SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-23-2010, 18:12   #1
Berto
woo woo

Star BM firing pins

I have a Star BM with the common problem of a broken firing pin (no, I didn't dry fire it).

It was the longer non-inertia type.
The new firing pins are( of course) the shorter inertia types...

Top, is the original broken pin, notice the retaining pin notch.
Lower is the new pin:
Gunsmithing

Problem is, the notch in the newer pin forbids enough rearward play for a sufficient hammer contact- it doesn't stick out enough from the rear of the slide.

Is there a fix for this, or is there no option besides finding the non inertia firing pin?
Is it safe/ possible to modify the new pins?
Old 03-26-2010, 19:03   #2
eisman
CLM Number 127
ARGH!

Personally, when I was doing this type of work for a living, I'd either have fixed the original pin or made a new one. Neither would be difficult. In fact, it would be just as easy to do either of those as to make the "new" pin right. And frankly, I'd make a better part.

So, if you want to make the new pin work, you'll have to take some measurements (always a smart thing to do with firing pins). My guess is that the new one is shorter than the original. The way you fix this is weld onto the end of the pin (use TIG and some stainless rod) and then put it in the lathe and turn it down to the correct size. You need to be careful not to warp the pin, and you'll need to insure the hardness doesn't change (if it does you'll need to re-harden).

Don't forget that you also have to fit the amount of protrusion to insure it's correct. (Too much and you'll end up penetrating primers and that's not fun).

All in all this is just another project that shows that you really shouldn't be messing with guns unless you know what you're doing, and there are very few true "drop in" parts.
eisman is offline   Reply With Quote