Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-01-2010, 18:52   #1
VZ1600

Lovin' my Mossy 930 SPX

Let me start off by saying, this is one FANTASTIC shotgun!

I decided to go to a local trap range (a state run park forest reserve) that is about 20 mins from my house. It was pretty cold out there (about 25 degrees) but I still had a great time. Even though we are only supposed to shoot clay targets out there, I fired off some buckshot since no one was really out there anyways. I did bring out my thrower and my Condor O/U to do a bit of clay shooting as well.

In my ammo bag I had the following:

60 rounds of Remington Express 00 buckshot
10 rounds of Remington #4 buckshot
10 rounds of Remington #1 buckshot
20 rounds of both Remington and Federal "Low Recoil" 00 buckshot
100 rounds of cheap Walmart bulk pack 7 1/2 target loads
And about 200 rounds of my own light loaded reloads

I started off shooting the O/U with the reloads. About 50 rounds or so. Then I got anxious and broke out the SPX. I found some cardboard boxes near the trash cans there and set them out to about 10 yards. First I fired off the Remington 00 buckshot. ALL 60 rounds went off without a hitch. NICE! Next came the #4 and #1 buckshot. Again, flawless. Oh yeah, I'm quite happy now! Ok, so now the "low recoil" loads. 20 more flawless rounds go off. Music to my ears!

Now it was time to test out the Walmart target loads. I got the thrower loaded up and fired away. The SPX ate ALL 100 rounds. However, I could actually feel the action slowing down near the end of those 100 rounds. Just like a member from shotgunworld.com forums (m24shooter) said it would. So, as advised by m24shooter, a little oil in the ejection port and everything ran smooth again. Thank you sir.

Now onto my light loaded reloads. Remington hulls, 3/4oz of #7.5 shot and 15 grains of Red Dot. Yes, very light. I got through about 70 rounds and just before I set the SPX down to put a bit more oil in the port (felt it slowing down again) she finally had a FTE. Cleared it, a squirt of oil and then finished off the last 30 rounds.

So...........only 1 FTE out of 350 rounds of mixed ammo? And the FTE being on a light reload in very cold temps? (I read colder temps can cause issues with auto-loaders) Oh yeah, did I mention this is a FANTASTIC gun? I think it is safe to say this SPX is cleared as an HD firearm now. The recoil was pretty low as well due to the gas recoil operating system. And the Limb Saver recoil pad came into play as well. 350 rounds and no sign of being sore what so ever.

If you're on the fence about getting a semi-auto shotgun, this is one shotgun to take a serious look at!

Thanks for reading.

BTW, made a recent "mod" to the SPX. I installed a Weaver rail on the forearm for a tac-light. So far, so good. Plenty of rounds thru it without an issue.

Couple pics:

Tactical Shotguns
Tactical Shotguns
Tactical Shotguns
Tactical Shotguns

Proud Father of a United States Marine!

Last edited by VZ1600; 04-08-2010 at 01:50..
VZ1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 19:23   #2
hungryhippo45

nice man. looks like a sweet shotty. i keep looking at getting a shotgun and will have to remember to take a look at these.
hungryhippo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 21:51   #3
mixflip

Welcome to the 930SPX club! Mine is still running flawless on cheap birdshot. Not one malfunction yet.

My co-worker with a Saiga12 hates me since his semi doesnt cycle cheap ammo. I dont know anybody that goes plinking with expensive 00-buck? Including my co-worker. He never shoots his shotgun and I think he is contemplating selling it for a 930SPX?

Last edited by mixflip; 04-01-2010 at 21:52..
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 22:03   #4
dc2integra

nice mossy congrats
dc2integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:30   #5
Narkcop

Does anyone make a short stock for the 930SPX?
Narkcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:10   #6
VZ1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narkcop View Post
No, being the recoil spring tube goes pretty deep into the stock. However, there are a couple of guys over at the shotgunworld forums who have cut their stocks/tubes down a bit to shorten the LOP.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:27   #7
DFin

Mine FTE the Winchester 100 round value packs (7&1/2 shot) and Estate brand shells but it works with everything else.
DFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:51   #8
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

I love mine too!

I was fortunate enough to have a bunch of dough saved and I bought a bunch of awesome guns around the same time... In my humble opinion, the 930 SPX I have and the Benelli Supernova I got right after are perfect running mates / brothers...

930 SPX is a 18.5" autoloading, ghost-ringed badass tactical shotgun... the Benelli I got is 24" all around versatile barrel with a fiber optic bead, steady-gripped pistol grip stock, pump.. .perfect together.. and the 930 SPX is one of my favorite things to shoot and hold in the hands, it feels perfect..

Eats everything, has the grace and finesse of an Italian sports car with the rugged versatility of a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and the reliability of a Cummins turbo diesel..

ScrappyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:40   #9
frankr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narkcop View Post
The only shorter stock I know of is the Pistol Grip stock by Choate $69.95 It’s has a 13" LOP, standard stock is 14". You could check with mixflip to see how he likes his stock. My 930 SPX has a little over 500 shells through it. Of the 500 about 350 are the low brass target loads. Not one malfunction. I lost a screw from my Picatinny Rail, called Mossberg customer service and they sent me a set of four new screws. Two short and two long. I may never need them but great customer service.
http://www.tacticalshotgunner.com/mo...ock-p-245.html

Last edited by frankr; 04-04-2010 at 03:54..
frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 21:51   #10
fnfalguy
Supreme Advisor

The Choate pistol grip stock for the 930 SPX is UGLY! I wish that someone could come up with a more attractive design.
fnfalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:46   #11
VZ1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalguy View Post
The Choate pistol grip stock for the 930 SPX is UGLY! I wish that someone could come up with a more attractive design.
+1

That's one reason why I went with a standard stock. My arms are a bit long anyways so standard stocks never bothered me.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:03   #12
F_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by VZ1600 View Post
+1

That's one reason why I went with a standard stock. My arms are a bit long anyways so standard stocks never bothered me.
I just ordered a 930 Friday and went with the standard stock as a pistol grip seems a bit ungainly with a tang mounted safety.

F_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 22:18   #13
nitestocker

i have one of these one thing id like to no is do they make a green fiber optic front sight for this i hate the red
nitestocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:48   #14
VZ1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestocker View Post
i have one of these one thing id like to no is do they make a green fiber optic front sight for this i hate the red
I am not aware of a green fiber optic front sight, but there is a green tritium night sight available for it.

http://www.precisionsalesintl.com/Pr...duct_page.html

Part number is M1T for $46.65