. Shaped as they are, thumbing the safety can easily be done without changing your grip.
demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 18:46   #10
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
I just keep my Mossberg500 w/ Pistol grip & Adjustable stock "Cruiser Ready". Which in my case means Safety off, Magazine loaded. A quick press of the Slide release and rack a round when I'm ready for business.

I always thought cruiser ready was full mag - empty chamber - safety off - but trigger has been pulled (dry fired) so the slide will not lock forward and as a result you do not need to press the action button to rack a round into the chamber.

This is how I keep my 870 - in the safe (unlocked at night)

I do not need to mess with any small buttons - just rack and pull the trigger
Z71bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 19:49   #11
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckee View Post
I will make mention of Aceman's tactic to disengage the safety and leave it off. I live with SOGs that won't allow such tactic; seen as a liability/safety issue. L-2 may be in this same boat.
Again - there is shooting time and not shooting time. You are saying that when it is a known "shooting time" the saftey is on? Please explain.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:58   #12
sns3guppy

Quote:
Then there is the issue with the mag release...
You have a mag release on a Mossberg 500?
sns3guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 14:42   #13
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns3guppy View Post
You have a mag release on a Mossberg 500?
Slide release? Whatever you call it... It is in a bad spot when you add a pistol grip. I love my 500a and I love my Spec Ops stock but the truth is they make a horrible couple.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:03   #14
Truckee
Aging Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Again - there is shooting time and not shooting time. You are saying that when it is a known "shooting time" the saftey is on? Please explain.
Agreed. I'm saying, we are not allowed to position the safety off and go in search of. The safety is to remain engaged until just prior to discharging the weapon. For the "not shooting time," the safety is engaged.

Last edited by Truckee; 03-16-2010 at 11:13..
Old 03-17-2010, 21:26   #15
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckee View Post
Agreed. I'm saying, we are not allowed to position the safety off and go in search of. The safety is to remain engaged until just prior to discharging the weapon.
Wow. That is an unbelievably bad idea. Please tell me you are going "in search of" deer. In which case it's ok. But if the deer might shoot back...

Whose idea was this?
Old 03-18-2010, 01:36   #16
mixflip

I agree, doing a building search for an active shooter or responding to a man with a gun call, with your safety "off" is a scary thought.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:00   #17
sns3guppy

Quote:
Wow. That is an unbelievably bad idea. Please tell me you are going "in search of" deer. In which case it's ok. But if the deer might shoot back...

Whose idea was this?
You find the idea of riding an engaged safety to be a bad idea? You seem to be suggesting that one should clear a building with the safety off.

Many departments and agencies, in fact most, teach clearing with the safety engaged, and the thumb or forefinger riding the safety.
sns3guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:03   #18
Truckee
Aging Goat

mixflip and sns3guppy
^^^^Aceman, what they said.

Long guns are susceptible to being snatched or bumped, and are often handed off during confrontations. Being "at large" amongst a flood of others with the safety disengaged is not prudent. Also, there shall be no negligent discharges. These may or may not be my opinions. I'm simply stating the train of thought.

YMMV Aceman but, I have to live within a guideline... most of which I agree with or see the light of. And as for my 0.02 on this issue, I concur... safety until ready to fire.

Last edited by Truckee; 03-18-2010 at 08:39.. Reason: typo
Old 03-18-2010, 10:31   #19
mixflip

I can understand the "snatch or bumped" theory and the response to it. Depts are often flooded with risk managers worried about perception. I get it that its policy.

My question is to the policy? We are taught to keep our fingers indexed and "off the trigger" until ready to fire. There should be no unintentional discharges if you keep your finger off the trigger. Are we going in to make an arrest or going in to stop a threat?

Walking into a building and conducting a search for an active shooter is essentially walking into an ambush. Why would I want to walk into an ambush with my safety off? The person hiding with a gun (which is probably not on safe) almost always knows you are coming if he is hiding and listening.

If my long gun is shouldered and my muzzle is pointed down range...I would prefer my safety to be off and ready to fire in a "time is life" situation. Why not do this...If you are going to hand off your long gun, swipe "on" the safety? If your gun is snatched where is your #2 guy in your search team? I am of course assuming nobody searches a building alone?

I understand the policy but I dont agree with it. I am advocating complete compliance with policy btw. Some policies dont allow sworn officers to carry off duty and I dont agree with that either.

Any military folks here fresh from Iraq or Afghanistan? Whats your opinion on searching with your safety on? Is that what they teach in M.O.U.T. training?

Last edited by mixflip; 03-18-2010 at 10:38..
Old 03-18-2010, 10:48   #20
David Armstrong

Quote:
from Aceman:
Wow. That is an unbelievably bad idea. Please tell me you are going "in search of" deer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
I agree, doing a building search for an active shooter or responding to a man with a gun call, with your safety "off" is a scary thought.
I've taught shotgun a lot and in a lot of places, and if you (generic "you", not specific) are walking around with the chamber loaded with a shotgun you need to have the safety engaged as the standard default, be it civilian, LE, or military. Most shotguns do not lock the firing pin when the safety is on, leaving it subject to discharge as the result of a bang or hit. As you bring the shotgun to ready you take the safety off.

Quote:
from mixflip:
Why would I want to walk into an ambush with my safety off?
The idea is not to walk into an ambush. But the other idea is that you provide a significant increase in personal safety to you and others in the area with a minimal increase in danger. Think about a 1911. You would keep the safety on until you were in the actual presentation, not take it off before you began the search. If taking the safety off during the presentation slows you down you are doing something wrong.

Last edited by David Armstrong; 03-18-2010 at 10:58..
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote