Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-23-2012, 19:43   #1
mvmojo

Drill/Tap Mossberg 590 for red dot sights

Would like to put a red dot sight on my Mossberg 590 Mariner. It is not drilled and tapped to accept a top rail. Does anybody know what size screws to use, how deep to tap the holes, etc. I'd like to take it to a gunsmith or a machine shop and have it done (or do it myself) but want to make sure its done correctly.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 20:33   #2
WoodenPlank
Who?

How old is your Mossberg? Every one I have seen in recent memory has been drilled and tapped, with 4 small screws on top of the receiver to keep the holes filled/covered.
Old 10-24-2012, 00:31   #3
Boot Stomper

I had my Mossberg 590 drilled and tapped by a gun smith. I do not know the size of the holes. I would recommend finding a good GS locally. You do not want to mess it up. If I remember right, I pay $70.00 for the drill and tap.

I bought my 590 used for $180.00. Its been a good gun, but I don't shoot it as often as I should. Normally a handgun guy at the range.

Last edited by Boot Stomper; 10-24-2012 at 00:32..
Boot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:04   #4
mvmojo

I bought it used in 2000 and it was reportedly 3-4 yrs old then so it's got to be 15 yrs old. It's the 590 Mariner w/20" barrel & 8 shot tube. There are no holes or screws on the top of the receiver, definitely not drilled & tapped. Note: It's not the 590A1 which was drilled & tapped.
Old 10-24-2012, 17:48   #5
vafish

Probably a #6 or #8 screw.

Order the base from Mossberg and it should come with the screws. The holes go all the way through the receiver.

Not difficult to do, but you need to make sure they are straight.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:28   #6
mvmojo

Thanks all, especially the comment that the holes go all the way through. I think I'll order a rail and based on the screw size drill & tap it myself.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:46   #7
Boot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmojo View Post
Thanks all, especially the comment that the holes go all the way through. I think I'll order a rail and based on the screw size drill & tap it myself.
Good Luck. You may want to call Mossberg and ask which hole sizes they recommend for the drill and tap of the receiver.
Boot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:04   #8
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
While it's not rocket science, you are working with aluminum. It would be easy for an unskilled person to screw it up. If you've done this kind of thing before, then you know what you are doing. BUT, if you haven't, you are only one turn of the tap wrench away from ruining the receiver. If you don't have the tap, drill bit(s) and tap wrench, you might spend as much on tools as it would cost to have a local guy do it.

I'm pretty handy and have a full tap/die set. If a non-precision part need a whole tapped, I would do it myself. I would not, personally, tap a series of holes on my guns.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay

Last edited by WiskyT; 10-27-2012 at 08:04..
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:46   #9
mvmojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
While it's not rocket science, you are working with aluminum. It would be easy for an unskilled person to screw it up. If you've done this kind of thing before, then you know what you are doing. BUT, if you haven't, you are only one turn of the tap wrench away from ruining the receiver. If you don't have the tap, drill bit(s) and tap wrench, you might spend as much on tools as it would cost to have a local guy do it.

I'm pretty handy and have a full tap/die set. If a non-precision part need a whole tapped, I would do it myself. I would not, personally, tap a series of holes on my guns.
Thanks for the advice. I've spent the last 12 yrs on a steel boat and have drilled & tapped hundreds of holes. I have a drill press on board and a full tap/die set. But... I'm off the boat for the winter and don't have access to my tools. Will probably see if I can find a gunsmith with the right setup or find a machine shop. I do appreciate the words of caution.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:56   #10
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I've spent the last 12 yrs on a steel boat and have drilled & tapped hundreds of holes. I have a drill press on board and a full tap/die set. But... I'm off the boat for the winter and don't have access to my tools. Will probably see if I can find a gunsmith with the right setup or find a machine shop. I do appreciate the words of caution.
No problem. I just know what that "oh ****" feeling feels like with aluminum. One Ft.Lb. too many and it's all over.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote