Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-11-2010, 14:49   #1
Wash-ar15

Is being sprayed with mace considered a deadlly threat?

Been reading that some folks are using mace or pepper spray to precipitate an attack. If you are sprayed in an unprovoked attack,would this be considered an deadly force attack?
Wash-ar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 15:02   #2
Glock30 Guy
XD40

I carry mace for situations when deadly force is not justified but I need a way out from a potentially bad situation. I do not consider it deadly force. I'd only use it if provoked however.

"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
Glock30 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 15:15   #3
KaosV

You should have a friend spray you in the face/eyes with mace/pepper stray then have him physically attack you and see how you do.

Another thing you could do is get an a couple airsoft guns. He sprays you then you try to engage him with your gun before he shots you.

Tells us how it goes...
Old 02-11-2010, 15:41   #4
Captain Caveman
a.k.a. DaReaper

Absolutely yes. If you get sprayed you are incapacitated and your weapon is at risk of being taken.
so they went to the polls and removed all doubt.
Captain Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 15:51   #5
AggiePhil
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This is not an easy question to answer and the situation would dictate a lot of things. A lot of factors come into play. A uniformed police officer with a gun in plain view on his hip being sprayed in the face is a lot different from a regular citizen with a concealed handgun being sprayed. I would think that it would be a lot easier for the police officer to argue why he had to shoot the person who sprayed and then fought with him (saying that he was concerned about his gun being taken away, since it was clearly visible and everyone would have expected him, a uniformed officer to be armed) than it would for an ordinary citizen carrying concealed to argue why he up and shot someone who sprayed him. Then again, like I said, every situation is different and the concern about having your gun taken away (concealed or not) is certainly a valid one. So...a hard question to answer, IMO. FWIW, I carry spray, both on duty and off.

Last edited by AggiePhil; 02-11-2010 at 16:07..
AggiePhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 16:03   #6
Glock30 Guy
XD40

Under the eyes of the law, mace is non-lethal. But once you are incapacitated, what that person does to you will determine if your life is in jeopardy. If they try to harm you or take your gun, that is a different story. I'd shoot then. Personally, I would not want to be on trial for shooting someone who only maced me. But if I were a juror, I'd be forgiving. When maced you loose the ability to make sound judgement as your eyesight is compromised and you are having trouble breathing. Every situation is different and I'd be ready to shoot for sure.

"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
Glock30 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 16:33   #7
mesteve2

Texas Dept. of Public Safety (Our Highway Police)

If someone gets their OC Pepper spray they are trained to shoot to Stop! (Kill).

So deadly force is called for.

State of Texas Master Peace Officer
State of Texas Private Security Officer Instructor
State of Texas Concealed Handgun License Instructor
mesteve2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 17:56   #8
Willard
Who, me?

The question should be: Is an unprovoked physical attack / assault by a stranger justification for use of deadly force?
Big Dawg #828, Niner #828, SubClub #828, 40 Club #828
Heart of Dixie Glockers 25A

I have opted-out of "Political Correctness".
Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 18:02   #9
AggiePhil
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
The question should be: Is an unprovoked physical attack / assault by a stranger justification for use of deadly force?
Short answer: NO
AggiePhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 18:52   #10
Blaster
Hunc tu caveto

Quote:
The question should be: Is an unprovoked physical attack / assault by a stranger justification for use of ly force?
More specifically; the question is: Can you convince a jury of 12 people that your life was in jeopardy and any reasonable and prudent person would have taken the same action you did.
If there is a doubt in your mind about convincing 12 jury members you should have family members start investing in soap on a rope for you.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:06   #11
Puppy

Quote:
I'd say that'd depend on if the victim was in fear for their life.
Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:35   #12
GlocknSpiehl
NRA Life Member

It also depends on what state you live. I am sure I can articulate well enough to get no billed in FL.
Old 02-12-2010, 13:10   #13
David Armstrong

Quote:

That is the winner! The details of how the attack is being carried out don't matter under most circumstances, what matters is if the the attack rises to the level where deadly force can be used.
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 22:14   #14
packsaddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
More specifically; the question is: Can you convince a jury of 12 people that your life was in jeopardy and any reasonable and prudent person would have taken the same action you did.
If there is a doubt in your mind about convincing 12 jury members you should have family members start investing in soap on a rope for you.

And, remember, the average juror has an 8th grade level of education.
packsaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:52   #15
jstutman

We just had a case a few months ago. A LEO shot and killed a suspect after the suspect sprayed mace in the officer's eyes and the officer felt the suspect was going after his gun. I think the case of deadly force depends on the situation
jstutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:33   #16
KaosV

Did you get sprayed yet?
Old 02-13-2010, 11:29   #17
Misty02

I would assume that someone that has sprayed me with mace is not considering inviting me to a cup of coffee. An unprovoked attack with mace will be viewed as the other person’s intent of incapacitating me to the point I’m unable to defend myself. Yes, I consider such an attack merits the use of deadly force. Whether or not I would respond with deadly force will greatly depend on the circumstances and who is around me at that time. If I happen to be with my granddaughter (she’s 3 years old) it is unlikely that I’ll consider shooting if I’m unable to clearly see my target. With older members of the family I know they would move out of the way and I would likely be more inclined to use deadly force. A lot of variables to consider on what I believe a likely response would be on my part. Nonetheless, I would still consider an unprovoked mace spray as an attack where deadly force is justified.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Misty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:40   #18
user
VaLegalDefense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wash-ar15 View Post
Been reading that some folks are using mace or pepper spray to precipitate an attack. If you are sprayed in an unprovoked attack,would this be considered an deadly force attack?
I assume you're making reference to the "self-defense/defense of others" doctrine. That defense does not require an attack amounting to deadly force, only the threat of "serious bodily injury". If you have a reasonable belief, based on objective fact, that you or an innocent third party is faced with the imminent threat of serious bodily injury or a serious felony (rape, robber, murder, burglary, arson), then you may respond with such force as is reasonably necessary, up to and including deadly force, to quell the attack. (At common law, that is, and I'm speaking here as a Virginia attorney.)

If you have reason to believe that the mace or pepper spray is a precursor to (and thus part of) a robbery or threat of serious bodily harm, do what you need to do. Note also, that "fear for one's life", or any other emotional response, is completely irrelevant to the defense.

Check this answer with an attorney where you live before accepting it as "gospel".
Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:03   #19
Misty02

Quote:
Originally Posted by user View Post
I assume you're making reference to the "self-defense/defense of others" doctrine. That defense does not require an attack amounting to deadly force, only the threat of "serious bodily injury". If you have a reasonable belief, based on objective fact, that you or an innocent third party is faced with the imminent threat of serious bodily injury or a serious felony (rape, robber, murder, burglary, arson), then you may respond with such force as is reasonably necessary, up to and including deadly force, to quell the attack. (At common law, that is, and I'm speaking here as a Virginia attorney.)

If you have reason to believe that the mace or pepper spray is a precursor to (and thus part of) a robbery or threat of serious bodily harm, do what you need to do. Note also, that "fear for one's life", or any other emotional response, is completely irrelevant to the defense.

Check this answer with an attorney where you live before accepting it as "gospel".
I have a question. How do you separate “a reasonable belief of serious bodily injury” from what you mention is the emotional response “fear for one’s life”? I’m trying to separate the two in my mind and they seem to be intertwined.

.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Misty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:14   #20
user
VaLegalDefense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty02 View Post
I have a question. How do you separate “a reasonable belief of serious bodily injury” from what you mention is the emotional response “fear for one’s life”? I’m trying to separate the two in my mind and they seem to be intertwined.

.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
They're not required to be separate; you may well be in fear for your life. But whether you have "fear" is legally irrelevant to the defense. That is to say, fear for your life, by itself is not enough, and killing an assailant without actually feeling fear ("in cold blood", as it were) may well be a good defense.
Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
user is offline   Reply With Quote