Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:53   #1
DARKSHADOW
CLM Number 205
My Work Hobby

Home Defense with Supressor?

Would using a supressor on a home defense gun be a bad idea if drawn into court?
I've heard about not using a supressor fo ccw, and I have no problem with that, seeing that it would be a real P.I.T.A. to conceal. Not to mention how people might think you are trying to sneak around looking for trouble, because only bad guys in movies use supressors.

But for home defense, wouldn't it make sense to use a supressor? You are indoors, guns are very loud, and you're not going to have time to give everyone in the house ear protection while you are trying to stay alive.
To me it would only make sense to have a supressor at the ready on a home defense gun?

What, or is there any reason for this being a bad idea? I personaly would not want to go deff or cause a family member to go deff because I had to use deadly force. Specialy if I had the means to prevent it.

What say you?
NRA Life Member
Thin to win - G36 Club #44
Florida Glockers - #254

Last edited by DARKSHADOW; 03-04-2010 at 08:31..
DARKSHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:18   #2
KCHORNS

The only bad idea I can think of is if the intruder sneaks up on you he has a nice long barrel to grab a hold of.
KCHORNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:08   #3
crazypilot
ERAU Alumni '05

It would be hard to say. Many see the "assassin" side of a suppressor use but I think you're lawyer would paint a good picture for the jury regarding hearing safety. Minimizing noise helps protect yours and your family's hearing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000, LMT MRP CQB, Ruger 10/22
crazypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 13:47   #4
UZIFORME

You will find many people who have paranoid fantasy about having to explain this in court, but you will never find one person who can point to an actual case file where it was a problem.
UZIFORME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 14:03   #5
ancient_serpent

I'm just kinda guessing here, but I wouldn't think there are alot of cases to be found, where a suppressed firearm is used to fend off a home invasion...
ancient_serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 21:05   #6
nnickatnight

I'd have to agree with one of the posters, there are too many rumors about this or that and no facts to back it up. The arguing on trigger jobs is endless and never any hard facts to support it. My only issue might be how a negative court outcome would effect the NFA community as a whole. I personally would grab one of my shorty shotguns for an in house type incident, but I would certainly sweat the court proceedings!
nnickatnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 00:14   #7
r2kba
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSHADOW View Post
Would using a supressor on a home defense gun be a bad idea if drawn into court?
No, not simple because of the can. If it happens to be attached to your AR15 when you blast some asshat at 2am busting in your door, GOOD!

Would I keep a can attached to my .45 on the night stand intentionally? NO!

I really dont mind if it's loud. I doubt I'll hear it anyways.
BIGDAWG #444 / Wheel#444

"I'd rather hunt with Dick Cheney than ride with Ted Kennedy ."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
r2kba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 18:30   #8
Liff

What about the bg shooting at you? Down range is much louder than behind the gun, so....

I do not think a can on a hd gun is a good or bad thing. Probably a little better of an idea than one of those pistol bayonets.
Liff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:03   #9
r2kba
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liff View Post
What about the bg shooting at you? Down range is much louder than behind the gun, so....

I do not think a can on a hd gun is a good or bad thing. Probably a little better of an idea than one of those pistol bayonets.

Yeah I think in general, folks are better off without it in split second defense situations. Auditory perception is greatly reduced during adrenalin dumps.

But with that said, as I said, it's not going to hurt per-say.
BIGDAWG #444 / Wheel#444

Old 03-08-2010, 14:33   #10
dday27

Its bought and paid for along with the 200.00 stamp, I would use mine if it happened to be attached during a home invasion
The 21 Club #2727 Kalashnikov Club #2727
Black Rifle Club #2727 The Bull Dawgs Club #2727
dday27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 18:36   #11
Hoser
Mall Ninja

I wouldnt just in case my firearm gets impounded for a while during the investigation I would not want to be without my can.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:45   #12
r2kba
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozer View Post
I wouldnt just in case my firearm gets impounded for a while during the investigation I would not want to be without my can.

This is unlikely if it's a good shoot. Any evidence would be taken from the actor in this case such as their weapon. A legal defensive use of a firearm doesn't automatically mean the gun-owners gun is confiscated, and in most cases I would say this is not the norm.
BIGDAWG #444 / Wheel#444

Last edited by r2kba; 03-09-2010 at 01:47..
Old 09-07-2012, 14:49   #13
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2kba View Post
This is unlikely if it's a good shoot. Any evidence would be taken from the actor in this case such as their weapon. A legal defensive use of a firearm doesn't automatically mean the gun-owners gun is confiscated, and in most cases I would say this is not the norm.
From what I've seen it's most definitely the norm to seize the firearm. It's not uncommon at all for "cut and dried" home invasion shootings to turn out to be a drug deal gone south or some other scenario that turns it into a murder. If the initial investigation didn't retain the weapon, it's bad news.
rockapede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 15:08   #14
roberev

Police absolutely will take the weapon into possession as evidence, at least until a final decision on whether to prosecute is made.

I don't see any impediment to using a suppressor from a legal standpoint. If the shooting is justified, what difference does it make if the gun went "BANG!" or "Phhhwap"?

If you're in that scenario, why not remove the silencer prior to police arrival? Take the suppressor, leave the gun [for the police].

Last edited by roberev; 09-07-2012 at 15:09..
roberev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 15:46   #15
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberev View Post
Police absolutely will take the weapon into possession as evidence, at least until a final decision on whether to prosecute is made.

I don't see any impediment to using a suppressor from a legal standpoint. If the shooting is justified, what difference does it make if the gun went "BANG!" or "Phhhwap"?
Old 09-07-2012, 16:14   #16
rockapede

Holy cow, I just realized how much of a necropost that was. Sorry gents.
rockapede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 16:21   #17
roberev

Ditto. I wasn't looking at dates either.

Rob

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
roberev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 16:21   #18
Armchair Commando
Long Range Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liff View Post
unless your shooting a 10.5 inch sbr ar15 their so damn loud its crazy.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited by Armchair Commando; 09-07-2012 at 16:22..
Armchair Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 19:47   #19
JBaird22

If deadly force is authorized it doesn't matter if it's done with a firearm or a shovel. Getting wrapped around the axle over a silencer is not the issue.

I say that to point this out: the media is going to paint you as the devil for shooting someone with a short barreled rifle and a silencer irregardless if the things are legally held or if you bought them off the corner.

Former Certified Super Glock fixer
JBaird22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:18   #20
JuneyBooney

If the suppressor is purchased legally why would there be a problem? Have you ever heard a gun in a house? I have and they seem louder than outside. Ears ring for a week if it is a large caliber.

Cool songs:

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote