Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:25   #1
BSA70

Bought an older 870 wingmaster, couple of questions

I picked up a painted wing master for $175 at a gun store. I have fixed it up and looks real nice, especially the walnut. I see it will not accept the 3 inch shells. Only the smaller 2 inch. Does the barrell or chamber dictate what size shell it will shoot?

I wanted to add a sling. I installed the front support in the front cap with no problem. I really hate to mess up the walnut stock adding the back support. Has anyone tried the adapter that fits between the stock and the chamber? They seem to be pricey at $30.

Thanks
BSA70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:40   #2
cyphertext

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSA70 View Post
I see it will not accept the 3 inch shells. Only the smaller 2 inch. Does the barrell or chamber dictate what size shell it will shoot?
Short answer is both. The chamber in the barrel is too short to fire the 3" shells, so you would need to get a different barrel. Also, in the receiver, the ejector would have to be removed and re-staked in a different position in order for the 3" shell to eject reliably.
cyphertext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:16   #3
TxGun

I have several older Wingmasters chambered for the 2 3/4" shotshells. Great guns. A hell of a lot better guns than the newer Express versions, IMO. The good news is the 2 3/4" shell will easily do about 90% of what a 3" shell will do for you, maybe more. 2 3/4" ammo has the same velocity, and often a little more, than a corresponding 3" load. The 3" shell simply carries more shot, along with more recoil.

Last edited by TxGun; 03-26-2010 at 11:19..
TxGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 22:45   #4
cyphertext

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGun View Post
I have several older Wingmasters chambered for the 2 3/4" shotshells. Great guns. A hell of a lot better guns than the newer Express versions, IMO. The good news is the 2 3/4" shell will easily do about 90% of what a 3" shell will do for you, maybe more. 2 3/4" ammo has the same velocity, and often a little more, than a corresponding 3" load. The 3" shell simply carries more shot, along with more recoil.
I agree. I have an old Wingmaster that was a pawn shop special. After a trip to my neighbors machine shop for a little barrel shortening, it is now my HD shotgun. Have no need for the 3" shell for shooting down the hall way. Very simple set up, 18 1/2" barrel, cylinder bore choke, fiber optic bead on top just because I liked the way it looked.
cyphertext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 14:16   #5
aippi

The above post are dead on about the 2 3/4" Wingmasters. You find these weapon will seldom if ever have the feed, function, extraction and ejection issues that 3" weapons have. The 3.5" Super Mags have more issues then any other pumps.

There is every kind of round you could possibly need in 2 3/4" and even 2 3/4" magnum rounds. You would also discover that even if you had a 3" weapon, you would seldom use 3" shellls.

The single point sling plate that you are asking about works fine. It is designed for a one point sling, however, it works as a two point also. Several companies make one for the 870. You would not be messing up the wood stocks of your weapon if you install a Quick detach stud to the rear stock. This weapon is already messed up as you said it was painted so adding a QD means nothing to the value of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:49   #6
Z71bill

I do not want a sling on my HD shot gun - just gets in the way -

Have you asked yourself why you want a sling?

You plan on using the gun for guard duty?
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 20:39   #7
aippi

Of course you don't want the sling on the weapon for HD, however, many of the HD weapons these guys own also serve other uses, such as hunting and recreational shooting, so yes, they want the ablitiy to add a sling for the times they want one. Also, most of the tactical shotgun training courses require one. You can have sling points without having the sling on weapon.

It is better to have the option of a sling then to not have it and come upon a use for the wepaon that makes a sling handy or even required.

And yes, many of the civilain clients who buy my weapons plan on using them for guard duty just as the civilians did who blocked off their neighborhoods and stood armed guard to control who came into them after events like Andrew in Miami and Katrina in LA and MS. So the comment "gaurd duty" was ment to be a dig but really expands on what the HD shotgun may be called upon to do in these times we live in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:44   #8
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
Of course you don't want the sling on the weapon for HD, however, many of the HD weapons these guys own also serve other uses, such as hunting and recreational shooting, so yes, they want the ablitiy to add a sling for the times they want one. Also, most of the tactical shotgun training courses require one. You can have sling points without having the sling on weapon.

It is better to have the option of a sling then to not have it and come upon a use for the wepaon that makes a sling handy or even required.

And yes, many of the civilain clients who buy my weapons plan on using them for guard duty just as the civilians did who blocked off their neighborhoods and stood armed guard to control who came into them after events like Andrew in Miami and Katrina in LA and MS. So the comment "gaurd duty" was ment to be a dig but really expands on what the HD shotgun may be called upon to do in these times we live in.
Better get a light - a heat shield - a laser - a sling - a folding stock - a breacher - an extended mag tube - night sights or ghost rings - extra shell holder

You never know it may come in handy -

Asking what the gun will be used for is the first thing a person should do - RIGHT?

What % of shot gun owners have ever or will ever use the gun while on guard duty? Less than 10% RIGHT?

If the guy just wants one because he thinks they look cool - that is a good enough reason - but I get the feeling a lot of crap gets put on guns because the people think they need it - when in reality they do not.

Last edited by Z71bill; 03-29-2010 at 07:45..
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote