Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:57   #1
wmspdi

G17 or G34 for an open/unlimited gun

I am thinking about building an unlimited/open gun for GSSF and USPSA.
I had planned on using a ported G35 as a base gun. This would allow me to make Major Power Factor without having to hot rod my handloads. I dropped that plan due to comments I read regarding .40 S&W magazine capacity.

Currently my options are:

Start with a G17 and replace the stock parts with a barrel/comp, C-More STS, lightweight striker, springs, rod, trigger work, mag well...

or

G34 with a 4 port Lone Wolf barrel, C-More STS, lightweight striker, springs, rod, trigger work, mag well...

The advantage to using the G34 as a base would be a feel close to my G34 IDPA gun (and G35 Limited gun), the ability to remove the barrel for cleaning, compatabilty with my G34/35 holster, slightly shorted overall length, better balance and much lower cost to build the gun.

My concerns and questions are:

1- Will I get enough energy from the ported G34 barrel to eliminate muzzel lift with minor and major loads?

2- Since a ported G34 barrel has a slightly shorter length of solid barrel before the ports start bleeding off gas (compared to a G17 barrel and compensator) will I be able to make Major 9 with handloads.

BTW- for those who like to say "use the search function"... been there and done that. Although I have a Springfield TRP, and love the 1911/2011 flatform, an STI/SVI is out of my budget range at this time, plus it could not be used for GSSF. I can buy a either of the Glock base guns listed above with a Blue Label LEO discount keeping the cost down. Cost is a BIG factor, but I don't want to waste time and money on something doomed to fail from the start. Thanks.
wmspdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 18:22   #2
HK Dan

I don't think a ported gun will keep up with a specifically comped gun. To be competitive in Open, I'd scrap that idea. Look at SJC's ad in Front Sight--they'll tune you an open GLOCK for $479 and shipping.
Old 05-10-2010, 20:10   #3
9x45

1- Will I get enough energy from the ported G34 barrel to eliminate muzzel lift with minor and major loads?

If you are going to run major 9mm, you better do it with a 1911 platform, and not a Glock.
9x45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 16:23   #4
HK Dan

I know two guys running 9 major in Glocks and 2 others running it in STIs. No issues with either platform. 9mm Major is really just +P+, and GLOCKs are rated for that.
Old 05-11-2010, 19:10   #5
9x45

HK Dan, that's because you haven't seen a Glock running major 9mm blow up yet. I have been running Glocks since 94 and I wouldn't recommend it. I would run a .357SIG, which makes major, right off the get go, before a 9mm in a Glock. There is no ramp on a .357SIG in a Glock.
9x45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 21:01   #6
wmspdi

I will be running Major 9 in a KKM or Lone Wolf supported barrel with virgin or once fired only brass... not a Glock stock barrel. As I said in my OP a 1911/2011 platform is not an option due to cost. I would still have to build a Glock unlimited gun for GSSF since the 1911/2011 platform in not permitted in those matches. Based on replies posted here, and on another forum, it looks like I will go with a G17 and a Jager Glock open/unlimited kit. Total cost (with the base gun) should be just under $1000 for a new gun. This gets me into the game (and it is JUST A GAME) for a price I can live with.
wmspdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:48   #7
Duck of Death

*QUOTE*
If you are going to run major 9mm, you better do it with a 1911 platform, and not a Glock.

WHY?? My 2 G34 open guns are accurate, reliable and soft to shoot.

Using a KKM barrel cases show no signs of pressure, case life if excellent and major power factor is made using WSP primers.

I don't want to come off as another "Glock acolyte" but loading mistakes do happen.

I think, therefore I am, I think?

Last edited by Duck of Death; 05-12-2010 at 09:02..
Duck of Death is offline   Reply With Quote