SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:49   #1
Stepaway
Citified

Need Folder Advice

Mr. Emerson in your opinion is it better to choose a folder with a hole in the blade to open it or a pin or stub (I apologize if I'm not using the correct terminology). It would seem to me that if your hands are dirty or sweaty that the stub might be more foolproof.

Also, is it possible for you to give a brief summary of the steel descriptions and which is better? I see so many ways that knife steel is described I get very confused. Is there some rating below which we should not go in purchasing a knife?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-22-2010, 15:12   #2
Ernest Emerson

Re: Need Folder Advice

Dear Stepaway,

I have used them all and they all work well. It depends on how many thousand times you have opened them as to your familiarity. Personally I prefer a thumb disc on top of the blade, but then thats the majority of what I make, so naturally that is what I carry 90% of the time. Stubs or buttons are always better with gloves.

As to steel. I am very opinionated on this one. The best steel is one that has been around for centuries. W1 tool steel. It is what files are made out of. No one uses it though because it is not exotic and not space age. Ask any bladesmith or blacksmith and they will tell you. However, it is not stainless and almost all knife makers and knife companies now use hybrid stainless steels. They are all good, no knife company uses inferior steels. Do not buy into the steel hype. Every year there is a new "Super Steel" and some companies use it as a selling gimmick. How can there be a new "Super Steel" every year? Better to base your choice on the reputation of the knife company and the soundness and ergonomics of the individual knife design. That will force you into making the right decision.

Beware of knock offs. If the price is to good to be true, it is a knock off and that is the wrong choice. Hope this addresses your concerns.

Best Regards,

Ernest R. Emerson
Ernest Emerson is offline   Reply With Quote