SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-14-2010, 21:01   #1
Stepaway
Citified

What is the best Non Lethal Option??

The only two non lethal options I currently have are prayer and my feet. Since I'm in my late 50's running away will get less and less effective. I'm going to assume that if I'm in a jam that prayer hasn't worked so well.

My problem with martial arts training is that the only thing that's in good shape is my mouth. I see a lot of posts on these forums from folks who have watched too much tv. Even a lot of the dvd's and books I have looked at are full of ballet like maneuvers that can't possibly work on the street. I need realistic advice, thanks.

From what I have read, self defense is about (1) distance - how much and how fast you can put between you and the threat (2) movement - if you can't run away, how well and how fast can you maneuver around the threat and (3) discouragement - what do you have that can discourage the threat - size, martial arts training, knife or ultimately the gun.

I need to know which non lethal option is most effective - e.g. pepper spray. flashlight, cane, or some sort of MA training etc. Thanks
Old 03-15-2010, 23:39   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

They can all be effective, Step, depending on the circumstances. Ever notice how many cops carry a TASER, and pepper spray, and a baton? It's because there's a time and a place for each. However, the armed citizen can't usually carry that much gear.

Pepper spray is the most affordable intermediate force option for the private citizen; call your local police department or sheriff's office to see what your jurisdiction's laws are on it, and also ask who locally can give you the training it requires. (The crime prevention unit or the department's defensive tactics instructor should be able to answer that for you.) The training is essential, but doesn't take long and doesn't cost much.

Explore likewise some training in the Kubotan, a short stick/keychain that's handy to have with you all the time. You can learn a lot to do with it in a four-hour course. The same techniques will work with a Mini-Mag flashlight which is legal to carry even in courthouses and aboard commercial aircraft, and is always handy to have on your person in any case.

Canes and walking sticks can be tremendously effective, but training takes somewhat longer and is harder to find.

Finally, don't neglect hand to hand training, if only because sometimes bare hands are all you'll have. If you're not in the best physical shape, look for entry-level training in Aikido or Judo. Judo programs are often very affordably available through the local YMCA. These arts are "low impact" and can be tailored by the sensei to those who have physical disabilities. A bonus is that they both start early on with ukemi-waza, techniques for breaking a fall, which are useful for us geezers even if we never get into a fight.

best of luck,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:30   #3
Stepaway
Citified

Exactly the kind of advice I needed, thx Mas.