SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:28   #1
ussoldier202
Infantry

WASR Range Time

I finally got to shoot the WASR from the WASR Makeover thread. I dont know if I got lucky and got one of the few good AK's from Century or WASR's arent as bad alot of people say they are. RELIABILTY- I couldnt be happier with it, 500 rounds and not one problem even when I bump fired 4 30rnd mags. ACCURURACY- After getting the Eotech zeroed in I was shooting 2inch groups at 100 meters ( while using a bipod ). My wife was hitting 20oz soda bottles at 100meters, pretty good when we could barely see it. My shot groups got a little worse at the end of the day but I contribute that to my arm and shoulder being raw and black and blue from shooting 50rnds of 3 1/2inch mag through my Benelli Super Nova Tactical. My only complaint is it does have some trigger slap but should be a easy fix. I think the AK is my new favorite and would choose it over my M4. Cant wait to go shoot it again but leaving the benelli home next time.
ussoldier202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:36   #2
pennlineman

They are not bad rifles, they run. Just not pretty. A little more attention to detail when they put them together would have been nice.
pennlineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:35   #3
Achped

Just a heads up, I have a WASR with the G2 trigger group from the factory, and I had trigger slap my first 500 rds and then it magically went way. I would at least give it some time to see if it works itself out before replacing it with something, that is unless you want to. The red star arms triggers are a pretty sweet gig.
Achped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 13:01   #4
peaceful_guy

Both my WASR and Draco pistol have run flawlessly through thousands of rounds, and accuracy (iron sights only) is as good as any other comparable firearms I've used. My Yugo underfolder, which cost a lot more, has constant FTFs. So count me as a huge fan of the Romanian AKs.
peaceful_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 13:09   #5
Achped

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful_guy View Post
Both my WASR and Draco pistol have run flawlessly through thousands of rounds, and accuracy (iron sights only) is as good as any other comparable firearms I've used. My Yugo underfolder, which cost a lot more, has constant FTFs. So count me as a huge fan of the Romanian AKs.
This too..
Achped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 16:10   #6
thinktwice

I think the WASR has been getting a bad rap due to the a few bad ones way back. Most of the recent WASR's that I have shot and seen are just as reliable as any of the higher $$ ones. I have 2 of them one has seen hundreds of rounds and the other over a thousand rounds without a single problem. As accurate as any AK. They are not "pretty" weapons they are AK-47 battle rifles. It's just like any other firearm. You get a few people that have a problem with a Glock and all of a sudden everyone is telling you not to buy a Glock they are junk. Which we all know is not true. Just my opinion guys. By the way every gun show I have went to lately you see fewer and fewer WASR's So you better get them while you can!
thinktwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 19:16   #7
xICEMANx

I just got a WASR from Classic Arms. Took it to the range yesterday and it was alot of fun. Only gripe was the polymer stock it came with slapped my cheek alot, made it pretty uncomfortbale to shoot. I have already ordered a replacement stock for it. Mine is super tight and no wobble, no canted sight, etc. very happy.
xICEMANx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:14   #8
ussoldier202
Infantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktwice View Post
I think the WASR has been getting a bad rap due to the a few bad ones way back. Most of the recent WASR's that I have shot and seen are just as reliable as any of the higher $$ ones. I have 2 of them one has seen hundreds of rounds and the other over a thousand rounds without a single problem. As accurate as any AK. They are not "pretty" weapons they are AK-47 battle rifles. It's just like any other firearm. You get a few people that have a problem with a Glock and all of a sudden everyone is telling you not to buy a Glock they are junk. Which we all know is not true. Just my opinion guys. By the way every gun show I have went to lately you see fewer and fewer WASR's So you better get them while you can!
And they are charging more. I went to 4 local gun shops looking for some .44 special, while there I checked out their inventory. The WASR's ranged from $530-$600.
ussoldier202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:38   #9
xICEMANx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussoldier202 View Post
And they are charging more. I went to 4 local gun shops looking for some .44 special, while there I checked out their inventory. The WASR's ranged from $530-$600.
Exactly why I ordered from Classic. With FFL fee, shipping, etc I was under $400 OTD. Best deal I could find locally was $500.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:42   #10
internal

I picked up a WASR10 model 2 from a buddy for $250 a few weeks ago and I'm amazed at how underrated the WASR's are.

Sure it's got some mag wobble and there's some light surface blemishes that come basically from the factory but for all intents and purposes it is 100% functioning AK.

Trigger slap is a non-issue due to the fact that I like to remove the shepherds hook and install the metal plate to hold the FCG pins in so installing a G2 while I'm there isn't a problem.

If you know how to re-finish wood you can buy a wooden pistol grip and make it look really good.
internal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 15:02   #11
Jmzzl
AK User

I LOVE my WASR. I couldn't be any happier with it really. I stripped the finish off of the bolt carrier, added a wooden grip, and refinished the furniture several times to my liking. I also took some steel wool and did a light sanding on all the metal. Now it looks like a "Battlefield Pick Up" AK. It's got a few dings on the wood and metal, and it really looks old. She looks awesome.
Jmzzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 17:12   #12
KaliJuan

Great seeing supporters for the WASR here, my brothers / my friends !!!

I TOTALLY Love my WASR, I modded what I wanted to get the results I wanted to see and it's been flawless
KaliJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 18:38   #13
bryan cc tx

WASRs are like my women...ugly and wobbly but every time I touch them they BANG!
bryan cc tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:55   #14
xICEMANx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan cc tx View Post
WASRs are like my women...ugly and wobbly but every time I touch them they BANG!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:45   #15
Adionik

I wanted to get a WASR, but the overall quality reviews scared me off. Couldn't be happier with my Yugo. Granted...it was almost $100 more :(
Adionik is offline   Reply With Quote