Old 03-11-2015, 13:22   #1
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Blue Freedom Hydropower Plant

http://www.werd.com/29254/
http://www.werd.com/29254/

Blue Freedom Hydropower Plant

Blue Freedom is the world’s smallest hydropower plant; a pocket-size power supply that charges up with the power of moving water. Drop the little turbine into the brook by your campsite and in one hour underwater it generates 10 hours of power for your smartphone, camera, & other electronics.

There is one place I go where this would work.

Never cruel or cowardly.
Never give up. Never give in.
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 20:51   #2
jdeere_man
CLM Number 26
Charter Lifetime Member

looks interesting, but it doesn't even look like its in production yet

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...dropower-plant

packable though? I don't know it looks pretty big

Last edited by jdeere_man; 03-11-2015 at 20:52..
jdeere_man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:50   #3
20South

Solar for me.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:36   #4
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20South View Post
Solar for me.
I have solar also.

The issue I have with solar is I move during the day. Solar doesn't work very well while I am moving. I am also far enough north that it doesn't work well at times.

Hydro is just another option, but not a lot of power from this unit and it is mechanical....

Never cruel or cowardly.
Old 03-14-2015, 20:22   #5
gotplastic

Very interesting. But $1,000 and its plastic, most of the areas i hike aren't deep enough that a good size stick wouldn't take this out in a trip.
gotplastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:01   #6
20South

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
I have solar also.

The issue I have with solar is I move during the day. Solar doesn't work very well while I am moving. I am also far enough north that it doesn't work well at times.

Hydro is just another option, but not a lot of power from this unit and it is mechanical....
It is another option, but for me - so are extra batteries. Aside from my phone which is charged via solar, I only have a GPS that runs on AAA. Those are easy enough to carry extras of. On the few occasions I have taken my GOPRO, I carry a few extra batteries - pre charged. I have made is longer then a week without trouble. I rarely go out anymore longer then that. This is a cool technology for sure, I just don't see it as much of anything other then a cool conversation piece around a car camping trip. It seems like a solution looking for a problem.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:53   #7
mac66
Plant the seed

I rarely if ever use my cellphone/mp3 player/laptop/netbook/tablet or anything else electric when out in the woods. I can actually survive without any electricity for long periods of time so I haven't found the need to embrace this fancy modern technology stuff yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:15   #8
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

"Drop the little turbine into the brook" sounds a little oversimplified.

It looks like it would surely need to be positioned just right in the brook, and somehow held there, in that exact position, so it doesn't get itself turned and stop working. I saw no indication how you're supposed to do that.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 00:14   #9
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

There is quite a bit of work for successful small scale water turbine operations. It's hardly "plug n play." And goddess help you if you "drop" something like that in a salmon bearing stream and the government catches you . . .

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

One day closer to retirement . . .

Last edited by Morris; 03-17-2015 at 00:15..
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:58   #10
Deputydave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
I have solar also.

What solar set up do you have? Since last year I've been using the Anker 14W along with the Nitecore UM20 charger.

I was actually surprised at how well, and quickly this worked to charge up my phone, Ipad and various sized li-ion batteries (up to 18650). Been very pleased with it and during one of our SEP gatherings last year tested it out very late in the day when the sun was low on the horizon. Still picked up a decent charge. I couple those two items with the Anker Astro and I've got more juice than I'd need in a weekend or even a week or more as long as the sun is shining.

Note the Anker Astro listed is 16000mah which is a 1000mah more than my model, and it's also $11 cheaper than the one I purchased.

Here are some reviews I did, including charge times:

Anker 14W

Anker Astro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Deputydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 16:30   #11
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputydave View Post
What solar set up do you have?
I am currently out of town and don't remember the brand name.

For a backpacker setup, it isn't bad. For a permanent location....not powerful enough and that means not big enough.

Never cruel or cowardly.