Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:04   #1
Lone Kimono

Hiking Pack

Could anyone suggest a small/lite hiking pack that could serve as a get home bag as well?

I have some cheap ones from Walmart, but the zippers drive me nuts because they are constantly getting snagged. The last one broke in the middle of a hike and caused a lot of "joy" for me.
Lone Kimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:06   #2
Aceman

DOes it have to be a "pack"

I use a Maxpedition Jumbo for exactly that. It's my main "Bag"

Afternoon out, hike through woods, hunting, toss in car everything bag.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:27   #3
callihan_44
INFIDEL

I have a granite gear 60L loaded with my gear weighs 32lbs for 5 days worth of stuff, not sure that is what you want or not...not cheap and no zippers, it's more of a stuff sack type...I would get on some camping-hiking gear sites like campmor or rei and just check some stuff out
callihan_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 15:09   #4
Mike2

Colossus

I use the Maxpedition Colossus. It has a great deal of room and can meet a bunch of needs. It is tough as nails and I have drug it thru thick and thin and have abused it and I Do mean abused it but it has hung in there and performed flawlessly. There are plenty of smaller bags out there that will fulfill your needs but its like everything else, you do get what you pay for. Go ahead and spend a little extra and buy quality gear and you will save money in the long run. Times are hard right now and finances are very tight but this is something that will make your life better and may even help save your life or the life of one of your loved ones.
Old 02-03-2014, 16:41   #5
Deputydave

Hard to beat a good medium ALICE pack or one of the Fieldline bags. The FL's are pretty much a 5.11 pack at about a third (or fourth) of the price.
Deputydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 18:01   #6
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I bought three sizes of Kelty packs a couple years ago. They get used for whatever (not bob). They are holding up well.
Old 02-03-2014, 20:47   #7
Nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
I bought three sizes of Kelty packs a couple years ago. They get used for whatever (not bob). They are holding up well.
Kelty's are great for their price. There are definitely better packs out there, but the cost starts going up pretty quickly. They are comfortable enough, and durable enough. Plus they don't look tactical, so you don't stand out like a sore thumb if you had to carry it to get home.
Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 21:30   #8
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

Can you give me the size, weight, and how much you plan on carrying at what distance? Also need your budget.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States
actionshooter10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 22:40   #9
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nest View Post
Kelty's are great for their price. There are definitely better packs out there, but the cost starts going up pretty quickly. They are comfortable enough, and durable enough. Plus they don't look tactical, so you don't stand out like a sore thumb if you had to carry it to get home.
Well, I could walk around the mall or anti-gun places and not get looks. I went with a tan one and the others are greenish (not OD).

If someone gave me the option of choosing the color, I like a tan bag and I like black bags. For the most part no one looks at you with those colors.

It is not like the Brit I saw the other day, his bag stood out.
Old 02-03-2014, 23:16   #10
Clusterfrack

I have an Eagle Patrol pack that's the best small day pack I've had. It does stand out among the REI crowd though

Survival/Preparedness Forum
Old 02-04-2014, 06:27   #11
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

My first bags were your standard internal frame packs but in the summer in Florida they make so much heat on your lower back by contact that I switched to the faithful Alice Pack with an external steel frame which are very nice.

While traveling through Maine I stopped at LL Bean and found an AT35 which has a very small aluminum external frame that is made like a bow to create a separation between your lower back and the pack. This is great for weight and heat. Not to mention it's just the right size for 3 days and an out of shape hiker (not always me, but I am getting older)...

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 13:50   #12
Lone Kimono

Sorry, I should have posted the size I was looking for. I'm looking for something in the 1500-2500 inch range. That Eagle pack would stick out, but looks very nice. Maybe it wouldn't as much in black.

I'm a fan of Kelty products, but how are the zippers on their packs?
Old 02-04-2014, 13:58   #13
lumbermill

I use Osprey packs for just about everything. They are light, durable, and a bit pricy. They do have an awesome warranty. If anything goes wrong with the pack for any reason they repair/replace no questions asked. Although it takes a near purposeful act to damage their products.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
lumbermill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 14:10   #14
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Kimono View Post
Sorry, I should have posted the size I was looking for. I'm looking for something in the 1500-2500 inch range. That Eagle pack would stick out, but looks very nice. Maybe it wouldn't as much in black.

I'm a fan of Kelty products, but how are the zippers on their packs?
You didn't post your budget so:

Good

Better

Best
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
Old 02-04-2014, 14:11   #15
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

Something to consider. And the above photo is a good example.

See all those mole straps. Each one weighs something. Now if you are going to use them, they are worth their weight. But if you are not going to use them, they are just heavy.

Then we have to think about how robust a pack is. Yes, I have a couple military packs. They are robust. They will not fail at the wrong time......but they are very heavy and I can usually see when stuff starts to fail and get a new item.

Now if we are preparing for TEOTWAWKI, that robust pack may be a good idea, but when you plan on putting some distance down that light pack is king.
Old 02-04-2014, 14:32   #16
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

I'll recommend a Kifaru Spike Camp.

2400ci.

Doesn't scream "tactical goodies inside."

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 16:09   #17
Lone Kimono

Thanks for the links Acitonshooter10! I was hoping to spend less than $200, but want to get something good. I'm done fighting with stuck zippers on the trail.
Old 02-04-2014, 17:41   #18
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

At less than 200, I would go with the Eberlestock.

It will NEVER fail and is available with the hip belt if you want to put weight in it. I'm not positive that the model I linked is scabbard compatible but most of theirs are.

ETA: It is scabbard compatible and that is a great addition. You can take the scabbard on and off so you don't always have the weight. Pack by itself is only 4 lbs.

I have the skycrane and like the modularity that it offers...but it isn't cheap.
George Washington

Last edited by actionshooter10; 02-04-2014 at 17:47..
Old 02-04-2014, 18:19   #19
Lone Kimono

You are a good salesman
Old 02-04-2014, 19:02   #20
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

Just believe in their product...
George Washington
Old 02-04-2014, 19:16   #21
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
DOes it have to be a "pack"

I use a Maxpedition Jumbo for exactly that. It's my main "Bag"

Afternoon out, hike through woods, hunting, toss in car everything bag.
I have the same bag. I love it. We take it hiking and it doubles as my GHB.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 19:39   #22
cowboy1964

+1 on the Keltys. Lots of reviews on YouTube.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:36   #23
dregotglock
CHL Instructor

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/MOLLE-984

I picked up 5 of these for bug out bags a couple of years ago - my middle child and I use our daily and they have held up to every day use. I find the quality to be excellent and has good padding for comfortable carry. The 3 day pack is perfect for an every day carry bag. I can take a lap top, first aid gear, flashlight, waterbottle, survival gear, and just about everything else I need during my day.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:19   #24
Breadman03

Send a message via Skype™ to Breadman03
I picked up a MILSURP ILBE with a daypack. It serves as a great combo pack. The daily necessities go in the daypack-food, TP, socks, knife, navigation/signaling stuff. Nice to have, but not absolutely necessary stuff goes in the ILBE along with sleeping gear.
Old 02-05-2014, 18:12   #25
nmk

I've always been pleased with Osprey and Kelty for the price.
nmk is offline   Reply With Quote