GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:39   #1
mixflip

I shot a perfect 36 out of 36 on qual's todat but have a question?

I had to qual today and knocked it out the park. (pat myself on the back since I am not a great shot normally due to lack of funds to train mostly)

Anyway, my question is, when shooting support hand how do you guys sight in as far as eyes go? Do you keep using your dominant eye and just switch your grip? Or do you switch your grip...and switch your focus from one eye to the other?

I personally keep looking out of my dominant eye (right) and just switched my grip when forced to shoot from support hand. It worked for me obviously since I got a perfect score but I was wondering what the hard core shooters here at GT do?

We did a fun exercise before the qual too, which actually was kinda depressing. We did a stress shoot of 3 rounds at 50 yards....and I only got one hit (an extremely low groin hit) and the rest were fliers that didnt even hit the cardboard.

I know alot of you can hit a fly off a dogs back at 50 yards (like Hickock45) but it was tough for me under stress at that distance. It solidified my justification for fighting my way back to a long gun.

Last edited by mixflip; 03-10-2010 at 21:17..
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:29   #2
beatcop

Opinions vary, but just rotate your head to keep your dominant eye behind the sights. Don't worry about 50 yard shots, they help tune your static marksmanship fundamentals, but bear no resemblance to the realities of combat pistol shooting. Work on a smooth draw and getting the first well aimed shot on target in a hurry.
beatcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:16   #3
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Obviously, for long gun, the eye you use is dependent on which side the gun is mounted on. For handgun either rotate the head, or depending on your body position.

Examples:

You are shooting around a barricade, which is providing cover, and you are using your non dominant hand. If you are not cross eye dominant, you should use your non dominant eye, otherwise you will expose too much of your head to your adversary. (So if you are righty, shooting lefty, leaning lefty from behind a barricade, but you are right eye dominant - use your left eye. Of course, if you are 1/2 blind in one eye like me, then you whatever eye works.

You happen upon a situation where you immediately had to exit your cruiser, and take cover on the street, using a curb as cover, you are lying on your usual shooting side (right handed), and you are right eye dominant. The only hand available to make the shot would be your non-dominant hand. If you are right eye dominant, it would not behoove you to use your dominant eye, as again, raising your head that much to make the shot would mean more of your most important body part is exposed.

Outside of scenarios such as these (where exposure might be detrimental), I usually advocate using the dominant eye as beatcop as outlined above.

But above all things I subscribe to the school that what tactics we use should be solely driven by the needs of the situation + our skills sets, more than anything else.

And yeah, good job on the 50 yard shot!

'Drew
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:22   #4
lethal tupperwa

I just Moved The Gun (pistol) in front of the dominate eye.

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:55   #5
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
...But above all things I subscribe to the school that what tactics we use should be solely driven by the needs of the situation + tools available! + our skills sets, more than anything else.
Sorry for the omission.

'Drew
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 21:51   #6
Blaster
Hunc tu caveto

You should practice using either eye going weak hand. This is a drill that assumes your strong side is out of the fight. You have been injured. Therefore the possibility exists that one of your eyes may have sustained damage.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote