Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-26-2010, 00:52   #1
jeffreybehr
GAPist #1944

So there I was tonite, at Cactus League's practice match...

...at Ben Avery in north Phoenix. I'd finished shooting the first stage, cleared, closed, and pulled the trigger, and then holstered the gun...except it wasn't started in the holster, it was merely along side it. So on the ground it fell and out of the match I went. Of course they were very nice about it, as was I.

I told my wife when I got home early that I imagine some shooters would be annoyed that the rules were enforced, but I'd be more annoyed if the safety rules were not enforced.

Next week!

Last edited by jeffreybehr; 03-27-2010 at 19:07..
jeffreybehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:32   #2
DragonLibra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreybehr View Post
...at Ben Avery in north Phoenix. I'd finished shooting the first stage, cleared, closed, and pulled the trigger, and then holstered the gun...except it wasn't started in the holster, it was merely along side it. So on the ground it fell, and out of the match I went. Of course they were very nice about it, as was I.

I told my wife when I got home early that I imagine some shooters would be annoyed that the rules were enforced, but I'd be more annoyed if the safety rules were not enforced.

Next week!
Ouch! At least it was a practice. And I agree good they enforce the safety rules. I got a DQ 2 years ago when drawing my handgun and it caught on something and down went the loaded handgun in the dirt. Thank goodness no AD and no injury but to my pride. I got to spend rest of day helping out and kicking myself. At least it was on a reshoot so I had gotten to shoot all the stages.

Last edited by DragonLibra; 03-26-2010 at 10:33..
DragonLibra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:53   #3
dsmw5142
NRA Member

Glad you realize where the problem lies and aren't letting it get to you. I have seen people get warned or DQ'd for a safety violation that showed their a** or acted like babies and pouted.

I bet you control your gun all they way to the holster next time. If you're not wearing one, you'll realize it soon enough.

Rudy Project USA IDPA squad
dsmw5142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 16:15   #4
MarkTX

What kind of event was this ?

I'll have to go re-read the IDPA rulebook, but I don't think dropping a "cold" weapon is automatically a DQ. It can be but its not automatic like dropping a loaded weapon.
Mark in TX (.40 club #32)
IDPA Classifications:
CDP/EX (via bump at TX State 2010),
ESP/EX (via bump at Nationals 2010),
SSP/EX (via classifier).
MarkTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 19:08   #5
jeffreybehr
GAPist #1944

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkTX View Post
What kind of event was this ?

I'll have to go re-read the IDPA rulebook, but I don't think dropping a "cold" weapon is automatically a DQ. It can be but its not automatic like dropping a loaded weapon.
USPSA rules.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:23   #6
PhoneCop
TeleDetective

8.3.1 “Make Ready” – This command signifies the start of “the Course of Fire”.

10.3.1 A competitor who commits a safety infraction or any other prohibited activity during an USPSA match will be disqualified from that match, and will be prohibited from attempting any remaining courses of fire in
that match regardless of the schedule or physical layout of the match.

10.5 Match Disqualification – Unsafe Gun Handling
Examples of unsafe gun handling include, but are not limited to:

10.5.3 If at any time during the course of fire, or while loading, reloading or unloading, a competitor drops his handgun or causes it to fall, loaded or not.

8.3.8 “Range Is Clear” – This declaration signifies the end of the Course of
fire.

I got DQ'd when I drew a handgun and the front sight snagged on part of the holster and ripped it right out of my hand, it spun away like a pin-wheel and landed on the ground. Scariest thing. DQ's are assessed for serious safety infractions. We earn them, they aren't done to us. With the right attitude we become better copetitors because of them.

This is an example of the right attitude:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreybehr View Post

Next week!
I'd shoot with Jeff.

Last edited by PhoneCop; 03-29-2010 at 10:26..
PhoneCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:08   #7
jeffreybehr
GAPist #1944

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneCop View Post
I got DQ'd when I drew a handgun and the front sight snagged on part of the holster and ripped it right out of my hand, spun away like a pin-wheel and landed on the ground. Scariest thing. DQs are assessed for serious safety infractions. We earn them, they aren't done to us. With the right attitude we become better competitors because of them.

This is an example of the right attitude:
"I told my wife when I got home early that I imagine some shooters would be annoyed that the rules were enforced, but I'd be more annoyed if the safety rules were not enforced."

I'd shoot with Jeffrey.
TYVM.

Lots of us tend to become more casual the longer we shoot in these things--familiarity breeds contempt--but we always have to remember that we could kill someone by being less than VERY careful with these deadly weapons we love to play with.
Old 04-02-2010, 14:04   #8
YamaLink

On a related note I saw my first hissy fit two weeks ago. From a young cop who brought along his gf for her first match. Argued with the MD over a shot call. Long story short: he was so flustered 2 stages later that he got a FTN! And the stage after he forgot to put loaded mags in his carrier!
YamaLink is offline   Reply With Quote