SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:29   #1
themiller

G29 Spring ID

Hi All,

Long time lurker - appreciate all the knowledge here. Actually the 10 'ring push me to get a G29! Yeah! Now - with that said, I've had about 15 failure to feed out of 500 or so rounds in the last two weeks.

Wondering if you could help me ID this spring as glock OEM or not - or if all aftermarket springs have some sort of writing on them? This one has no words/measurements on it.

Backround: Bought as used gun with no history available - (might never do that again...) and I *think* its a heavier than normal spring - so I'm having issues shooting w/lighter loads. At first I thought it was the magazine (only one came with the gun) but after getting a few other magazines I could duplicate the problem (failure to load) with a slightly "limp" grip and light factory loads (160-180 gr practice loads, pretty much the .40 stuff in a 10mm shell) Winchester Silvertip HP, and Remmington UMC. The heavier (CCI Blazer 200+gr) cycled no matter how much of a pansy hold I put on the gun. I'd like to run the lighter hollowpoints through it for SD when I move and CC, but if it's not reliable I'll stick to my G26.

Glock 29 of recent manufacure I believe - first 3 of serial: MKL.

Thanks for any info,

themiller

Also - I know springs are cheap, and I can't tell if this one is "worn" or not - maybe you can?
Attached Thumbnails
The 10 Ring - Click for larger version   The 10 Ring - Click for larger version   The 10 Ring - Click for larger version  
themiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 19:17   #2
cbguns

what kind of ammo used may depend
1911 member #356
SUB GUNS #330
10 ring # 330
New England Colonials #36
cbguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 19:54   #3
the iceman
CLM Number 276
Proud Veteran

When I have purchased used firearms, I always changed out the springs.
Old 01-17-2010, 20:00   #4
Snapper2

Recoil spring looks factory. Not sure if its the latest factory though as my G30 has the silver end to it instead of black. You can function test spring for weakness by dryfiring and holding trigger in. Then point muzzel up and pull slide back an inch or so and let it return while holding trigger in.(WITHOUT AMMO IN MAG) Slide should return without a problem, if not the recoil spring is weak. Does it have a factory barrel?
Snapper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 21:43   #5
themiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper2 View Post
Recoil spring looks factory. Not sure if its the latest factory though as my G30 has the silver end to it instead of black. You can function test spring for weakness by dryfiring and holding trigger in. Then point muzzel up and pull slide back an inch or so and let it return while holding trigger in.(WITHOUT AMMO IN MAG) Slide should return without a problem, if not the recoil spring is weak. Does it have a factory barrel?

Thanks for the tip. It returns, but not "snappy" it seems to get hung up the last 1/16" of an inch every now and again (unlike my almost new G26). I ordered a new OEM spring for it, and I'm going to the range soon, hopefully that will "fix the glitch" as I'd love to have it for HD, and eventally winter CCW. I'll update when I find out. Is your silver end on the front of the gun? Mine has silver where it hits the barrel...?

Thanks for the help so far
Old 03-11-2010, 06:32   #6
themiller

new OEM spring fixed the problem 100%. A few hundred misc. rounds later and no problems. FYI for anyone else.
Old 03-11-2010, 19:52   #7
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

I have used a factory spring for awhile till the spring came off the plastic button on the front, Glock replaced it no questions asked(plus for service)

I have since used the Wolf non captured rod & 21lb spring set and it has been great with 10mm or with the Storm Lake 40S&W conversion, I still have to test it with the Lone Wolf Dist. 9X25 Dillon conversion barrel. The Wolf with various spring weights can be used to tune for various loadings weak to full power.

Best regards!
_The_Shadow is online now   Reply With Quote