Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:55   #1
Mechanicnbm

Value of a first gen G17?

What is the value of a first gen G17 with serial number EC117US? It has the NPv and eagle proofmarks on the barell. I have the original tupperware box and I beleive the old preban 17 round mags (2 good ones and one that is cracked). I use this for my range gun but keep it cleaned and shoot good amunition out of it. It is between 85 to 90% condition. Does anyone have an idea of a fair asking price?
Mechanicnbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 22:53   #2
Craigaz

Also interested in the answer to this question...

Craigaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 14:46   #3
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

IMO, it is impossible to say.

First, we would have to look at it to judge it's real condition. An 85-90% gun looks pretty bad. I'm betting you're judging it too hard.

Second, a HUGE factor in value is how badly someone wants it, and how close your pistol matches up with that person's expectations. (A motivated buyer will always drive the price up.)

As a collector, I'd tell you the only interest I'd have is for one that is NIB, or nearly NIB, and of course everything matching and present (label on box having the serial number of the gun, naturally). In addition, I'd want the version that has the 17 cartridge space-holder in the case.

Even if yours is really a 93-96% pistol, not sure it would demand what people consider "collector" prices.

I've paid pretty large coin for a rare collectible Glock in NIB condition, but I've also found them fairly cheap, when they've first hit the market.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.
MakeMineA10mm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:32   #4
Coogan
Original "G"

^ agreed.

If 100% original and NIB with paperwork and numbered box.....hell, I'd personally pay up to $1000 - if it was one of the fist 1,000 imported. $650 otherwise.

It all depends on the condition of the gun, accessories, paperwork, etc.
Founder - Glock Collectors Club PA Glocker #39
Looking for G22 PE389US
Multiple Armorer Certifications
Coogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 22:50   #5
GoingQuiet
FFL/SOT

I've seen decent condition first generation 17's ask in the $600-650 range. I've never seen one sell but that's the asking price.

321-917-0760
Stocking Silencerco, Gemtech, Advanced Armament, Sig Sauer and Rock River Arms
1101 W. Hibiscus Blvd #103A
Melbourne, FL 32901

GoingQuiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 16:52   #6
RogerStuart

I have a chance to buy a gen 1 g17 for $500 not far from where I live. It looks to be in very good condition. Good deal???
RogerStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 17:36   #7
GoingQuiet
FFL/SOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerStuart View Post
I have a chance to buy a gen 1 g17 for $500 not far from where I live. It looks to be in very good condition. Good deal???
Sounds fair. Make sure it is a Gen 1 though.

321-917-0760
Stocking Silencerco, Gemtech, Advanced Armament, Sig Sauer and Rock River Arms
1101 W. Hibiscus Blvd #103A
Melbourne, FL 32901

GoingQuiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 22:02   #8
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanicnbm View Post
What is the value of a first gen G17 with serial number EC117US? It has the NPv and eagle proofmarks on the barell. I have the original tupperware box and I beleive the old preban 17 round mags (2 good ones and one that is cracked). I use this for my range gun but keep it cleaned and shoot good amunition out of it. It is between 85 to 90% condition. Does anyone have an idea of a fair asking price?
Can I get the date code from the barrel for my serial number project? It's the three small letters to the far right of the serial number on the side of the barrel.

Thanks!

U.S. Army-MNNG 73-83 95 Bravo
NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:06   #9
trakker45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Can I get the date code from the barrel for my serial number project? It's the three small letters to the far right of the serial number on the side of the barrel.

Thanks!
Butch, my First Generation G17 has serial number EB232 with barrel date code ATT.
trakker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 21:44   #10
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by trakker45 View Post
Butch, my First Generation G17 has serial number EB232 with barrel date code ATT.
Thank You sir!

Mechanicnbm! I still need yours!

NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Old 09-15-2010, 18:58   #11
bills10733

I have a Gen 1 17L with an original factory ported barrel. I've considered selling... no idea what it's worth. It's in excellent shape. Any thoughts?

Last edited by bills10733; 09-16-2010 at 08:08..
bills10733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 23:37   #12
Glock23shooter
FN Herstal

Send a message via AIM to Glock23shooter
Quote:
Originally Posted by bills10733 View Post
I have a Gen 1 17L with an original factory ported barrel. I've considered selling... no idea what it's worth. It's in excellent shape. Any thoughts?
i could imagine alot, G17L's are hard enough to find as is. For what you said your's in prob $700+ esp if it's a GEN I

Last edited by Glock23shooter; 09-16-2010 at 23:37..
Glock23shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 19:01   #13
bills10733

Thanks. I appreciate it. I've thought about selling, but I'm not quite ready... I really like it and may just hang onto it. It's a great gun and functions flawlessly.
bills10733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 14:59   #14
retredleg

I recently purchased my first Glock from a friend; G17 Gen 1, (never even fired!!!) for only $200! Original box with all of the ingredients. I put a Hogue slip-on grip on it and loaded it with some Critical Defense Ammo. I also purchased a Fobus paddle holster for it. I have yet to shoot it, but I love the feel of this gun. My friend said he bought it in 1986 and it's just sat in his safe until he sold it to me. I broke it down and cleaned & lubed it. Can't wait to shoot it.

One thing I am puzzled about is that the magazines are marked for "18" rounds NOT "17". I was told that the G17 mags were supposed to only have 17 positions.

Any idea what this gun is really worth?
retredleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 15:41   #15
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Must be a good friend! The gun is easily worth twice what you paid.

Can you post the serial number prefix (the letters) and the date code from the barrel (the three small letters to the far right of the serial number). Thanks!

The mags are 17 round and marked so, you're looking at the 16, not an 18, it's just hard to see. Suggest you count the numbers from the top.

You'll want to replace the recoil spring assembly with a captured factory unit, and the gun no doubt has not had the trigger parts upgrade.....

NRA Life Member
Old 01-18-2011, 15:54   #16
retredleg

Thanks Butch, I appreciate the response. I will re-check the numbers on the mags when I get home tonight (my eyes are not what they used to be) and the serial number too (and post it on here).

Actually the "friend" is my boss, but we have a unique relationship when it comes to guns! He new I liked Glocks, never owned one and he really had no idea what it was worth (neither did I). I didn't even know about generations on the models until I got this one and started doing research on them. I doubt any of the upgrades have been done and I will not shoot it until I get them done. I saw the phone number to Glock in GA. from another thread so I will call them about this one.

Thanks again. BTW, you were a 95B? I was a 13B (ret. in '98). Hooah!
Old 01-18-2011, 21:47   #17
retredleg

CD278 - G-17 - February 1987 - 1st Generation - Austrian markings & "LTY" on bbl - Came with: "1986 US Award: Best in the Market" tupperware type box, adjustable and fixed sights, rod & brush, 2 17rd. mags, and the 17 rd ammo stand.

The gun does not "appear" to have had any of the upgrades. I will call Glock in Smyrna, GA to verify this and check into how to send it to them if need be. I'm glad I haven't fired it yet. I have carried it some and unfortunately I bumped the end of the gun pretty hard (left side / muzzle end) against the steering wheel of my car as I was getting in one day. The muzzle sticks out of the bottom of the Fobus paddle holster and it ended up rubbing some of the black off - not bad, but it broke my heart since it does not look as "perfect" now as it was before. Oh well, I don't intend to ever sell it so I shouldn't let it bother me.

I am looking into installing a laser on it, but have not decided which one. Right now I'm leaning towards the laser rod type. I have a Crimson Trace laser grip on my 1911 and I love it, but not so sure about the CT on a Glock. Any thoughts?
Old 01-21-2011, 12:42   #18
billy396

I bought a bone-stock 1st Gen G17 for $400 two months ago. I'm sure it's probably worth a little more than that, but it does have a little holster wear. I think I'm going to have the Care-Kote put on the slide in flat black. If you find a collector looking for a 1st Gen G17, you might be able to get good money out of it.
Old 01-21-2011, 17:35   #19
graycrait

I purchased a decent condition Gen 1 17 at my FFL for 275.00 a couple of weeks ago and right after I buy that one another Gen 1 comes in with "MPDC" in the slide and the same FFL sells it for 310.00.
graycrait is offline   Reply With Quote