Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-23-2010, 18:40   #1
wavetrain75
Useless Member

So Is It Bad If My Computer Boots Directly To The HP Blue Screen?

It's at least 10 years old, but it does everything I need it to (which isn't much). About a year ago it started acting weird at shutdown - you had to unplug it for about 1/2 an hour before you could turn it on again. If you unplugged it and plugged it in (to the wall socket) right away it wouldn't power up.

Then about a week ago a disgruntled 4 year old cut the mouse cable to prevent her brother from using it. She was in a fair amount of trouble but I have to abmit it was pretty funny.

When I found the computer it was off so I don't know the details of the shutdown. It now boots directly to the HP blue screen and just sits there. No startup screen or prompt to start in safe mode.

I'm guessing it's bad but I'm not willing to spend anything on a new computer, I'll do without unless there's a homeowner level fix for this one.
Old 03-23-2010, 19:00   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavetrain75 View Post
It's at least 10 years old, but it does everything I need it to (which isn't much). About a year ago it started acting weird at shutdown - you had to unplug it for about 1/2 an hour before you could turn it on again. If you unplugged it and plugged it in (to the wall socket) right away it wouldn't power up.

Then about a week ago a disgruntled 4 year old cut the mouse cable to prevent her brother from using it. She was in a fair amount of trouble but I have to abmit it was pretty funny.

When I found the computer it was off so I don't know the details of the shutdown. It now boots directly to the HP blue screen and just sits there. No startup screen or prompt to start in safe mode.

I'm guessing it's bad but I'm not willing to spend anything on a new computer, I'll do without unless there's a homeowner level fix for this one.
Are you posting from it now... You said you would "do without", so I took it as that was your only PC...

Can you get into the BIOS? Usually either Delete, F1, or Esc right before that blue HP screen comes up. Do you know what model PC it is? There may be an error message behind that blue screen, but you can't see it because of the image(you should be able to disable the boot image in your bios)

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 20:43   #3
wavetrain75
Useless Member

I have occasional access to another computer, mine is completely frozen in the HP blue screen (blue screen with the HP logo). When I attempt to reboot the blue screen comes up instantly, no other preceding screen, prompts or harddrive movement.

It's an HP 7548 Pentium III. Can't remember but I may have changed harddrives at one point.

Last edited by wavetrain75; 03-24-2010 at 20:44..
wavetrain75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 21:14   #4
greenLED

If you have the original Windows installation CD's (or backups from another computer's installations CD's), power your computer so it boots from the CD drive first (you'll need to enter the setup screen first - each brand has a special key: Esc, or F10, or F12, or... depends on brand/model).

Once the Windows installation process starts, you'll see an option to "repair". Choose that and follow the prompts.

As far as what it may have caused it... anything from faulty hardware (new, maybe?), corrupt drivers, bad hard drive, etc.

greenLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:38   #5
C.Lee

Sorry you are having problems. When the mouse cord was cut, it may have shorted out the ps2 or usb ports. I lost a mobo when the mouse cord was cut by the track of a desk drawer.
C.Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 18:23   #6
Swiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavetrain75 View Post
About a year ago it started acting weird at shutdown - you had to unplug it for about 1/2 an hour before you could turn it on again. If you unplugged it and plugged it in (to the wall socket) right away it wouldn't power up.
Sounds like the motherboard to me. No easy fix. Unfortunately, it would be best to just replace it. I know that you don't want to spend the money but a Netbook for about $300 would be a good substitute.

But I'm certain that you could get a used 5-year old computer for free if you ask around. I have one of those in my garage I would donate to a needy friend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Your God - By Cheryl Wheeler

Last edited by Swiper; 03-25-2010 at 18:27..
Swiper is offline   Reply With Quote