Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:57   #1
Paddy
Glocktastic!

I've been assimilated into the AK collective...

Got my first AK recently via a trade. ITM Arms Co. MK99 receiver, and it looks to be a Romanian stamp on the barrel trunnion, it's an empty triangle. Came with Tapco furniture: Galil style front grip, SAW style pistol grip and T6 collapsible stock, as well as the G2 trigger group. I'll be taking it out on Saturday, so I'll have a range report then.

In the meantime I've been researching scope mount options. I could get the side rail mount and rivet it into the receiver, I could get a receiver cover with a picatinny rail, or I could replace the front grip with a quad rail front grip. I've heard of a scope mount that replaces the rear sight leaf, but I can't seem to find one anywhere. The side rail mount seems like the most stable option but I don't have the rivet tool or the funds to take it to a gunsmith. The receiver cover mounts don't keep their zero worth a damn since the cover moves around, and I've heard the same about the front grip mounts. What do you guys think?
Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:28   #2
CarlosC
AK Fanatic

You know I have to do this....

The Kalashnikov Klub

The Kalashnikov Klub
Old 03-16-2010, 10:45   #3
Paddy
Glocktastic!

w00t! I was hoping to get that welcome!
Old 03-16-2010, 15:09   #4
9mm +p+

Welcome to the dark side and congrats! Personally I wouldn't mess with trying to have an accessory rail riveted on the receiver and SKIP the receiver cover mount altogether. That leaves a quad rail or an UltiMak gas tube rail, personally I like the UltiMak. Quad rails are kind of pricey and add alot more rail than is necessary IMO, there's a new quad rail out by Midwest ind. but I don't like being the test guinea pig myself so I'd wait a bit on them until the reviews come out. I've got the UltiMak on one of my Arsenals and I can attest that is a solid piece of gear and wll worth the $.
Old 03-16-2010, 15:56   #5
1 old 0311

Why do you want a scope? ALL AK's will shoot man size targets 150-200 with open sites and with a scope it ain't going to get much better.

I have owned 8-10 in the past and EVERY ONE has been flawlessly reliable with the exception of a $1000 Arsenal. Go figure. I have a WASR now and while it is ugly as hell in 2000+ rounds it has been perfect!
1 old 0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 19:57   #6
Paddy
Glocktastic!

I don't want a high end scope or anything, maybe a red dot sight or a 2x magnification so I can actually see the dot in the middle of the target at 200 yards.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:43   #7
my762buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
Why do you want a scope? ALL AK's will shoot man size targets 150-200 with open sites and with a scope it ain't going to get much better.
Sorry, thats simply not true of all varients. Not all of them were built with heavily worn barrels and loose parts. Ammo quality makes a huge difference. Using better sites and/or a scope can make a big difference also.
It also helps to have a front post sight that doesn't cover most of a 12x12
target sheet.
my762buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 00:48   #8
Paddy
Glocktastic!

Any input on the rear sight leaf replacement I've heard so little about?
Old 03-19-2010, 15:58   #9
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by my762buzz View Post
Sorry, thats simply not true of all varients. Not all of them were built with heavily worn barrels and loose parts. Ammo quality makes a huge difference. Using better sites and/or a scope can make a big difference also.
It also helps to have a front post sight that doesn't cover most of a 12x12
target sheet.
That's true. With proper ammo and maybe better sights, I don't think it would be that far off from an AR. But people shoot Wolf out of their worn out WASRs, get 3-4 inch groups at 100 yards, and then carp about how inaccurate the platform is. My Yugo, with it's brand new, US-made barrel will get 0.25-0.5 inch grouping at 25 yards with Wolf ammo. And I am not an expert marksman by far, so I'm pretty sure it can do better.
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 16:21   #10
batoncolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Any input on the rear sight leaf replacement I've heard so little about?
There are several that replace the rear sight leaf.

1. Larue has a FF or Docter/mount combo that is currently being retooled. It's a good lightweight combo.

Then there are several Beryl style mounts.

2. The Krebs is top of the line, but it's not cheap. http://www.krebscustom.com/PartsPage...shtml#REARRAIL I have one on my Krebs KTR-08, and it's rock solid. I highly recommend it, and I think it's the best out there right now.
3. TWS Dogleg rail - I have one of the original beta rails, and it's a very good and cheaper alternative to the Krebs. http://texasweaponsystems.com/ He's also making a 2nd generation that looks very interesting, and you can see it in this thread on ARFcom: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...111659&page=26 (scroll down towards the bottom on this page)
4. I have also heard good things about DPH Arms, but I have never tried it. Note: this one does not require removal of the rear sight leaf. http://dpharms.com/akberylstylescope...ch-p-1000.html

And there are also several others out there, but I can't recall them offhand...maybe Midwest Industries. Do a search on beryl style mounts, and you should find them. I'm thinking the others are cheaper alternatives. I did buy a cheaper polymer beryl style rail just to see if I would like the setup so I know they are out there.

I would also recommend that you look into the Ultimak/Aimpoint H1/T1 combo. I have that setup on one of my AKs, and it is really nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
batoncolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:17   #11
Paddy
Glocktastic!

Thank you VERY much for the input! I might get one of those.

Took the AK out and I LOVE IT! I've also discovered the joys of bump firing

All in all, considering I only put 400 into the gun I traded for this thing, it's a pretty sweet find! Didn't jam at all, and I was using cheap dirty Wolf ammo.