Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-26-2010, 13:50   #1
mixflip

weapons transition is the fastest reload (for an average guy anyway) idea??

For the average Joe shooter (not some wiz bang pro exhibition shooter) it is pretty much accepted that a weapons transition is the fastest way to get back on target right?

Well I had an epiphany last night at around 2am.

Instead of mounting 5 or 6 extra shells on the butt-stock of a conventional shotgun stock, why not mount a serpa holster and some type of very small subcompact handgun there?

I think I am going to give this a try and do some field testing the next time I am out in the desert. Maybe I'll make a youtube video on this to see if it has some usefulness and if it is even practical?

What do you guys think???

Last edited by mixflip; 03-26-2010 at 13:52..
mixflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 13:54   #2
MCPreacher

I think it would make it pretty unwieldy, not to mention a lot of extra bulk.

If you have your shotgun on a sling, then you would still have to hold the shotgun steady to allow you put pull your handgun from its (hopefully) secure holster. It still seems it would be faster to drop the shotgun on the sling and draw normally.

But you should totally do it and film it! Worth a shot, right?
G36 Club 47
Snubbie Club 001

Last edited by MCPreacher; 03-26-2010 at 13:54..
MCPreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 14:54   #3
inzone

bang in the night

I like your thinking mix.... I have been wondering myself about the efficacy of a quick switch off to another loaded weapon...my wife and I have a quick access safe to get our revolvers in the event of an emergency but then I have been wondering how to handle the shotguns, or whatever else .... it is a bit unwieldy to be holding a handgun and also a shotgun at the same time.... some kind of holster arrangement is what I have been contemplating....
inzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 15:36   #4
bikerdog

you know you just might be on to something there. and if your ruing a single point sling and the pistols muzzle is pointing the same way as the muzzle on the gun, when you drop the gun you would be able to draw the pistol fairly fast. and hey if nothing else it would be cool to see
bikerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 18:39   #5
gunsnhoses

I'm interested. Let's see it.
gunsnhoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 18:45   #6
GreyEclipse
TheGreyEclipse

For just about anybody and everybody a weapons transition should be faster.
That's why we have a secondary. But I don't know about mounting it on a shotgun.If the shotgun was taken away then the pistol would be to...
Kalashnikov Klub Member-761
RTN Club Member-171-Moonie
GreyEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 19:30   #7
hilljo
Outstanding

Try it. One of the few actually new/original ideas I've heard in a long time.

I think the actual "unholstering" part would be tough. If for example it was a tight holster, you might be yanking on the butt of that shotgun for a bit. Conversely, a real loose holster would be the opposite problem.

Like someone else said, probably too much bulk, but something new/different. It might lead to a different idea or variation that does work.
hilljo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 20:10   #8
Aceman

This is not your epiphany. There is a classic intarwebs photo of an SG with a number of things duct taped to it - including a pocket pistol. And no - I don't think this will work.

Not saying it can't...just more trouble than tucking the other gun in the waistband.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 21:15   #9
mixflip

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilljo View Post
Try it. One of the few actually new/original ideas I've heard in a long time.

I think the actual "unholstering" part would be tough. If for example it was a tight holster, you might be yanking on the butt of that shotgun for a bit. Conversely, a real loose holster would be the opposite problem.

Like someone else said, probably too much bulk, but something new/different. It might lead to a different idea or variation that does work.
Well a serpa holster is a level II holster that locks so issues of it being too tight or too loose can be solved there. To unlock it only requires a touch of the index finger as you draw it, for those who arent familiar with it.

As for bulky? I have seen butt stock ammo pouches with velcro straps that look bulkier than a pocket pistol. Heck I think I could even put a pocket pistol inside one of those ammo pouches?

As for unwieldy? I have seen alot more things clamped and bolted onto shotguns like lights and lasers and side saddles and ammo slings and heat shields and forward pistol grips ect ect.

If I can find a cheap donor butt stock I will definately try and bolt on a serpa holster. I dont want to mess up my current stocks.

Last edited by mixflip; 03-26-2010 at 21:17..
Old 03-27-2010, 08:43   #10
Lowrangerider

"Everybody knows you never go full retard!!!"

audemus jura nostra defendere
Lowrangerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:53   #11
David Armstrong

Quote:
What do you guys think???
Personally, I think there are decades of experience using the shotgun as a defensive and offensive weapon out there, and the over-riding issue for the average Joe is just learning how to use the shotgun. And I think there is a reason that after all those decades of experience a relatively few number of default posistions have developed over time. I notice that sticking an extra gun on the butt of the shotgun is not one of those default positions. I think there is a reason for that.
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:46   #12
MCPreacher

I had another thought...

Do you never practice weak hand with your shotgun? How are you going to get a sight picture/cheek weld or even get it into position correctly with a pistol stuck to the stock?

What about mounting your extra gun on the receiver instead of the stock?
G36 Club 47
Snubbie Club 001
MCPreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:06   #13
mixflip

Good point. Sadly alot of us dont practice support side like we should. I try to squeeze in some but it just not something the average guy practices but should thats for sure.

Now I am just guessing its no different than firing support side with a bunch of 00-buck shells in my face? This is something I could test out when I give it a field test?

As for dogmatic tactics being unchangeable? I am on the fence with it because firearms instructors do not teach the same techniques my grandfather was taught in WWII. Firearms techniques advance just like construction engineering and medical science and so on.

Tea cup grip, support hand in pocket ect ect were all the gold standard at one time. Techniques and tactics change with time and technology and a changing battle field. I am not saying I want to change, I am just saying I am open to knew ideas to ad to my tool box. It may not work for others and it may not work fork for me? I amnot trying to change the world. I am just curious about an idea thats all. If it doesnt work for me...I still have my tool box full of usefull stuff to use.

I remember when folks hated the idea of drop leg holsters because it went against the grain of hip holster teachings. Now everybody who wears a kit wears one. How else are you going to wear body armor or draw your gun from a seated position. (yeah I know - cross draw but that too isnt the classic hip holster position either which is my point)

Last edited by mixflip; 03-27-2010 at 12:22..
Old 03-27-2010, 17:08   #14
aippi

Since you asked. Wrong headed for many reasons. First, as GreyEclipse pointed out should you lose the long gun, your back up went with it. Second, more junk and weight on the primary weapon to make it more difficult to deploy. Third, there is no benifit to it as most hand gun carry positions would be just as fast if bnot faster to deploy from.

Two weapons on one platform is not a new concept. There have been all kinds of ideas before. Remember the 870 that mounts under your AR-15. What a beast that was. We are talking about firearms that are going to be called upon when are lives are on the line and "keep them basic" is more important then coming up with gimicks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 20:05   #15
mixflip

I agree hanging junk on long guns is always bad. I am on board with KISS "keep it simple stupid".

The mindset of this idea is for the guy who has his shotgun sitting in his room (prefferably in a locker or safe). Not an operator or cop or some kind of tactical ninja.

He hears a crash at his back window at 2am and grabs his shotgun and goes for a look. Now I know alot of folks often only grab the shotgun and forget to grab an additional handgun and mount it on his hip. Which is hard to do in pajamas anyway right? He also usually forgets to grab his cell phone to call 911 if he needs to.

This being said, grabbing a shotgun with a tiny, lightweight, single stacked PF9 attached to the shotguns butt stock seems like a nice grab and go package especially when most folsk forget to grab and holster a backup handgun anyway. Its already on it and your off!!!

Its an ugly fact of life that the average guy who grabs his shotgun at 2am often chooses not to or forgets to strap on a handgun along with the shotgun ...if the argument is that "if the shotgun gets taken away and you will loose your backup too?" then in this case (if you dont have a backup on your hip in the first place), it wouldnt matter because you dont have a handgun on your hip?

This is obviously a training issue. grab your shotgun AND your handgun!!!!

If you actually lost your long gun in a close quarters wrestling match for the gun, I think the second you loose full control of the shotgun...you will be running for cover and running for your handgun that you forgot or chose not to bring in the first place.

Also, say you are one of those hard core folks that actually do investigate a crash at the back door with your shotgun (I wish eveybody did this) and you take the time to strap on that side arm too then head out in the dark???

Whats wrong with having that little PF9 (or what ever you choose?) holstered on your shotgun if its no heavier or larger than say a 6 shot shell holder? In the time it would take to load "1" shot shell, you could unholster the little single stacked 9mm and have "8" 9mm +P JHPs rounds at the ready and on target.

Like I said, I am not trying to change the accepted gold standard. I am just not seeing a huge downside to the idea of a tiny single stacked 9mm in that spot on the butt stock vs 6 extra shells? We all know in a gun fight, time is life.

I am going to test this idea out so there is not just a knee jerk reaction to the idea. I'll run some dry fire drills in my house. Moving and drawing it and try to get a full real world feel for it. Like I said I will even try and make a video of my test if I get really into this idea?

As for the shotgun on the AR? I am not a fan of that idea btw. Also its not really something an average Joe would have as a resource for home defense. Thats a military idea.

Thanks for the input and ideas guys. I know appi and David Armstrong have lots of experience with shotguns and I respect these guys alot. So please dont take this idea as disrespectful to the established teachings. For the record, I am not pushing anybody to try this but me. If it works for me after testing..I will not be advocating any body to follow me. Solid and proven training techniques should always be followed and I advocate that 100%.

Last edited by mixflip; 03-27-2010 at 20:17..
Old 03-28-2010, 12:45   #16
David Armstrong

Quote:
As for dogmatic tactics being unchangeable? I am on the fence with it because firearms instructors do not teach the same techniques my grandfather was taught in WWII. Firearms techniques advance just like construction engineering and medical science and so on.
True, which is why one can look at current trends and techniques and get a pretty good idea of what has been found to work and what hasn't.
Quote:
Now I am just guessing its no different than firing support side with a bunch of 00-buck shells in my face? This is something I could test out when I give it a field test?
Why would you want to fire with a bunch of 00Buck shells in your face, or a small handgun? That is one of the problems with hanging things on the stock, they reduce the versatility and capability of the gun rather than increase it.
Quote:
I remember when folks hated the idea of drop leg holsters because it went against the grain of hip holster teachings. Now everybody who wears a kit wears one. How else are you going to wear body armor or draw your gun from a seated position.
Most folks still hate the idea of drop leg holsters. But that is a completely different issue. Under certain conditions, such as wearing combat vest and armor, there really isn't much of an alternative. We have experimented with keeping the handgun at the hip, attaching it to the vest, using a shoulder rig, etc. The drop leg holster becomes the default in certain situations not because it is a great way to carry a handgun, it becomes the default because it works better than the alternatives.

I feel compelled to ask, what formal tactical training with the shotgun have you had?

Last edited by David Armstrong; 03-30-2010 at 15:14..
Old 03-28-2010, 17:02   #17
mixflip

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
I feel compelled to ask, what formal tactical training with the shotgun have you had?
I am nobody special. I am no expert at all. Just a guy who did some time with the Marines and some law enforcement and a gun enthusiasts in general. I dont really like to go on gun forums and tell folks all about myself. I am just a nobody who had an idea.

Like I said. I am not trying to tell anyone what to do. I just had a home defense idea based on the old question "whats the fastest reload" and the old answer "weapon transition" thats all.

If it isnt practical or safe I will tell my friends and who ever is interested to hear about how it works. If it doesnt work then of course I will have a huge amount of ground to stand on since I actually tested it.

Hey David, are you saying you dont advocate shell holders on butt stocks at all? I feel compelled to ask...can you post a pic of your ideal home defense shotgun setup and why its setup the way it is? I'd really like to see it (and copy it if it works for me too?) I am not talking a shotgun SWAT or SF use. Just a regular Joe's shotgun.

Last edited by mixflip; 03-28-2010 at 17:05..
Old 03-28-2010, 17:43   #18
David Armstrong

Quote:
I am nobody special. I am no expert at all. Just a guy who did some time with the Marines and some law enforcement and a gun enthusiasts in general. I dont really like to go on gun forums and tell folks all about myself. I am just a nobody who had an idea.
My point is that if you would take some time to get a good tactical shotgun class under your belt many of these questions/issues you bring up on this forum can be looked at from a better perspective, IMO.
Quote:
Hey David, are you saying you dont advocate shell holders on butt stocks at all?
No, I don't. I prefer and recommend for most a fairly stock gun without all sorts of doo-dads stuck on it. If you absolutely must carry ammo on the shotgun the sidesaddle format seems the least objectionable to me. Don't have any pics, but my two fighting shotguns are:
Beretta 1201, 20", stock except for the addition of Ashley Express Sights.
Remington 870 Wingmaster, 18", stock with the original Scattergun Tech Basic Package (1-round mag extension, new furniture, parkerized, bead-on-base sight, sling attachment).
The 870 is pretty much what I would consider good for home defense for the Average Joe. Trim, light, reliable, does everything you need a HD shotgun to do. I like the option of putting on a sling (although I don't recommend it for home use) and I also recommend a shorter stock if appropriate. That's about it. Spend more money learning to shoot, less on doo-dads.

Last edited by David Armstrong; 03-30-2010 at 15:14..
Old 03-28-2010, 20:35   #19
mixflip

Understood and I agree 100%. I do need more training. I plan on signing up for a fighting shotgun class in my neck of the woods. Suarez International has a shotgun course in L.A. Ca. in Oct 2010 (long time away bust closest to me vs Colorado) or a 2 Day Tactical Shotgun course at Front Sight in Nevada next month. I really dont want to fly, rent a car and hotel because I am short on extra cash as it is.

Its alot of cash especially during these tough economic times. My dept has "0" money to sponsor me so its all out of my own pocket and I dont make alot of money with furloughs and zero OT. As it stands I might just have a garage sale to finance some training? lol.

I'll make it happen and get the training some how.

Last edited by mixflip; 03-28-2010 at 20:37..
Old 03-29-2010, 18:40   #20
FM12
I need AMMO!

Your guns, your idea, I say go for it. A pox on the naysayers.