Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-16-2010, 14:19   #1
skippz

are strider knives really worth the xtra $$$

I own some good quality knives (or atleast I think so) such as benchmade, wilson tactical, spyderco, zero tolerance, etc but I keep hearing whispers that say strider, strider.... lol
is there any owners on here who can vouche for the high dollar price tag?
skippz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 16:14   #2
drider

I honestly say no, when i first got into knives I'm glad I did not indulge and go on a buying spree. Go on bladeforums.com it's a real good site that has great forum sections to learn about knives. My suggestion is to shop around read people's post knives are sometimes overrated and over priced! I wanted a strider MFS for some $200, glad i did not invest in it, check out the becker knives made by ka- bar specifically the BK-2 go to amazon and type in BK-2 or youtube. The knife is about $53 and you get a 1/4 thick piece of knife for use as a prybar or knife! Shop around.
drider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 16:32   #3
itstime

I have several and love them. Are They worth it? Probably not. Are they great knives? Yes and no. They are definately a great strong knife but the finish and quality is subpar to say like Chris Reeves.

I don't know which model you are looking at but take a hard look at Zero Tolerance. Built like a tank and Kai really backs their stuff up. Even better than Strider.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 22:53   #4
skippz

I have a ZT 0300 and I like it but I was kind of wanting a "tough as nails" folder or a really concealable fixed blade
Old 03-17-2010, 11:47   #5
daddysnapmuffins

Striders are tough as nails. The complaints are with their fit and finish usually. They're supposed to have vault like lock up. People are usually split on Strider. Some love them and some think they're good but far too overpriced. For the money I'd get a Sebenza. In the end it's really up to you to decide if it's worth it.
daddysnapmuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:45   #6
skippz

The sebenza is expensive too... I do like the looks & practicalitiy of it but those handles (titanium right?) seem like they would slip... am I right about this?
Old 03-19-2010, 08:05   #7
Uglyguns

Skippz:

No, not at their current price. I would buy Bill Harsey or Chris Reeves.

V/r
Uglyguns
Uglyguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:59   #8
p7k3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippz View Post
I have a ZT 0300 and I like it but I was kind of wanting a "tough as nails" folder or a really concealable fixed blade
I think you have a tough as nails folder with the ZT! I have one & it's a tank.
Old 03-19-2010, 18:34   #9
walkin' trails

I've only seen one Strider folder, but it was seriously heavy duty...the blade and liner lock seemed twice as thick as my Emerson Commander. It is a well built knife. Is it worth the money? It will probably not wear out if you carry it every day.
Firearms Instructor
walkin' trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:19   #10
stgha

Like many others I would say yes/no on if they are worth it.
Kind of like a car, you are paying for name/reputation/materials and resale value.
If you want a Strider to "have a Strider" (I have one) then go for it.
Other than that, figure out exactly what you expect from the blade in regards to how you intend to use it (and some cases abuse it), and how much you are willing to pay.
Don't forget to think about: Fit and finish (if it is important to you), how the blade feels in your hand, and the overall design of the blade (what the blade shape is designed to do)
Then do some resarch, and I'm sure you will find one that will fit your needs.

Steve
stgha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 13:56   #11
sciolist

The only real answer to this question is that "worth" is in the eye of the beholder.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
My taste runs more along the CRK line in folders and Busse for fixed blades, although I do own 4 Striders. All of these knives are priced well beyond the point of incremental practical value. You are not going to find an EDC folder "3 times as good" as a ZT. One does not exist. There has to be something about the more expensive knife that speaks to you. If there is, and if you can afford it, then give it a try. All of these knives resell well. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
It’s probably also worth mentioning that, relatively speaking, these are not “expensive” knives. These are utility knives that have developed their way into niche markets with niche fan bases. Some people have $10K worth of knives in their EDC rotations. Some people carry $10K knives – two different things.<o:p></o:p>
Since it sounds like you are specifically talking about Strider folders, I will say that I have handled many of them over the last decade or so, and their Q/C is hit-and-miss. I would not buy a Strider folder without first inspecting it carefully, or if that were not practical, I would only buy from a known seller who would let me return the knife if I was not satisfied upon initial inspection.<o:p></o:p>
For a "nice" utility EDC, I prefer the Sebenza, and for a brute, I would stick with ZT. Of course that's just my own personal choice, and highly subjective.<o:p></o:p>
sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 13:30   #12
Tito

Go to warriortalk.com and see what they think of Strider over there.
Old 04-03-2010, 18:39   #13
Tito's Glock

Here:

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=65681
Old 04-05-2010, 21:51   #14
Reyn
Times Up

They make a stout folder no doubt but not enough for ME to get one over a ZT. Strider, Chris Reeves, Extreme Ratio and Crusader Forge all make some tough folders but it just depends on what one likes. Crusader Forge are friggin tanks.

As far as fixed blades i would take a Busse,Swamprat,or scrapyard over anything out there regardless of price.
Reyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 23:22   #15
daddysnapmuffins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyn View Post
They make a stout folder no doubt but not enough for ME to get one over a ZT. Strider, Chris Reeves, Extreme Ratio and Crusader Forge all make some tough folders but it just depends on what one likes. Crusader Forge are friggin tanks.

As far as fixed blades i would take a Busse,Swamprat,or scrapyard over anything out there regardless of price.
I just ordered a Scrapyard Regulator.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:51   #16
Reyn
Times Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddysnapmuffins View Post
I just ordered a Scrapyard Regulator.

I ordered 2, along with a Ratmandu and Howling rat from Swamp rat. Now i have to find some money to pay for it.

Im more anxious about getting the Regulator though. You cannot beat their knives and at that price it's a no brainer.

Last edited by Reyn; 04-06-2010 at 10:53..
Reyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:04   #17
daddysnapmuffins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyn View Post
I ordered 2, along with a Ratmandu and Howling rat from Swamp rat. Now i have to find some money to pay for it.

Im more anxious about getting the Regulator though. You cannot beat their knives and at that price it's a no brainer.
What do you think the primary purpose of the Reg is? Chopper, tactical, etc?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:15   #18
Gear
Silver Membership
Silver C/O

No they aren't I feel they are no better than any of the other amazing companies out there such as Emerson or Spyderco.
Old 04-06-2010, 22:23   #19
SDforce
Desk Jockey

Send a message via AIM to SDforce
It all depends on how bad you want one. I have a Strider SnG and my Emerson Commander is every bit as good of a knife... except I HAD TO HAVE a Strider too. Don't get me wrong, they are nice, but I would never pay full price for one. Check out Ebay for deals.

Strider's customer service, in my experience at least, leaves much to be desired. I have sent them emails, called them several times and have even visited the shop in person. They have YET to call me back or return any kind of contact. The dealer I go through has given up placing orders to restock because they won't return his emails/phone calls either. It's been over 3 months now... still no contact.

I told the guy at the shop that I was sick of being blown off and was going to go with a different company.

PS - S30V is powdered steel. So in essence, you're buying a MIM knife. Just hope it's properly heat treated (none of the new ones are done by Paul Bos).
SDforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 00:44   #20
xm21

One other question you need to ask yourself is if you want to put money into the pockets of two fellows who have claimed false military credentials.The owners of the company have both been proven to have lied about their military records.
xm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:10   #21
Socom Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDforce View Post

I told the guy at the shop that I was sick of being blown off and was going to go with a different company.

PS - S30V is powdered steel. So in essence, you're buying a MIM knife. Just hope it's properly heat treated (none of the new ones are done by Paul Bos).
I love my Striders. They are expensive, but are great folders. I see more people selling Sebenza's then Striders on the knife forums. I am not saying one is better then the other, just different. If you have any questions of their repair check out the usual suspect network. Just send your knife in and they will fix it. You don't have to call them. Just send it in.

PS - s30v is not MIM. the only knife I can think of that uses MIM is the Kershaw Offset and thats 440c

Last edited by Socom Elite; 04-10-2010 at 03:11..
Socom Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 22:03   #22
SDforce
Desk Jockey

Send a message via AIM to SDforce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom Elite View Post
PS - s30v is not MIM. the only knife I can think of that uses MIM is the Kershaw Offset and thats 440c
S30V is powdered steel. While it is not MIM per se, the process to create S30V is similar.
SDforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 22:08   #23
JK-linux

Are they worth it? Very subjective. Is a custom Les Baer 1911 worth it? Same thing, subjective. I have several Striders and Sebenzas and love them all. I've gotten plenty of use from them and personally think they were worth it. Then again, all of mine are 5 or more years old and have exhibited no QC issues. That said, the best knife I've ever owned is a $100 Benchmade CQC-7 I bought in the mid 1990's. I still carry it very often and it still cut's paper, or barbed wire (requires resharpening afterward).
JK-linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 15:32   #24
Lone Hunter

Its all subjective. Does that taste good? , is she good looking ? Are the Yankees the best team ?

They sell all they make and many are on back order, so I guess to many they sure are . I own 3. Once you reach this price level the law of diminishing returns kicks into high gear.

I have had tons of $100 + Spydies, Benchmades,Microtects and so forth, would have been much cheaper to have got the Striders earlier......

But not as fun ! Get a used one,beat the snot out of it for a year,don't like it you'll get close to what you paid for it.Or a new one you'll still get 3/4 or more.

I've sold a ton of other production knives for half or less.

ZT's are good knives i have one great bang for the buck. Its not a full blown Strider though .
Lone Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:14   #25
daddysnapmuffins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Hunter View Post
Its all subjective. Does that taste good? , is she good looking ? Are the Yankees the best team ?
Nonsense, the Yankees are obviously the best.