GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-20-2011, 17:45   #221
swinokur

IMO bad ida. The smallest amount of gunpowder residue will set off the bomb detectors not to mention a loose cartridge or brass. You will be delayed for any of these reasons. I'd pack my gear in another non firearm bag for use as a carry on.

My .02
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 18:09   #222
kensteele

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrex View Post
One more question:
I'll basically be taking my range bag as a carry on. Do you guys pack all your shooting gear in your checked bag to make life easy, or is some ok for carry on? I know mags have to go in the checked bag, but I'm talking about things like electronic ears, shooting glasses, cleaning supplies, etc. These things would not be barred from the plane, but may make me get some second looks from security.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
IMO bad ida. The smallest amount of gunpowder residue will set off the bomb detectors not to mention a loose cartridge or brass. You will be delayed for any of these reasons. I'd pack my gear in another non firearm bag for use as a carry on.

My .02
Not in my experience, I'm not so sure "the small amount of gunpowder residue will set off the bomb detectors." Even if it does, you'll get checked and be on your way in minutes if nothing is found. They get lots of false alarms but still, I don't think smokeless gunpowder triggers like an explosive (but then again, I'm not an expert either). Plus you probably have to be selected to go thru that inspection. Yes, loose brass is a no-no.

If you're going to check bags, might as well check as much as you can. I wouldn't carry on a bunch of range equipment.
kensteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 14:26   #223
MacG22
CLM Number 213
Charter Lifetime Member

Range bag isn't the simplest solution as there are things that can go wrong, including forgetting something in a crease/pocket, etc. That said, there's nothing inherently bad about it and so long as you check it thoroughly you should be fine.

I used a duffle one time that I'd used for camping and thought I'd emptied it properly. I was late for the flight, and didn't realize in some little zippered pocket I'd left a really good little pocket knife. I didn't have time to mail it back to myself, so I lost it.

If you want to fly with low drama, I always recommend only using your flying luggage for flying. However, that's just a "low drama" rule and in general I'm sure you could cross over your range gear just fine with few issues ever encountered.
Old 07-01-2011, 19:30   #224
srprex

Tested---proven!

MAC22: I followed your advice to the letter for my trip from OKC to Denver and then back again. Smooth as silk.....all I was required to do was to open my hard case with my key so SW could put their Declaration Card inside....5-10 minutes at the most. On the way back, Denver did take my bag to the TSA room....ran it through the X-ray.....said I was good...again, 3 to 4 minutes and I was on my way...no hassle.
If you are going to fly.....take this man's advice....it works!
srprex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:06   #225
swinokur

The declaration card should be outside the hard case. If a secondary search is conducted, there will be no way to know if the handgun was declared at check in. It amazes me the lack of knowledge on the part of airline personnel in regards to firearms.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:18   #226
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Quote:
The declaration card should be outside the hard case. If a secondary search is conducted, there will be no way to know if the handgun was declared at check in. It amazes me the lack of knowledge on the part of airline personnel in regards to firearms.
I've pointed this out SEVERAL times. Only ONE agent put the declaration card outside of the locked case (taped it to the outside). That simply MAKES SENSE. If they put it INSIDE, which is what they've done every other time, how is anyone to know??? Except me, when I open it at my destination. Stupid is as stupid does.
racer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 13:59   #227
srprex

Declaration Card

Quote:
I printed the policy off TSA and Southwest Airlines websites and I don't see where it specifies where the card goes?? You have anything that shows that?
srprex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 14:14   #228
swinokur

Here's my thinking. TSA says you are the only person to have a key to your locked hard case. TSA frequently conducts secondary searches of bags after they leave the check in counter. If you are a TSA employee who opens a suitcase with what appears to be a firearm case that you cannot get access to, and no declaration card is visible,what are you going to do if you cannot see a firearm declaration tag?

I know what I would do. Bag not going on the plane. But if I can see the declaration card and find nothing else, the baggage is GTG for being loaded on the plane.

But of course I'm using common sense and logic, something in very short supply at TSA.
Old 07-02-2011, 14:27   #229
edrex

I flew using this guide a couple weeks ago. Flying out of Oakland, CA on Southwest the checkin guy was very comfortable with the process. He taped the declaration to the case the gun was in and walked me over to the TSA security door. He had me wait while he took my bag in to be screened. He came out a few minutes later, laughingly asked if I was law enforcement because my range bag with mags, holsters, ammo, etc was also in my suitcase and then sent me on my way.
Flying back out of Las Vegas they were also very comfortable with the process, taping the card to the case again and then sent my bag back to TSA. They had me wait off to the side of the counter and said if no one comes out looking for me in 10 minutes to head to my gate. No one came out, I moved on and everything went well.
Thanks again, Mac.
edrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 00:36   #230
ScottieG59

I just returned from a business trip in which I took a handgun. The whole process was very easy for me. The last time I flew with a handgun was around 30 years ago. Back then, the bright orange label was a tag on the outside of the suitcase and nothing was locked.

I have a couple steel cases that I cable lock to the suitcase frame. The only keys are with me. Also, I used a proper TSA lock on the suitcase. The key thing is that the gun is locked in a case and is unloaded.

Prior to the flight, I checked to make sure my permits covered all states I would be in. If I could not make a connection flight, I would possibly have to take my luggage and gun to a hotel for the night. I realize the federal government may say I was OK since I was traveling, but I do not want to have to deal with the legal system if it is avoidable. If it were New Jersey, things could get complex. Years ago, I had to avoid New York once since they did not recognize my federal permit when I returned from Germany in the Army.

To avoid making people nervous, when I got to my destination, I checked my baggage in the mens room and not at baggage claim.

I carried my ammo in the box it came in and locked that in another steel case cable locked in the suitcase.

Anyway, I checked with the airlines on their website to get their policy and I verified the law in my destination state. Some states have very different laws dealing on where you may be armed and on when you may use deadly force. I found no surprises.

The place I visited has a much higher violent crime rate than my home area. I made it a point, as always, to avoid common robbery places, especially at night.

TSA seems to be happy with their x-ray systems. I did not confirm this, but they seem to be able to tell if the weapon is loaded. The whole thing was very simple and routine. Just make sure to keep your suitcase under control. On my return trip, the counter was working fast and they almost took the suitcase and I had to stop the guy to ensure the handgun was declared.
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:48   #231
rmarkob
NRA Member

Send a message via AIM to rmarkob
Quote:
Airline personnel get confused because if it's a long gun case, the case IS the luggage and the only place to put the declaration card is inside.

I've seen a supervisor explain that distinction to the counter person, but unfortunately the TSA regs don't spell this out:

1. Long gun case on its own - put the card inside.
2. Hard pistol case inside standard luggage - put card inside luggage (preferably attached to the outside of the hard case by tape or elastic string) but NOT inside the hard case.

Neither the long gun case nor the pistol case can have a TSA lock, but the standard luggage with pistol case inside can have a TSA lock as long as the pistol case has a non-TSA lock.

I've seriously considered getting one of those suitcase-sized Pelican cases to use as luggage after seeing a video about how easy it is to open standard roller luggage zippers with a ballpoint pen, and how easy it is to close the zipper by sliding the locked zipper ends back over the opened area. The break-in is undetectable until you miss whatever was stolen.

Last edited by rmarkob; 07-03-2011 at 09:49.. Reason: spelling
rmarkob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:55   #232
swinokur

excellent points. I have never traveled with a long gun.

The zipper break in is another reason Mac advises on securing the hard case inside your luggage. I bought a small security cable with loops on each end and a good combo lock and secure to the handle tubes inside the luggage. (who needs lost keys?)

Last edited by swinokur; 07-03-2011 at 09:56..
Old 07-04-2011, 12:59   #233
MacG22
CLM Number 213
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srprex View Post
MAC22: I followed your advice to the letter for my trip from OKC to Denver and then back again. Smooth as silk.....all I was required to do was to open my hard case with my key so SW could put their Declaration Card inside....5-10 minutes at the most. On the way back, Denver did take my bag to the TSA room....ran it through the X-ray.....said I was good...again, 3 to 4 minutes and I was on my way...no hassle.
If you are going to fly.....take this man's advice....it works!
Quote:
Originally Posted by edrex View Post
I flew using this guide a couple weeks ago. Flying out of Oakland, CA on Southwest the checkin guy was very comfortable with the process. He taped the declaration to the case the gun was in and walked me over to the TSA security door. He had me wait while he took my bag in to be screened. He came out a few minutes later, laughingly asked if I was law enforcement because my range bag with mags, holsters, ammo, etc was also in my suitcase and then sent me on my way.
Flying back out of Las Vegas they were also very comfortable with the process, taping the card to the case again and then sent my bag back to TSA. They had me wait off to the side of the counter and said if no one comes out looking for me in 10 minutes to head to my gate. No one came out, I moved on and everything went well.
Thanks again, Mac.
Glad I could help, guys.
Old 07-04-2011, 13:00   #234
MacG22
CLM Number 213
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
Airline personnel get confused because if it's a long gun case, the case IS the luggage and the only place to put the declaration card is inside.

I've seen a supervisor explain that distinction to the counter person, but unfortunately the TSA regs don't spell this out:

1. Long gun case on its own - put the card inside.
2. Hard pistol case inside standard luggage - put card inside luggage (preferably attached to the outside of the hard case by tape or elastic string) but NOT inside the hard case.

Neither the long gun case nor the pistol case can have a TSA lock, but the standard luggage with pistol case inside can have a TSA lock as long as the pistol case has a non-TSA lock.

I've seriously considered getting one of those suitcase-sized Pelican cases to use as luggage after seeing a video about how easy it is to open standard roller luggage zippers with a ballpoint pen, and how easy it is to close the zipper by sliding the locked zipper ends back over the opened area. The break-in is undetectable until you miss whatever was stolen.
Great points.
Old 07-26-2011, 00:43   #235
Montezuma

How should I go about this if I am flying with multiple handguns? I am worried I won't be able to fit 4 in one box that will also fit inside my luggage.

Long guns I am just going to ship unless someone thinks I should do otherwise.
Montezuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:13   #236
swinokur

Call your airline. They each have different rules on number of firearms per case. I know American Airlines has limits on the number of firearms per case.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:07   #237
minameismud

Did T$A change the firearms page recently?

I guess it used to say this: ([URL="http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17196142&postcount=208"]source[/URL])
Quote:
The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criterion. The pictures provided here illustrate the difference between a properly packaged and an improperly packaged firearm.
Now it says this: ([URL="http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm"]source[/URL])
Quote:
The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from being accessed. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort cannot be brought aboard the aircraft. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.
So...I may have to give my key or combo over now?

Last edited by minameismud; 08-22-2011 at 07:08..
minameismud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:16   #238
dnuggett
PRO 2A

Quote:
Originally Posted by minameismud View Post
Did T$A change the firearms page recently?

I guess it used to say this: (source)

Now it says this: (source)

So...I may have to give my key or combo over now?
No you can keep your keys. Tell them you want to be present when the bag is screened.
dnuggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 18:05   #239
swinokur

No matter how poorly written the TSA web page is here is the exact Federal Law:
Quote:
49 C.F.R. § 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals.
Title 49 - Transportation

Title 49: Transportation
PART 1540—CIVIL AVIATION SECURITY: GENERAL RULES
Subpart B—Responsibilities of Passengers and Other Individuals and Persons

§ 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals.

Link to an amendment published at 71 FR 30507, May 26, 2006.
(a) On an individual's person or accessible property—prohibitions. Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, an individual may not have a weapon, explosive, or incendiary, on or about the individual's person or accessible property—
(1) When performance has begun of the inspection of the individual's person or accessible property before entering a sterile area, or before boarding an aircraft for which screening is conducted under §1544.201 or §1546.201 of this chapter;
(2) When the individual is entering or in a sterile area; or
(3) When the individual is attempting to board or onboard an aircraft for which screening is conducted under §§1544.201, 1546.201, or 1562.23 of this chapter.
(b) On an individual's person or accessible property—permitted carriage of a weapon. Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply as to carriage of firearms and other weapons if the individual is one of the following:
(1) Law enforcement personnel required to carry a firearm or other weapons while in the performance of law enforcement duty at the airport.
(2) An individual authorized to carry a weapon in accordance with §§1544.219, 1544.221, 1544.223, 1546.211, or subpart B of part 1562 of this chapter.
(3) An individual authorized to carry a weapon in a sterile area under a security program.
(c) In checked baggage. A passenger may not transport or offer for transport in checked baggage or in baggage carried in an inaccessible cargo hold under §1562.23 of this chapter:
(1) Any loaded firearm(s).
(2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless—
(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;
(ii) The firearm is unloaded;
(iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and
(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.
(3) Any unauthorized explosive or incendiary.
(d) Ammunition. This section does not prohibit the carriage of ammunition in checked baggage or in the same container as a firearm. Title 49 CFR part 175 provides additional requirements governing carriage of ammunition on aircraft.
[67 FR 8353, Feb. 22, 2002, as amended at 67 FR 41639, June 19, 2002; 70 FR 41600, July 19, 2005]

Last edited by swinokur; 08-22-2011 at 18:06..
Old 08-30-2011, 18:38   #240
semper fi

Had to fly to Chicago midway last week. Took my new g23 with me to have with me for my drive back to Florida. Thanks to Mac and his guide everything went flawless. Thanks Mac.
semper fi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airplane gun, fly gun, tsa travel rules