Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-06-2010, 20:04   #1
SafetyGuy83

Hotel Situation

So here is the situation. I am working outside of San Antonio, Texas working night shift right now. I recently had to move out of the house I am renting for the weekend so they could make some repairs. So Friday mornign I check into a local hotel. The neighborhood looks ok but I am not from here and really don't know. It is Friday morning about 8am and I am sleeping in the bed when someone knocks on the door softly and then opens it. I had that little latched that swings over the knob locked but it still allowed the door to open a few inches. I yell out and a MALE voice says, "Sorry, I didn't know you were in here". He closes the door and leaves. I go back to sleep thinking it was maintenance guy or something that didn't realize I had checked in that early.
11am rolls around and again the door opens. This time no knock and I see a hand come through the door and start trying to work the lock open allowing the door to come completely open. Upon seeing this I jumped out of bed grabbed the USP and pushed the door shut on the mans wrist. He started screaming and fighting to get loose. I let the door come open and he took off. I reported this to the hotel, however they did not call the police.

Does anyone have any tactics or tips for staying in a hotel safely? I stay in them quite often and this is not the first time I have been gun in hand addressing a threat at the door.
Old 03-06-2010, 21:08   #2
ctaggart

I sleep with a pillow under my gun when in the hotels.

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/swege.html

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-26.../dp/B0002YUX8I
Old 03-06-2010, 21:28   #3
Glock30 Guy
XD40

I used to travel a lot internationally for work. I also had similar issues. I had a small collapsible bar that wedged into the floor and then against the door knob. I paid about $75 for it out of a travel magazine. It was just small enough to fit into a suitcase. I also carried a door sensor that was a loud siren if the door opened.

"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
Glock30 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 22:05   #4
SafetyGuy83

I will have to look into purchasing something like that. I think I may need to move hotels though. After talking to a friend it has become clear that it was and attempted inside job and whoever this guy was he had a maid key that allowed him to unlock the door. I will be filing a complaint with the corporate office about the way the situation was handled by the hotel staff. I don't think they grasped the gravity of the situation.

They may have realized the gravity had the situation escalated and this mystery man ended up with a chest full of .40.
Old 03-07-2010, 00:18   #5
swotivated

Definitely switch hotels. Consider filing a police report.
swotivated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:03   #6
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

My entire posse was once cleaned out when we were in France, years ago by the hotel staff. They went to some club, and all assembled in the lobby getting cabs before they left. I was the only one who stayed behind.

That night I was in my room, and the same thing that happened to you happened to me. I was 1/2 asleep, the person attempted to enter - I thought it was a member of my party (we often shared keys because we kept our equipment spread out in all the rooms instead of storing it with the hotels).

Next morning when folks came back from clubbing, two US passports - gone. One wedding ring gone (she had a heck of a time 'splaining to her husband), tons of jewelry, laptops, etc - all gone, and the police did squat about it.

If you have a small car safe with a heavy duty lock, secure it to a water pipe, drain or hvac in the room while you are away, get a room on the 2nd floor as far away from the elevators/ice machine as possible, and make vocal and repeated complaints to the MANAGER of the joint.

'Drew
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:22   #7
Glock-it-to-me
Catching liars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctaggart View Post
I find it more comfortable with the weapon under the pillow.
Glock-it-to-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 15:38   #8
PirateLookingAtForty

First, stay in better hotels.

Second, call the police yourself. Screw the hotel.

Third, simple rubber door wedges will prevent this while you're in the room. I carry two sizes, and have yet to find a hotel door that one or the other won't fit. Two or three dollars each.
PirateLookingAtForty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 23:14   #9
ctaggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock-it-to-me View Post
I find it more comfortable with the weapon under the pillow.
My weapons are so manly that they don't fit under my pillow. I've adjusted.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:23   #10
6F0 Nick
Just Wanna Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctaggart View Post
My weapons are so manly that they don't fit under my pillow. I've adjusted.
I sleep in the closet, weapon in hand, one eye open.
Old 03-08-2010, 16:41   #11
badlands99

Something else to think about...

I travel a good bit too, and sometimes stay in hotels that are not in such nice areas. I also have a lot of expensive gear with me when I do, so I'm always on yellow alert, it seems. Here's something else I found that you should know about that is more of a concern for theft than for self defense, but still worth keeping in mind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAkJRpKeyYg&feature
badlands99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 18:05   #12
BigKid

Your door didn't have a dead bolt to accompany the latch? Or are these people using magnetic cards programmed to your door?
California Glockers Club Member #308
Tactical Shotgun Club Member #308
BigKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 19:13   #13
mitchshrader
Deceased

Good many hotels now have interior room entrances, magnetic key codes, and cameras in the hallways.

There's a reason for that, and you pay for it whether your hotel does or doesn't.

If it doesn't have good security, it'll get the thieves the secure hotels frighten off. You're better off being THERE, even if it's another 20-30$ a night.
Old 03-08-2010, 20:16   #14
ijacek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6F0 Nick View Post
I sleep in the closet, weapon in hand, one eye open.
You are my hero, man!
Old 03-08-2010, 20:51   #15
SafetyGuy83

Yeah I usually stay in nicer hotels but I travel for work and generally work off of per diem. Sometimes its decent sometimes its barely enough to get a hotel. In this particular instance I rented a house by the month. I learned a long time ago this is the cheapest, safest and most confortable way to do it. Unfortunately, I had to move out for the weekend and just needed a cheap hotel for a night or two. Lesson learned.

No outside entrances
Get a wedge
Always lock the door with all available devices
Don't be cheap
And of course Always sleep in the closet, gun in hand and one eye open
Old 03-08-2010, 22:10   #16
CJCinTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyGuy83 View Post
No outside entrances
Get a wedge
Always lock the door with all available devices
Don't be cheap
And of course Always sleep in the closet, gun in hand and one eye open
As I have to stay in hotels for my job, I had not thought of the wedges. But I will now.

I always use all the locks, keep my gun on the nightstand beside my flashlight, glasses, and cell phone.

Glad everything worked out alright for you.
CJCinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 23:58   #17
PhoneCop
TeleDetective

You should have shouldered the door as hard as you could. Tell the police to look for the guy missing a hand, or they could fingerprint the one in the refrigerator...

Make sure you sleep naked and tell the hand's owner, "I am ripper, tearer, slasher! I am the teeth in the darkness! Mine is strength and lust, and power! I am (insert name here)!"

Last edited by PhoneCop; 03-09-2010 at 00:01..
PhoneCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 00:07   #18
PhoneCop
TeleDetective

OH! Pin the hand then cut it with your tactical folder, or mabe break a finger. Tell him you hope he's learned his lesson.
PhoneCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 00:51   #19
SafetyGuy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneCop View Post
You should have shouldered the door as hard as you could. Tell the police to look for the guy missing a hand, or they could fingerprint the one in the refrigerator...

Make sure you sleep naked and tell the hand's owner, "I am ripper, tearer, slasher! I am the teeth in the darkness! Mine is strength and lust, and power! I am (insert name here)!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneCop View Post
OH! Pin the hand then cut it with your tactical folder, or mabe break a finger. Tell him you hope he's learned his lesson.
I do sleep in my birthday suit so had he actually gotten in he may have found himself being tackled by a big naked man! I think the awkwardness of the situation (think borat) combined with the inadequacey he would feel afterward would have been punishment enough

In all seriousness though it happened very quickly. I am guessing from the time his hand came in the door til I had released his hand and he took off could not have been more than 15 seconds. If I would have had time to think a broken finger may have been in order. Or at least a good line. Something like "This is my cookie jar! Keep your hands out of it!" Ok well I had time to think about that one and still couldn't come up with anything good...
Old 03-11-2010, 19:53   #20
MacG22
CLM Number 213
Charter Lifetime Member

This site, "corporate travel safety" has some good info. Poke around and you'll find a link to a little video that shows how easy it is to break into a room...even at a luxury hotel.

http://www.kevincoffey.com/hotel/hotel_safety.htm

I got a swedge from these guys and use it whenever I travel (at least a week a month and usually in good hotels). I pulled the battery out because I don't want the alarm, but the wedge itself is about the best I've found.