Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-13-2010, 15:16   #1
The Next Level

caliber? on 600 yard range

My local gun range is currently building a 600 yard range. I have decided this is what I would like to do. There are three calibers that I am interested in. The .270, 25-06, and 30-06. The rifle I have picked out is the Savage weather warrior series. I think the 25-06 recoil should be slightly lower than the other two but is the 270 and 30-06 recoil about the same? Which should I go with concerning placing a 600 yard shot?

Thanks
Old 03-15-2010, 11:58   #2
Zak Smith
3Gunner

There is a sticky in this forum entitled "Introduction to Practical Long-Range Rifle Shooting - Resources". There are several that discuss cartridge selection and comparison in depth. For now, let me direct you to Page 2 of this one:

GATE Long-Range Shooting
article | Practical Long-Range Rifle Shooting, Part I - Rifle & Equipment GATE Long-Range Shooting

The general criteria for selecting a cartridge for long-range shooting is that you want to minimize wind drift while keeping a reasonably flat trajectory. BC is the most important factor in wind drift. Once you have a cartridge, you should pick a load using the same criteria: pick the highest BC bullet you can shoot while still having a reasonable fast muzzle velocity.

The problem with .277" and .25" bore sizes is that the selection of high BC bullets is very, very poor. In the .30-06 case size, the best factory (non-Ackley Improved) cartridges for long-range shooting are: 6.5-06, .280 Remington (aka 7mm-06), and the .30-06 itself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Zak Smith; 03-15-2010 at 11:58..
Zak Smith is offline   Reply With Quote