Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-07-2010, 17:14   #1
glock39

Self Defense training for a cane?

I have recently become interested in the use of a cane for self-defense. Partly this is due to still having a slight limp after an auto wreck, and partly just because a cane seems like an excellent tool for those situations where you're not justified in using "lethal" force.

I'm still trying to do some basic research on the subject and I'm having trouble selecting some good training DVD's (and/or books). It seems that most of the "Cane Fighting" training is geared toward the Martial Arts. While some of the Martial Artsy stuff is certainly applicable to self-defense, much of it is not. For example:

The Martial Arts videos will show someone grabbing your shoulder from behind. The conditioned reflex taught is to first break the hold and then immediately swing at their head. Well, if the person that grabbed your shoulder turns out to be a "harmless" panhandler, then you'd better have a really good explanation to the Judge & Jury as to why you thought it was necessary to fracture his skull. The standard Martial Arts maneuver to move in and "finish off" an opponent who's already down (with a potentially lethal or crippling blow) could have unpleasant legal consequences afterwards. One video demonstrated a choke hold where you hooked the cane around the back of your attacker's neck, then drew his throat forward against your opposing forearm. With all due respect toward the otherwise knowledgeable Martial Arts master, if your opponent had any kind of knife, he'd gut you like a fish before he passed out from the choke hold. I know very little about the Martial Arts, but common sense suggests that there are some big differences between a street fight and a tournament.

On the other hand, "Martial Cane Concepts" by Michael Janich is geared toward actual self-defense. It teaches a simplified system of one basic stance, with a limited number of practical moves. So you're not left trying to figure out which of the dozens of possible counter moves that fancier systems teach to use when someone takes a swing at you. The heart of the system is to get in one good blow aimed at your opponents lower leg/knee/shin bone (to keep him from chasing you) and then retreat as quickly as possible. While I'm sure that won't win you many points in a Martial Arts tournament, it seems more likely to help you both survive the immediate threat, and be able to justify your actions afterwards. Again, sometimes an all out counter attack is necessary. But there are other times when smacking an attacker on the leg with a stick is a lot easier to explain than shooting them.

So, does anybody know where to find good Self Defense training DVD's for a cane? I already have the excellent Janich DVD. I know Gunsite has a Cane video, and some of the videos at Canemasters look appropriate. But most of them are $40, so I'd rather not buy a dozen looking for the 2 or 3 that are actually what I need.

btw – I know that some of this training is best done with a live instructor. But right now, I"m still trying to sort out what to even ask for.

Last edited by glock39; 03-07-2010 at 17:16..
glock39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 19:11   #2
Halojumper

Send a message via AIM to Halojumper Send a message via Yahoo to Halojumper
Michael Janich is good, as you mentioned. Cane masters has some good stuff, but they have a lot of stuff to go through. Ray Eling something or other, at trsdirect.com has a good training set. Hapkido has a lot of cane fighting stuff, but a lot of it is martial arts fluff, so you'd have to wade through that a bit. Also, people overlook regular stick training as cane preparation. Other than techniques that specifically use the hook, the two would be interchangeable.
Halojumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:19   #3
mercop

We do a little cane demo in just about every class. I use an aluminum cane I got at Rite Aid for about $20. Most of what I teach for the can can be seen on the Tomahawk DVD I did for RMJ Tactical. Most of them concentrate on the hooking points I use for the hawk, the back of the neck, behind the elbow, behind the knee, and behind the ankle. We also use it in conjunction with the pistol. The cane is an awesome weapon. The bad thing is that like the Kubaton people try to sell the whole pressure point, joint locking control stuff instead of doing damage, and breaking contact.- George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mercop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:56   #4
David Armstrong

Quote:
So, does anybody know where to find good Self Defense training DVD's for a cane?
I like the basic stuff from Charles Davis at www.cdavisgroup.com for general cane defense. Not flashy/fancy, just a few very basic yet very effective blocks, strikes, parries and hooks.
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:22   #5
mercop

http://mail.myptsmail.com/mercop/blog/?p=613

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mercop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 23:09   #6
Sharkey

I think a group in Ohio called TDI sales aircraft grade aluminum canes and teaches classes on its use. You might check them out.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:28   #7
TypicallyFrench
CLM Number 116
Charter Lifetime Member

In France, it's an old traditional martial art. Lot of people used to have a walking stick.
The training was associated with the french boxing training witch inclued and an legs technics (boxe française or savatte)
if you read a little bit french
http://www.batoncanne.com/
you can also make a google research for "canne d'arme"
S&W 627
Beretta 87T
P22
TypicallyFrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:00   #8
LApm9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercop View Post
We do a little cane demo in just about every class. I use an aluminum cane I got at Rite Aid for about $20. Most of what I teach for the can can be seen on the Tomahawk DVD I did for RMJ Tactical. Most of them concentrate on the hooking points I use for the hawk, the back of the neck, behind the elbow, behind the knee, and behind the ankle. We also use it in conjunction with the pistol. The cane is an awesome weapon. The bad thing is that like the Kubaton people try to sell the whole pressure point, joint locking control stuff instead of doing damage, and breaking contact.- George
If you can find a rattan cane, it is also light and durable and nearly indestructible. They used to be cheaper than aluminum.

Those persons who are less skilled with the martial arts can employ a cane well by directing a sharp blow to the side of an assailants knee, coming from the side. It distracts nicely, is hard to block, and is not expected. We Americans always expect threats to be directed to our face and head.

IMHO: Your action must be almost reflexive. A simple, well practiced, "muscle memory" strike would be better than a delayed, halting, complex move. If I can make a BG go "Oh shucks!!!" and grab his leg...I am outta there.

When I have practiced the ankle hooking on others, they reported to me that when the cane struck the point of their ankle bone, they experienced substantial pain.

Last edited by LApm9; 03-13-2010 at 11:22..
LApm9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 13:44   #9
Davidkxx
Armed Response

I am in the process of producing a fighting cane DVD right now. It will give you a good head start on any class you attend as well a a great review tool. Send me an email or PM and I will include you on our notification list.

Only the dead know the end of war.

If you are not part of the solution, you ARE the problem.
Davidkxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:12   #10
glock39

Thanks, everybody! These are just what I was looking for
glock39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 00:15   #11
Rub

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock39 View Post
Thanks, everybody! These are just what I was looking for
Also, check out Insights Training. They have a few locations in TX. You can always request this course be tought near you.
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote