SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 19:29   #1
CharlieDelta127

Side Saddles

I've been looking to buy a side saddle for my Mossberg 500. I like the idea of the 5 other shells being readily accessible on the gun.

BUT! I'm wondering, is it worth it? I know there pretty in expensive, but still, I don't like putting stuff on my gun for the "tacticool" feel.

Anyways, are they worth it? And if so, show me some of your guys set ups.
Old 09-18-2012, 19:56   #2
longhaulcop

I like mine and it is convenient way to carry extra rounds with you. I have mine separated between slugs or buckshot. The added weight isn't much and helps with recoil.
This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my brother on the left. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow or my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me, facing the enemy.
Old 09-18-2012, 20:43   #3
countrygun

I just use an "Allen" or "Uncle Mikes" slip on butt cuff on the stock. It's just a personal preference. I tried a side saddle and just didn't like it. A lot of people do, I am just not one of them.
Old 09-18-2012, 20:58   #4
CharlieDelta127

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
I tried a side saddle and just didn't like it. A lot of people do, I am just not one of them.

What made you dislike them?
Old 09-19-2012, 17:13   #5
tango44

Expensive? I use el cheapo TacStar on my Rem870 and never failed to me, was $30 at Bass Pro Shops wich is no the cheapest place to buy.
Old 09-19-2012, 20:17   #6
CharlieDelta127

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDelta127 View Post
I
BUT! I'm wondering, is it worth it? I know there pretty inexpensive, but still, I don't like putting stuff on my gun for the "tacticool" feel.
Inexpensive I believe is what I said. Might have misspelled it though.
Old 09-19-2012, 21:15   #7
SouthpawG26

If it eases your mind about functionality, Wilson Combat put side saddles on their 870 shotguns for the Border Patrol.
Old 09-19-2012, 21:23   #8
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Usually, if a grab a shotgun, you get what's on the gun. In this case, a side saddle is a must. Buttstock holders get in the way of shooting from your support side. I would recommend 3 gun gear velcro side saddles if you don't want to spend the money on a mesa tactical.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
Old 09-19-2012, 22:32   #9
sharpshooter

Most people would feel pretty good about using a 6-shot .357 Magnum (no reloads) to check out a bump in the night.

But for some reason 6 shots in a 12g is not enough, you "should" use a side saddle or cuff to carry +6 extra rounds? And heat shields, and all kinds of junk hanging off it.
Old 09-19-2012, 22:57   #10
cliffsta
Who, me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
Most people would feel pretty good about using a 6-shot .357 Magnum (no reloads) to check out a bump in the night.

But for some reason 6 shots in a 12g is not enough, you "should" use a side saddle or cuff to carry +6 extra rounds? And heat shields, and all kinds of junk hanging off it.
But to your point, why do people put all the crazy stuff they do on to their car/truck? That Browning sticker isn't gonna help Bubba kill more deer. But if it makes him happy and doesn't STOP him from killing a deer... then go for it! If the tactical gear I'm putting on my Mossberg 500 (ordered light mount and light; saddle is coming next) doesn't adversely affect the performance of the firearm, then I'm all for making the weapon look cooler.

I think its kinda like tattoos. I think they're stupid as hell, but millions of people have them, and they make everybody unique. I wanna make my Mossberg look like my own custom fighting tool, even though I pray to God I never use it as such.

Just my .02

NRA Member
Old 09-19-2012, 23:00   #11
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDelta127 View Post
What made you dislike them?
I may have to, or want to, grasp the gun at the receiver and the sidesaddles are generally in the way. I don't grab a long gun at the fattest part of the stock (where a cuff sits)

It also doesn't take much for me to visualize a side saddle causing a problem in, a doorway for instance, unless a little extra thought (at zero-dark-thirty) is exercised.
Old 09-20-2012, 00:06   #12
sharpshooter

A sticker or tattoo changes the appearance, but does not add weight and bulk to a gun you have to shoulder and get cheek weld (possibly with your weak side) like a big ol' side saddle with 6 rounds. Plus they can be sharp.

Go ahead. Engrave the word "Tactical" on it too, so nobody mistakes it for just a "regular" shotgun.
Old 09-20-2012, 19:08   #13
collim1
Shower Time!

I have a side saddle on my duty gun, but for HD and especially the hunting camp I find a sleeker receiver is much easier and more comfortable to tote around.
Old 09-20-2012, 20:05   #14
22highcaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post

You and I must hang out with different people. No one I know uses a revolver for anything other than a carry piece when nothing larger than a J-frame will do.

If I have to investigate a bump in the night I have a minimum of 14-15 rounds on tap in my pistol.

Besides, a side saddle is not just for reloads. It is where you keep your slugs for when the situation calls for a slug.
Illinois Glockers #8

Last edited by 22highcaps; 09-22-2012 at 06:52..
Old 09-21-2012, 07:52   #15
fuzzy03cls

I use a TacStar on my 590A1. It's been fine. But you need to locktight the screws that hold the plastic holder to the metal bracket.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:53   #16
cliffsta
Who, me?

Ehhh... hope for the best, prepare for the worst. I'll have slugs in the side saddle just in case.

NRA Member
Old 09-21-2012, 18:23   #17
CharlieDelta127

Ordered one today fellas. Went wit the TacStar I'd rather spend the extra coin on those slugs!
Old 09-21-2012, 18:38   #18
GlockPride
Glock 23

I had one for years on my 1300. I just never picked up the gun because it was so heavy. Almost sold it a couple of weeks ago and then had a thought. I removed the light, the quad rail on the front that held the light and the side saddle with 6 extra rounds. I am back to really liking that gun. If 7 or 8 can't get it done around the house, I'm in too deep.
Eph6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.13Therefore put on the full armor of God
Old 09-21-2012, 18:44   #19
CanMan

I've had a couple on 870s. I like 'em. A friend and I used to argue... he said he didn't like them because he didn't want 5 extra rnds that close to his face. I told him it might help his looks & am surprised I didn't get peppered with my own shotgun after that!
Old 09-21-2012, 18:46   #20
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

I am in the process of changing side saddle types, going to a velcro model. Shoot me a private message and I will see what I can do for ya if you want one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Closed Thread