Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-15-2010, 23:02   #1
shavedape

First Shotgun Recommendations

I'm looking to get a shotgun primarily for HD and could use some suggestions. I don't expect to use it for hunting (not at this time although in the future some bird/waterfoul hunting is possible). The primary use would be HD. I'd prefer something more compact and easy to maneuver in tight confines like hallways, etc.

What should I look for? Brand? What are those pistol grip shotguns like? Should I not even waste my time with those?

I'd prefer something reasonably priced but I'm not looking for anything cheaply made so I'm open to spending more for something reliable and comfortable. And again, I'm not looking for anything ginormous like Jed Clampett would wield but rather, something smaller and more tactical. Thanks folks!
Old 03-15-2010, 23:59   #2
aippi

Remington model 25077. 18.5" barrel, synthetic stocks, 2 shot LE extension. when you are ready for hunting, get a 26, Vent Rib barrel with Rem chokes so you can change out the choke tubes to the type of hunting you want to do. One gun, many uses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 00:09   #3
SHG21

My first shotgun was a Remington 870 wingmaster my father bought me when I was 13 or so for hunting. In your case I would suggest as, aippi mentioned, searching for a shorter barrel for maneuverability. I would suggest the Wingmaster over the express if you ever intend to do any waterfoul/bird hunting.

The benelli nova is also a great option if you can find a barrel short enough to meet your needs for HD. I really enjoy my 26" barrel for bird hunting.

I would not recommend the pistol grip if you are looking for a one gun fits all option but that's just my opinion.

The sky is the limit however with shotgun prices and the ones I suggested are at the lower spectrum price wise so YMMV.

Last edited by SHG21; 03-16-2010 at 00:13..
SHG21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:40   #4
B Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
Remington model 25077. 18.5" barrel, synthetic stocks, 2 shot LE extension.

bc
B Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:36   #5
Nutt51

I am sure this is the one mentioned by aippi in the above post.
These folks are good to deal with and their price includes
shipping. Good luck.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id=95077
Nutt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:07   #6
aippi

Very good price. I am an ffl dealer and the dealer cost of that weapon from Sports South is $309 (but no charge for shipping). Bud's is a volume buyer and gets distributor prices and can't be beat, same with Discount Gunner.

However, consider the ffl transfer fee, depending on where you live of course, and it may be better to get the weapon locally as most gun shops will carry that model or can get it for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:55   #7
DaveFJ80
Señor Member

Remy 870 or Mossy 500. You can find good tactical ones (18.5" barrell) for just shy of $299. Big 5 always has their Mossberg 500 combo with 18.5" barrell and 26" barrell for hunting. This week they have it for $269 and with the 20% off coupon going around the web, you can get one for around $215 + tax.

EDIT: forgot to mention that if you really wanted to try out a pistol grip on the shotgun, you can find them pretty cheap (around $20 - $60 for a decent one) for the 870 or 500/590 shotguns. If you don't like it, remove it and sell it. Each person has their own opinions about pistol grip shotguns -- there's pistol grip only (no stalk) and then pistol grip w/stalk. The majority of people you talk to will have negative things to say the pistol grip only grip, but it really all depends on how well you can hold and handle the gun in the end.

Last edited by DaveFJ80; 03-16-2010 at 11:02..
DaveFJ80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:00   #8
shavedape

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFJ80 View Post
Remy 870 or Mossy 500. You can find good tactical ones (18.5" barrell) for just shy of $299. Big 5 always has their Mossberg 500 combo with 18.5" barrell and 26" barrell for hunting. This week they have it for $269 and with the 20% off coupon going around the web, you can get one for around $215 + tax.
Big 5 ???
Old 03-16-2010, 13:11   #9
DaveFJ80
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavedape View Post
Big 5 ???
Big 5 Sporting Goods
Don't know if they're in your area, but they're all over the West Coast.
(edit - my mistake, it's not a 26" barrell, but a 28" vented barrell)

20% & 10% off coupon

Another 20% off coupon
DaveFJ80 is offline   Reply With Quote