SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:23   #1
lawman_77008
JBT

Martial Art Recommendation

What martial art or RBSD would you recommend for self defense training? Would you recommend a different MA style to an officer versus the general public?

What martial arts do you (or have) train in?
lawman_77008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 18:45   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

re:Martial Arts Recommendation

Lawman, my personal feeling is that just as many guns are applicable to different situations, different martial arts will be more applicable to different situations. Bigger, stronger folks might find themselves most comfortable with the striking arts, such as boxing or karate, while smaller but perhaps more flexible people may find the grappling arts (jiu-jitsu, aikido, judo) more suited to their physical attributes. And, because at any moment in a conflict there may be more of an opening for a punch than for a grab or vice versa, mixed martial arts (MMA) that encompass both elements make sense, which may be why MMA is so popular today.

Lawman, your user name indicates that you may be on The Job. If so, you know that the reality of aftermath is something most folks don't consider until they've been in injury-producing fights. Police "defensive tactics (DT) training" gravitated toward aikido and jiu-jitsu based armlocks, wristlocks, takedowns, etc., in part because while a good, solid punch in the mouth can result in $30,000 or so in maxillo-facial reconstruction medical bills before we even get into pain and suffering, a successful wristlock to armbar takedown sequence is likely to result in no injury at all. Ditto the Lateral Vascular Neck Restraint (LVNR) system, pioneered for Kansas City Regional Police Academy by judo master Jim Lindell, whom I believe holds the trademark. LVNR comes from the shime-waza techniques of sport judo, and to my knowledge there have been no deaths from LVNR when applied in Lindell-taught fashion.

For the reasons cited above, most of my own training draws from the taiho-jitsu based police training of the late Grandmaster Jim Morell, similar training from Soke Tak Kubota, aikido from instructors including Tom Burdine, and jiu-jitsu in the "small circle" style of the late Professor Wally Jay.

Just another guy's $0.02, bro, but that's what you requested. YMMV.

Cordially,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote