Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-06-2010, 14:17   #1
Veritas1911

After-market Glock Barrels

For all you competitive Glock shooters, what do you all recommend as a replacement barrel for the G34 to primarily shoot lead cast?

I guess the popular choices these days are Bar-Sto, EFK, Stormlake, KKM.
Veritas1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 16:09   #2
ede
Bama's Friend

KKM is all i'll use. bar-sto is very good but all i've seen need fitted. if they were free i wouldn't use LW, EFK, or storm lake.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 17:20   #3
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ede View Post
KKM is all i'll use. bar-sto is very good but all i've seen need fitted. if they were free i wouldn't use LW, EFK, or storm lake.
BOOOOO!!!!

I would use KKM too, they are very good indeed... but you pay through the nose and in my case the difference is marginal and not worth the expense.

I have a LWD bought it used for $65,outperforms my stock barrel in 5-7 shot groups at 15-25 yards, no problems with it at all, worked right off the bat with no fitting.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 20:16   #4
jhayesvw

i have thousands upon thousands of lead cast bullets (dardas mostly) through my Lone Wolf barrels.
not one issue.
i get about a 2.5" group at 20 yds. thats not too bad for a $100 barrel.
well, mine was $110 since i got it blindmarked.

would i use a KKM, sure, but not at 60% more. i dont think you would see 60% increase in anything with it but the price.
Old 02-06-2010, 20:26   #5
dsmw5142
NRA Member

I have a Lone Wolf barrel in 9mm for my G34 and a Lone Wolf barrel in .40 for my G35. Both work just fine and are a great value. Never had a KKM, but the LWD barrels shoot nearly as well as the factory barrels. The chamber is a bit tighter than factory. I bought an EGW 'U' Die in .40 and solved the "glock bulge" issue of sometimes not chambering or case gauging.

Rudy Project USA IDPA squad
dsmw5142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 22:30   #6
MSgt Dotson

I've got both two LWD conversion barrels, and both have been flawless...

Each is well worth the $100 or so!
MSgt Dotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 23:04   #7
MarkTX

Lone Wolf for all my gamer Glocks. The accuracy is no better or worse than the stock barrel, but the chambers are always tighter and the LWB always handles the lead.

Since I tend to shoot a bunch of reloaded ammo the LWB is a great "piece of mind" value and I've had no trouble with any of them. And I own 5 -all with the goofy logo, but I bought em to shoot not to look at so they are a great value IMO.
Mark in TX (.40 club #32)
IDPA Classifications:
CDP/EX (via bump at TX State 2010),
ESP/EX (via bump at Nationals 2010),
SSP/EX (via classifier).
MarkTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:01   #8
buyobuyo

I run a Storm Lake in my G17 and haven't had any problems with it. I've only shot FMJ through it so far, but I'm getting set up to start casting.
buyobuyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 17:09   #9
Veritas1911

The votes are in:

LWD - 5 recommends - $100
KKM - 1 recommend - $165
SL - 1 recommend - $160

Sounds like you can't beat the value of a Lone Wolf?

BTW, Lone Wolf is a distributor so I assume they don't actually manufacture their barrels like the others. So where are their barrels coming from?
Old 02-07-2010, 17:52   #10
Singlestack Wonder

Why change out the stock barrel for an inferior one?

Little known fact....Federal Ammunition uses only Glock barrels to test and prove their handgun ammunition.

As far as lead bullets goes....been shooting lead out of Glock barrels since 1987 with no issues. Don't buy into the urban legend created when someone fired enough super soft lead bullets thru their pistol without cleaning to line the barrel with 1/16" of lead and then blame the manufacturer when the barrel splits.
Old 02-07-2010, 17:53   #11
MSgt Dotson

Quality steel is quality steel.....don't ask
MSgt Dotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 18:23   #12
Veritas1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
Why change out the stock barrel for an inferior one?

Little known fact....Federal Ammunition uses only Glock barrels to test and prove their handgun ammunition.

As far as lead bullets goes....been shooting lead out of Glock barrels since 1987 with no issues. Don't buy into the urban legend created when someone fired enough super soft lead bullets thru their pistol without cleaning to line the barrel with 1/16" of lead and then blame the manufacturer when the barrel splits.
LWD - 5 recommends - $100
KKM - 1 recommend - $165
SL - 1 recommend - $160
Stock - 1 recommend - $0

I like this latest option.
Old 02-07-2010, 18:38   #13
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
When manufacturer themselves recommended not using a lead bullets whether factory or self reloaded you ought to listen. There is a reason for it called: liability, cause they know there can be issues.

To each there own, great that you have had luck since 1987. I know of many other that have and tried myself. I've also witnessed firsthand at a IPSC match... a KB on the range with a G22 with a freshly cleaned barrel prior, user was shooting lead the instance happened at the 120ish round fired.

It's not an urban legend there is plenty of documented testing regarding the sudden pressure increases that can happen when shooting lead in polygon rifled barrels and not just Glocks. One that comes to mind is the "KB" chapter in Robin Taylors "The Glock in competiton".

The safest route is to go aftermarket period.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 02-07-2010 at 19:15..
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 19:05   #14
Poppa Bear
CLM Number 45
Protective G'pa

The problem with Glock barrels are much the same for any polygonal barrel, they lead up differently than standard land and groove barrels.

I shoot black bullets out of my G35. After the first 10 I checked the barrel for leading, looked good. Shot another 100 or so and checked again, still looked good. Now after I shoot a match I give it a quick check just to make sure it has no unusual build up.
My bullets are not loaded hot so I do not expect to have any issues with “Leading”. It is true for any lead bullet, keep the loads on the slow side and you should not develop enough velocity to “Melt” the bullet.
"The Second Amendment is not about duck hunting, and I know I'm not going to make very many friends saying this, but it's about our right, all of our right to be able to protect ourselves from all of you guys up there." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp, appearing before Representative Charles Schumer's committee hearings on the assault weapons ban
Poppa Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 21:30   #15
W4CNG

Send a message via AIM to W4CNG
G35 Barrels??

I have and use Storm Lake Barrels in my G35. No issues.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
W4CNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 21:45   #16
ept000

I have two different G19's both with Sorm Lake barrels. They work perfect and as soon as I get a G17 I'll get a SL for that as well.
ept000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 22:04   #17
jhayesvw

my buddy does have a storm lake in his M&P9. works great too.
another friend of mine only runs KKM barrels. i guess its a matter of preference.
Old 02-08-2010, 00:20   #18
coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
BOOOOO!!!!

I would use KKM too, they are very good indeed... but you pay through the nose and in my case the difference is marginal and not worth the expense.

I have a LWD bought it used for $65,outperforms my stock barrel in 5-7 shot groups at 15-25 yards, no problems with it at all, worked right off the bat with no fitting.
Agreed. For the same price, KKM. Real prices, LWD. I've owned both (LWD x4 and KKM x2), and have run a KKM and LWD in a G19 in IDPA. Also, owned Storm Lake (x2). The KKM is the better barrel, but not at almost twice the price. The LWD is by FAR the better value.

|
|
|
|
(
/
) |
|
|
coal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 21:39   #19
shotgunred
reloading nut

I have owned 2 LW and 1 Olympic.

Like a lot of things Olympic makes this barrel is pure garbage!
Odds are pretty good I am getting another LW this year. this time I am getting it black and blind cut.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 20:17   #20
nraman

I had nothing but bad luck with aftermarket barrels. It started with a "drop in" Jarvis converting the G20 to 40S&W. I had to do a lot of fitting. A KKM Beretta barrel wouldn't even fit in the frame till I did some fitting, after that it worked great. 2 LW 9mm threaded barrels were refusing to group at all, one of them would lock a little low on the slide and when I pulled the trigger it would move up in the fully locked position. I returned those.
I don't need these problems, I stick with factory now and don't have any problems at all. For some reason, the factory barrels always fit and work as they should.