Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-19-2014, 18:33   #1
Tvov

GenerLink generator house connection

Anyone use one of these?

http://www.generlink.com/about_generlink.cfm

A generator plug installed at the house electric meter. I guess you just plug in your generator, and when the "generlink" senses the generator power it disconnects from the street power and allows the generator to power the house, without any back feeding into the street lines. Recommended by my electric company and meets all electric codes. And my electrician friend highly recommends them, as being idiot proof and less expensive and easier to install than a manual switch over.

I am just wondering about other people's experiences with them, good and especially any bad.

Thanks!
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 20:04   #2
Carry16

Basically it is a double pole double throw relay which is activated by power from your generator. The only thing you need to do besides connect and start your generator, is turn off all your breakers you don't want to run off your generator. You might also want to examine your panel and rewire a few circuits to balance the load to the generator. By this I mean that you would not want all circuits on one 120v side of the generator and nothing on the other leg. Wonder what it costs?
Carry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 20:05   #3
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvov View Post
Anyone use one of these?

http://www.generlink.com/about_generlink.cfm

A generator plug installed at the house electric meter. I guess you just plug in your generator, and when the "generlink" senses the generator power it disconnects from the street power and allows the generator to power the house, without any back feeding into the street lines. Recommended by my electric company and meets all electric codes. And my electrician friend highly recommends them, as being idiot proof and less expensive and easier to install than a manual switch over.

I am just wondering about other people's experiences with them, good and especially any bad.

Thanks!
I don't have this product, but I do have a transfer switch that will not feed back into the grid.

It's worked very well. My only gripe is that it seems to make my gfi outlets trip a bit more often. Not a big deal for me but YMMV.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States

Last edited by actionshooter10; 04-19-2014 at 20:07..
actionshooter10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 20:24   #4
Tvov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry16 View Post
Basically it is a double pole double throw relay which is activated by power from your generator. The only thing you need to do besides connect and start your generator, is turn off all your breakers you don't want to run off your generator. You might also want to examine your panel and rewire a few circuits to balance the load to the generator. By this I mean that you would not want all circuits on one 120v side of the generator and nothing on the other leg. Wonder what it costs?
I'll check with my electrician about the load and legs. He has installed these many times, he seems to know all about them.

He said the total cost installed would be in the neighborhood of $800 - my understanding is the "kit" comes with a 20 foot heavy duty generator cord to use from generator to house. For a manual switch I would need another electric panel installed and would be around $1200 (this includes running a line to a plug on the outside wall of the house). This work would be up to date with all electrical and building codes (which usually magically makes everything more expensive, lol!).
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 20:28   #5
Carry16

$800 sounds reasonable I suppose.
Carry16 is offline   Reply With Quote