GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-09-2010, 19:42   #1
BIGGUNS911

Any more suggestions regarding tac lights for boss?

Below are some pro's to the use of a Weapon mounted light. Any other suggestions on how I can make my point and get the boss to let use carry them? Thanks in advance

Tactical light benefits for patrol use:
Two handed shooting:
More stable for better accuracy during gunfights
Ability to have one hand on gun and use the other for movement of items
During searches a Deputy is required to open car doors, trunks, house doors, closet doors, move items out of their way and possibly climb over things. When doing a search with a flash light in hand the Deputy is put at a larger disadvantage over their adversary. While opening doors the Deputy must place the handheld light under his arm, in mouth or on the floor. If the Deputy is surprised or must take action he is slowed to respond. In some cases he will have to drop his handheld light and risk losing the ability to see the suspect.
Injured Deputy is at a great disadvantage with handheld light:
If a Deputy is injured and losses control over one of his arms he will be unable to hold a handheld flashlight and his weapon. With the use of a tactical gun mounted light he will still be able to continue the fight and possibly save his or others lives.
Greater control of gun during low/no light shootings:
During a low to no light shooting the Deputy will have the advantage over his adversary by having both hands on the gun. When the gun is pointed in on a adversary during a shooting the light is directed at the target, both hands are on the gun and the sight naturally line up. The disadvantage to using a handheld flashlight during shooting is the control of several fine motor skills at once. Pointing the beam of light, pointing the gun, lining up the sights and pressing the trigger.
I feel like this sometimes when I am attempting to get change.
BIGGUNS911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:22   #2
beatcop

Stop making that kind of sense. It's the cost of the holster, light, & working up a training program that hold up the works.

If you get a clothing allowance, you may be able to suggest that you'll use it for the initial purchase of gear...worked for my pd.
beatcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:05   #3
sapper1911

Beatcop is right. The only thing that worked for us was for individuals to purchase the light and holster. The S.O. only allowed the M3, but latter authorized m3, m3x and procyon. I had many talks with our rangemaster who is tring to get the list expanded to any light that is authorized by him and we should have an answer this week. As far as training, that to was left up to the individual to get.
sapper1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 15:00   #4
bfg1971

If you only have one flashlight then you are already behind in the game.

Read Fight at Night by Andy Stanford. Its by Paladin press but you might be able to interlibrary loan it. 205 pages easy reading

Covers lights, NVG's, tactics it should help your arguement.

Capacity without capability is useless!
bfg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 21:13   #5
beatcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper1911 View Post
Beatcop is right. The only thing that worked for us was for individuals to purchase the light and holster. The S.O. only allowed the M3, but latter authorized m3, m3x and procyon. I had many talks with our rangemaster who is tring to get the list expanded to any light that is authorized by him and we should have an answer this week. As far as training, that to was left up to the individual to get.
We initially used m-3's and safariland sls holsters. You can accidentally leave the light on and melt the thin plastic that covers the opening....slight odor while sitting in the car.

You need a range day with them..too many possible screw-ups: leaving the light on continuously while shooting(& a ton of other poor techniques), using the light as a flashlight (gun pointing around when it shouldn't be out), etc.
beatcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:31   #6
BIGGUNS911

All great ideas boys, I now have the two other firearms instructors helping me on this. Hopefully with all three of us pushing for it, proper info, training and just luck we will get it. The funny thing is I don't even want them to pay for the light or holster. If one wants to carry it they have to pay for it. We will see how it goes. Thanks again, Big
BIGGUNS911 is offline   Reply With Quote