SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:23   #1
cop414

10 22 journey

Guys-
Late last summer I bought a Ruger 10-22 for plinking with my daughter, I started modding it even though I promised myself that I wouldn't... you who have traveled this road know exactly what's coming. I ended up slightly modding the first one, totally redid the trigger group, refinished the receiver and added hi viz sights, then I kept my promise and put it away... and then bought a second one! I decided to build an "ultimate" as they say at Rimfire central. I wanted a very light, very compact, well balanced and above all extremely accurate 10-22. My mods are listed below. I ended up with a 6 pound, perfectly balanced super compact rifle. As far as accuracy, from the bench at 25 yards with CCI standard velocity ammo on Thanksgiving day afternoon I shot my best five shot group yet with this gun - .187 inch group, measured center to center. For comparison, I was able to cover the group with an asprin!
This rifle is a joy to shoot either from the bench or off hand. The trigger breaks clean with no pre travel right at 2.5 pounds!
During this "journey" I accumulated lots of parts that I knew sooner or later I would be posting for sale. Later today I'm going to go through what I have and am going to post them in the want ads. Off the top of my head I know that I have three bull barrels, two Hogue overmolded stocks, at least one metal trigger group housing and one plastic one. Any of you that post at Rimfirecentral feel free to let your buds there know what I have up for grabs. I was going to keep all of it for future builds but after I totalled up what I spent on this one I think I have to give it a bit of a rest for now. Specs and pics as promised...

Base 10 22 Carbine
Volquartsen THM carbon fiber shrouded barrel
Leupold VX1 2-7 x 28 fine duplex reticle rimfire scope
Leupold alumina scope covers
Leupold Rifleman low rings
Hogue overmolded stock ghillie tan
Tactical Solutions magazine release
Raven eye oversize trigger group pins
Power Custon hammer and adjustable sear kit
Volquartsen takedown screw
Volquartsen target trigger
Volquartsen exact edge extractor
Stock bolt reworked by Connecticut Percision Chambering (bolt radiused, polished, firing pin pinned in channel, headspace reground and squared, bolt side jeweled)
Tuffer buffer bolt buffer
DIY removed all factory finish, polished receiver inside and out then refinished with Aluma hyde II
DIY modified 10-22 magnum bolt charging assembly to fit receiver
DIY radiused and polished trigger return plunger
DIY auto bolt release

Total cost including base rifle was just a tad over $1100.00
Lethal Force Institute I, Street Survival, Certified Glock Armorer, Sub Club #414, Kel Tec talk #5, Freemasons Lodge #31, Past Master Danville F&AM Lodge #224

25 years of being the toilet paper that wipes society's ***!!

Last edited by cop414; 09-07-2010 at 17:15..
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:15   #2
XDRoX

Looks awesome. Great job!
I have always wanted a light weight 10/22, but have never got around to building one.
How much are you going to sell one of the houge stocks for?
XDRoX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:08   #3
cop414

stock

XDRoX
I've posted the items in the want ads, firearms parts with descriptions and prices. You have first dibs on either stock if you want. (one of those barrels would go great with the tan one!!) PM me if interested.
Sgt Tim
Lethal Force Institute I, Street Survival, Certified Glock Armorer, Sub Club #414, Kel Tec talk #5, Freemasons Lodge #31, Past Master Danville F&AM Lodge #224

Old 01-09-2010, 00:46   #4
DJ Niner

Folks, there is no selling allowed in Glock Talk's discussion forums. If there are any more comments about buying/selling/trading, I'm going to close this thread.

Cool rifle, by the way. I'm a recovering 10/22-aholic, so I'd better leave now before I fall off the wagon.
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:38   #5
cop414

sorry

DJ-
Thanks for the compliment.
These things are quite addicitive aren't they!

Sgt Tim

PS
I will not respond to anyone in this thread posting about the for sale items unless you PM, email please or post in the want ads. I really don't want to have this thread locked.

Old 03-15-2010, 23:33   #6
3rdgen40
.45 fanatic

Very nice...
Old 03-15-2010, 23:44   #7
SHG21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
Guys-
Late last summer I bought a Ruger 10-22 for plinking with my daughter, I started modding it even though I promised myself that I wouldn't... you who have traveled this road know exactly what's coming. I ended up slightly modding the first one, totally redid the trigger group, refinished the receiver and added hi viz sights, then I kept my promise and put it away... and then bought a second one! I decided to build an "ultimate" as they say at Rimfire central. I wanted a very light, very compact, well balanced and above all extremely accurate 10-22. My mods are listed below. I ended up with a 6 pound, perfectly balanced super compact rifle. As far as accuracy, from the bench at 25 yards with CCI standard velocity ammo on Thanksgiving day afternoon I shot my best five shot group yet with this gun - .187 inch group, measured center to center. For comparison, I was able to cover the group with an asprin!
This rifle is a joy to shoot either from the bench or off hand. The trigger breaks clean with no pre travel right at 2.5 pounds!
During this "journey" I accumulated lots of parts that I knew sooner or later I would be posting for sale. Later today I'm going to go through what I have and am going to post them in the want ads. Off the top of my head I know that I have three bull barrels, two Hogue overmolded stocks, at least one metal trigger group housing and one plastic one. Any of you that post at Rimfirecentral feel free to let your buds there know what I have up for grabs. I was going to keep all of it for future builds but after I totalled up what I spent on this one I think I have to give it a bit of a rest for now. Specs and pics as promised...

Base 10 22 Carbine
Volquartsen THM carbon fiber shrouded barrel
Leupold VX1 2-7 x 28 fine duplex reticle rimfire scope
Leupold alumina scope covers
Leupold Rifleman low rings
Hogue overmolded stock ghillie tan
Tactical Solutions magazine release
Raven eye oversize trigger group pins
Power Custon hammer and adjustable sear kit
Volquartsen takedown screw
Volquartsen target trigger
Volquartsen exact edge extractor
Stock bolt reworked by Connecticut Percision Chambering (bolt radiused, polished, firing pin pinned in channel, headspace reground and squared, bolt side jeweled)
Tuffer buffer bolt buffer
DIY removed all factory finish, polished receiver inside and out then refinished with Aluma hyde II
DIY modified 10-22 magnum bolt charging assembly to fit receiver
DIY radiused and polished trigger return plunger
DIY auto bolt release

Total cost including base rifle was just a tad over $1100.00
Very cool. What mods do you feel increased the accuracy of the 10/22 the most?
SHG21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:08   #8
steve1911

Very nice build, VQ barrels are out standing.

1911club#410
Old 03-16-2010, 11:22   #9
cop414

10 22 accuracy

SHG21-
If I would have to pick just one thing I would have to say the barrel, this VQ carbon fiber sleeved THM barrel is amazing. Next in my opinion would have to be your glass. I might be kind of a "scope snob" but as I've read many times - you can't hit what you can't see! Working the trigger group would have to come in third, it was a tedious process for me, especially with the adjustable sear and the very, very careful polishing, but when you massage the factory group with the right aftermarket internals you can establish an amazing trigger pull. Lastly and what I considered the crowning touch is to have the bolt reworked. I used Randy at CPC and it was money well spent ($55.00) Perfect functioning, smoother cocking and the jeweling of the bolt is the cherry on the sundae...
One of the best things about this rifle is the fact that I can drop every shot into one hole from the bench, then switch out to cheaper ammo and plink away off hand at pretty much any distance between 15 and 50 - 60 yards. It really has become a "do it all" gun for me. This is one of the few that will never be sold, but will be passed down.
Like so many out there I bought my first 10-22 without any thought at all of modifying it other than the sights. I still have that one, synthetic stock, stainless bbl, I did the internals the same as the hogue I've posted here and added hi viz sights and then left it alone, and have been able to keep it that way, but it's sooo tempting to mess with it. It's not near as accurate as my other one but still a blast to shoot. Tin cans at 15 yards is pretty much the most I do with it but the kids love it.
Thanks for the compliments.
BTW - check out rimfirecentral.com that's where I got almost all of my information and tips. Check out the ultimate picture threads, wow... there's some fantastic 10-22's there, but once again... hold onto your wallet!

Tim

Last edited by cop414; 03-16-2010 at 11:24..
Old 03-16-2010, 16:45   #10
CC Glock

very nice rifle. I just put a Shooters Ridge bull barrel and stock combo on my 10/22. Im sure it will be more accurate than the stock barrel but no where near as accurate as yours.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:13   #11
cop414

10 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Glock View Post
very nice rifle. I just put a Shooters Ridge bull barrel and stock combo on my 10/22. Im sure it will be more accurate than the stock barrel but no where near as accurate as yours.
CC-
Do you post on rimfirecentral? Someone there was about to put the same combo on and had responses that that combo is quite good. One of the best things about shooting these is that even with decent ammo parctice can be really cheap. I try to keep all my targets for the year, it's nice to look back through and see my improvement just from practicing.
Thanks for the compliment.

Tim

Old 03-17-2010, 09:32   #12
CC Glock

No GT is the only fourm im on. Im going shooting today so i will post on how it goes. The stock barrel was pretty accurate so i can't wait to see what this new barrel will do.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:41   #13
cop414

10 22

CC-
Good luck, I'm working second shift this weekend and am hoping t get out Sat or Sun AM. I usually have two seasons to target shoot - plink. Spring before it gets too hot and buggy and in the fall once it cools off, I love going out during the fall to shoot.
What kind of glass do you have on your 10 - 22? Any other mods yet? Not that I have to tell you but I tried probably 12 - 15 different kinds of ammo in mine. Not surprising standard vel did the best, CCI SV and Wolf MT are pretty much all I shoot in mine.
Tim

Last edited by cop414; 03-17-2010 at 11:44..
Old 03-18-2010, 08:35   #14
CC Glock

I dont have any other mods yet other than the cleaning up the trigger alittle bit. I bought some cheap Federal Lightning or somthing like that...they sucked. I thought somthing was wrong with my barrel cause every round FTE. I fianlly looked at the caseing and everyone of the necks were bent. I was sweating alittle bit but ran some CCI mini-mags through it and it was flawless. At 25 yards i was able to put all ten rounds in one jagged whole that could be covered up with a nickle.

What glass do i have.....this may make you laugh. I have put several different scopes on it but the one that works the best is a little Cricket scope. Its fixed power with mill dots. Just last weekend i killed a crow at 75 yards with it and that was with the stock barrel. My dad hates them cause they eat corn out of his deer feeders as well as tree rats. Its a nice little scope.