Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-08-2010, 22:12   #1
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

Optic(s) for shotgun(s)

Hey question , and please frank and mix chime in also,

Tell me about some good and cheap optics ... Want a red dot for my 930 SPX to be used in conjunction with the ghost rings ( I can mount it on the rail " above " the GRS and use either or depending on sit right ?) and i'm thinkig about getting a rifled slug barrel , so I'd like a decEnt scope to put n that...

Would be nice of they could also be used on y future benelli...

And the ACOG is strictly for ars right ? Caus there's a sweet deal on a acog knockoff on eBay ( srry for spelling postinn from iPhone )

ScrappyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 22:48   #2
Devin459

Well, the bullet drop compensation on ACOGs are made for the .223 fired out of the AR/m16/m4 platform. There are different ACOGs for each platform, and also for different barrel lengths and the grains of bullets you are using. Doesn't mean you can't mount them on a shotgun, it just won't do you much good. They are very expensive and quite a jump from the "cheap" red dot you are thinking about. They come in at no less than $1000. I've said this many times before, you should not waste your money on a cheap red dot, especially when you are wanting to use it on 12 gauge. Those cheap red dots that you see are made more for .22 caliber rifles or any calibers in that range. If you are going to get a red dot, I would recommend paying at least $150 for one, but the reliable ones come in at around $200+.. IMO if your going to make an investment on a red dot, just get an eotech holo. They are proven sights and should not fail with a shotgun. With a cheap red dot, you will almost certainly lose your zero after firing a few 12 gauge shells, whether it is low brass #8 dove loads or 3 inch magnum slugs. Also, many of those cheap red dots will lose zero when changing the reticle, and don't expect the glass or internals to withstand the recoil of a 12 gauge passed your first outing. Most likely the glass will just shatter, and/or the internals will be destroyed(especially with slugs.)

Last edited by Devin459; 03-08-2010 at 22:56..
Devin459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 13:55   #3
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

I would just stick with the GRs or maybe get night sights. They seem to be fast enough for anything in shotgun range. I'd choose a plain bead sight over a cheap optic for sure. There is some nice stuff out there if you want to drop the dough. The Aimpoint Micro would be nice mounted on that top rail but I'd rather buy another gun or a pile of ammo with that $500.

Optics are overkill on a shotgun IMO.