Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-20-2010, 17:35   #1
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

A second BUG?

Mas,

I have read a lot of your writings and an interview or two on the subject of carrying a secondary firearm during normal CCW as an armed civilian. I FULLY agree with everything you had stated.

I personally carry a full sized steel service pistol OWB at about the 3:30 position with two spare mags on my support side every day. I also usually carry a pocket .380 in my off side front pocket. That one will soon be replaced with a snub .38.

My question is...Do you personally feel it would be considered overkill to carry a third gun? I realize that statistics show that the chances of ever needing even one gun for defense is very minimal. The probability of needing to fire a shot is even lower. However, I believe there are certain situations where another one in an ankle holster for example, would be very comforting.

I am of the saying, "It is better to have it and not need, then to need it and not have." I also would like to think I practice very good situational awareness and avoid questionable people and places.

May I ask for your thoughts and consideration of the idea? I greatly respect and appreciate what you have to say, and would be most grateful for any light you would be able to shed on the subject for me.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:33   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

uip

DeerPredator, there are those who would call you paranoid for carrying three guns...but, heck, a lot of them would call you paranoid for carrying ONE.

Be able to articulate the reason(s) you chose to carry three guns, and to document that there are experts who agree with you. In the pages of Guns and American Handgunner, Clint Smith has mentioned that he carries a backup gun, and sometimes two. John Farnam has explained to students, and to readers of his DTI Quips and his books, that he commonly carries more than two handguns.

Your setup is well thought out. Service pistol readily accessible to dominant hand, on hip. Small backup in weak side pocket gives fallback if dominant arm is hurt, and also allows you to discreetly have hand on gun in an "iffy" situation. Ankle holster is ideal when seatbelted behind a steering wheel, or down on your back.

Definitely pick up a copy of "Armed Response" by Dave Kenik, a concealed carry and self-defense expert who posts frequently on GlockTalk. In it, among other things, he gives a very lucid explanation of why he carries a primary on the hip, a BUG in a pocket, and another BUG on the ankle.

David Kenik also gives the coolest response I've ever heard to those who think carrying more than one firearm goes overboard. When asked why he carries three handguns, he replies, "Four would be ostentatious."

On a more serious note, check local regulations. At least one Federal agency forbids its armed personnel to carry more than one handgun, on or off duty. The state of New Mexico allows the licensed private citizen to carry only one handgun on his or her person in public.

best wishes,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:25   #3
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

Thank you sir for the well thought out response! I do sincerely appreciate your words of wisdom.

I have actually have read and own a copy of "Armed Response." The quote you referenced is also my favorite the entire book also!

Thanks again and I will def. take into consideration what you mentioned while continuing on with my decision making process.

Stay safe and shoot straight.

Last edited by KiloBravo; 03-21-2010 at 09:27..
KiloBravo is online now   Reply With Quote