SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-28-2010, 19:42   #1
speedydave
KoolAid Drinker

Newbie AK questions.......

I have been reading and searching, I just can't make up my mind.

I want an AK, I don't want to spend a fortune, but I will pay for a quality rifle.

My friend who is a "russian" weapon connoisseur says I should just buy a WASR-10 at the next gun show.

I have found a decent looking used Century GP 1975 for $420. The local shops have crappy looking wasr's for around $800.

Is the GP a decent platform for upgrading? I don't want a fully tacticool AK, I'm mostly just thinking of changing out the furniture. I have read the specs and reviews of the GP,and read of century's hit and miss QC.

Any GP owners want to chime in?!?

Thanks,
Dave
speedydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 20:02   #2
Jmzzl
AK User

WASRs for $800? I gave $400 for mine 3 months ago. Shop around, you'll find them way cheaper.
Jmzzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 20:09   #3
cricketdave

yeah i was going to say that too, i paid 350 or so for mine. look around and shop on gunbroker.

here is a pic of my century ak
The Kalashnikov Klub
take it easy
cricket
cricketdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 20:14   #4
Masterson

WASR's around this part are going for around $400 to $450...$800 is a stretch.
Masterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 20:14   #5
speedydave
KoolAid Drinker

Thanks for the replys, I know $800 is crazy. I actually laughed when I saw the price.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:28   #6
my762buzz

Saigas are available from several distributors currently $300, $320, and $350 are the three cheapest prices.
I love all my saigas.

Last edited by my762buzz; 03-02-2010 at 07:14..
my762buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 18:54   #7
speedydave
KoolAid Drinker

Today I found an SGL-10 Saiga for $860, and a Wasr-10 for $520. I wouldn't mind converting the Saiga, but the price seems high.
Old 03-01-2010, 19:15   #8
vildayyan2003

I just bought my very first AK-47 (and gun for that matter) about a month ago at the Big Town Gun Show in Mesquite, Tx for 429.99 and it even came with a bayonete and leather pouch and sling.

Forgot to mention that it was a Romanian WASR-10 imported by Century Arms. I just took it to the range for the first time and was told it had the best trigger that they had seen on a WASR. I love my AK!

Last edited by vildayyan2003; 03-01-2010 at 19:18..
vildayyan2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 20:34   #9
PlasticGuy

I'm not a fan of the WASR's. I've had a couple, and the only good thing I could say about them is that they were reliable. Accuracy was poor even by AK standards, and fit and finish was pretty rough. If you do get one you shouldn't pay more than about $450.

The best deal going right now in AK's is the Arsenal SGL line. They can be found for $700-$800, and are as good as any stamped reciever AK ever made. This is coming from a guy who has owned 15 AK's from 7 different countries (many costing a lot more than Arsenal SGL). If a little extra money is in yoru budget, I would strongly recommend going this route.
Old 03-01-2010, 20:54   #10
Jmzzl
AK User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticGuy View Post
I'm not a fan of the WASR's. I've had a couple, and the only good thing I could say about them is that they were reliable. Accuracy was poor even by AK standards, and fit and finish was pretty rough. If you do get one you shouldn't pay more than about $450.
And that about sums it up. WASRs are reliable, cheap, and ugly. They're the perfect brush gun to just throw around and get dirty, without worrying about aesthetics or functionality.
Jmzzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 22:31   #11
toshbar
Timber Baron

Can you work an angle grinder and a hammer/punch?

Get a saiga and convert it. I did and wish I had not bought my WASR 7 months ago. I can send you all the details of what I did as far as ordering parts, along with stuff you need that I found out while piecing it together.

Oh yeah, and look into 5.45x39! RARR!!!!1!
2 4 R

toshbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 00:08   #12
my762buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedydave View Post
read of century's hit and miss QC.
Thanks,
Dave
Century has no quality control. Their warranty is not worth the paper it is written on. Several years ago I was at a gunshop looking at a century FAL new in the box. Thats right never ever sold to a customer yet. I asked the shop owner how long he had this in his inventory. He said about 3 years. I asked him if he could call Century up and find out what they might do about a visable hairline crack on the receiver near the breech. He called and found out they wouldn't do a dang thing about a defect because the gun left their facility over 3 years before even though it was never sold. He vowed to never do business with Century again. I am not saying they are the only worthless trash business in the industry, but probably the biggest one. I think I am being 100% fair and honest when I say that the WASR's are the lowest quality AK sporter on the planet before Century even gets to make them potentially worse by misaligning a mag well or some other conversion characteristic. They already show up from Romania with out of spec rejected arsenal parts that Romania would not even allow on their select fire real military rifles. Then Century's own Bubba gets his shot at figuring out how to make things even worse. I personally would never suggest a WASR.
A WASR is like a middle aged gypsy fortune teller with several transplanted organs from older dead organ donor gypsies. Shes got a glass eye and few steel pins in her right hip but she should reliably be able to beat a tamborine and scare the coyotes away with her gypsy scream. You might might get lucky on your wedding night or you might be the one getting screwed when you find out she is not who you thought she was. Beware of century's gypsie
brides.

The Kalashnikov Klub

Last edited by my762buzz; 03-02-2010 at 00:10..
my762buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 17:06   #13
J. Parker

I've got a Romy G from Century Arms model GP1975. American made receiver, American made barrel, Tapco G2 trigger group, and Tapco buttstock. Looks good and works perfect.
J. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 21:43   #14
Stubudd

check it out

http://www.classicarms.us/
Stubudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 22:11   #15
speedydave
KoolAid Drinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubudd View Post
Wow! That's a great link, and they are in driving range too!
Old 03-04-2010, 22:14   #16
toshbar
Timber Baron

Quote:
Hey neighbor!
2 4 R

Old 03-05-2010, 08:16   #17
CarlosC
AK Fanatic

Quote:
But they don't have a store and are not prepared to sell retail. Go to the Contact Information page at Classic and have Eric do the transfer as they suggest. Be sure to follow the instructions for doing the transfer. Basically, the way it works is you'll okay the transfer through Eric, then call Classic and purchase the gun with your CC. Go to Eric's (he'll already have your gun), fill out the paperwork and pay him for the transfer. Drive home with the gun.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:25   #18
toshbar
Timber Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosC View Post
But they don't have a store and are not prepared to sell retail. Go to the Contact Information page at Classic and have Eric do the transfer as they suggest. Be sure to follow the instructions for doing the transfer. Basically, the way it works is you'll okay the transfer through Eric, then call Classic and purchase the gun with your CC. Go to Eric's (he'll already have your gun), fill out the paperwork and pay him for the transfer. Drive home with the gun.
I've bought from them and had them ship to me, but from looking at their website I'd just like to walk around in their warehouse for a while.
2 4 R

Old 03-05-2010, 09:47   #19
CarlosC
AK Fanatic

Do you have a C&R or a full FFL?

It's funny you should mention walking around their warehouse. I have a C&R and a few years ago, I bought a Moisin-Nagant 91-30 from Classic. When it arrived, it was not in the condition I expected, so I called them up to see about an exchange. Rather than spending money on shipping back and forth between both of us for another sample I might not be happy with, they let me go up there and pick out the replacement I wanted. I know they were a little hesitant because you never know who is going to show up. I guess once they saw I was relatively harmless, they let me not only pick out my replacement gun, but they let me walk around the warehouse in the back. I was able to pick out another rifle...my K-98k from dozens of samples.
The place is very nondescript and I even drove by it a few times because I didn't realize that was Classic Arms. For their sake, I won't mention any more about their business locale, but I was certainly surprised.
Same thing happened when I drove down to Peach State Armory. It literally looked like an office at a strip mall. I remember standing outside their business calling their receptionist on my cell because I could not find them. The call went like this..
Carlos: Okay, I am in the parking lot standing outside my car. I don't see you guys.
PSA: Are you driving a black car? Wearing sunglasses, blue jeans, red shirt?
Carlos: Yes
PSA: You are standing at our front door. Let me let you in.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:02   #20
toshbar
Timber Baron

no. what I meant was that they shipped the gun to a local ffl and I picked it up. point being that I did not go to their location.
2 4 R