SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-01-2010, 23:08   #1
desert gator
Glockaholic

HK usp rail

Hey all quick question. I am thinking of buying an HK for my H.D. gun. I went and spent some time holding the P2000 and USP compact today and I am leaning towards the USP. I thought that I had read somewhere that HK had done away with the rail on the USP that only uses a HK made light. However none of the USP's had a universal rail. Am I wrong? Do they still only have the HK rail on them?
desert gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 23:29   #2
ashtxsniper
TX Open Carrier

They still have the weird rail.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum (If you want peace prepare for war) Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight. Psalms 144:1 Proud holder of a Texas open carry license!!!! :tongueout:
ashtxsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 23:33   #3
desert gator
Glockaholic

Dang that is a bummer. Being an HD gun I wanted to put the light of my choice on there. How ugly are those adapter parts?
Old 04-01-2010, 23:48   #4
ashtxsniper
TX Open Carrier

I dont care for mine much because it makes the gun hang about 1/2" lower than I like it. Plus with the adapter on it on it wont fit in any decent holsters only the generic ones.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum (If you want peace prepare for war) Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight. Psalms 144:1 Proud holder of a Texas open carry license!!!! :tongueout:
ashtxsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:00   #5
H&K 4 LIFE
Leonum A Ignis

The newer pistols (P30 and HK45/C) both have standard accessory rails. You might want to look at those.

The GG&G rail mount adapter for the USP is widely considered to be among the best rail adapters for mounting a standard light on the USP. As a home defense gun that likely will not be holstered, it's incompatibility with most holsters is IMO a non-issue.

HK USP Compact .40S&W with GG&G rail adapter and Insight M3.

Heckler & Koch Forum

Also, keep in mind that when the USP was invented there was no such thing as accessory rails on pistols. Therefore, no rail system had yet been established as industry standard. You might say HK lead the way into the concept of hanging crazy crap off of your sidearm.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:47   #6
desert gator
Glockaholic

HK 4 life, thanks for the pic! That's not bad looking. I will just do that. I am sold on the usp, I like the feel and texture of the grip allot more than the P2000. I also like the controls on it
Old 04-02-2010, 16:33   #7
H&K 4 LIFE
Leonum A Ignis

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert gator View Post
HK 4 life, thanks for the pic! That's not bad looking. I will just do that. I am sold on the usp, I like the feel and texture of the grip allot more than the P2000. I also like the controls on it
desert gator, glad to help.

I too am a big fan of the USP.
Old 04-02-2010, 17:08   #8
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Don't pass up the USP for a HD weapon. I love mine.
Heckler & Koch Forum

Old 04-04-2010, 09:04   #9
LSP972

Weird rail???? HK conceived this concept.

FWIW, it isn't that difficult to make a light intended for the 1913 rail to fit a USP rail. To minimize whittling on the USP frame, you have do a fair amount of whittling on the light itself. I used a TLR-1, and with an investment of less than two hours was rewarded with what you see in the photo.

Its just a matter of patience and paying attention. I did a thread on HKPro detailing this work, but I'm having difficulty finding it. If I CAN find it, I'll post a link here.

BTW; those adapter rails are fine... until you want to carry the pistol in a holster. Doing what I did, I can have my cake and eat it too...

"The retard cannot comprehend that everyone else... isn't."
-pangris

Last edited by LSP972; 08-25-2010 at 17:32..
LSP972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:13   #10
sigcalcatrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
Weird rail???? HK conceived this concept.
Exactly! That makes all the others weird, and the HK ones normal. They should have become the industry standard, but didn't due to jealousy of a vastly superior design. Kidding aside, I prefer the looks and functionality of HK's proprietary rail. Looks-wise, they almost look like they don't have a rail the way the design 'flows' into the dust cover, and functionally, I just like them better: only my opinion.
Old 09-18-2012, 14:40   #11
pck50

They still have the wierd rail on them however companies out there such as GG&G, Pro-mag, & NcStar make a adaptable rail that fits very firmly and tight on the USP's to permit mounting of any accessory. they sell the NcStar on ebay for only $13.00 shipped. Just go to ebay and type in there search " H&K USP Rail"

Quote:
Hey all quick question. I am thinking of buying an HK for my H.D. gun. I went and spent some time holding the P2000 and USP compact today and I am leaning towards the USP. I thought that I had read somewhere that HK had done away with the rail on the USP that only uses a HK made light. However none of the USP's had a universal rail. Am I wrong? Do they still only have the HK rail on them?
Old 09-18-2012, 15:27   #12
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Get a HK P30 or HK45.
They have the standardized picatinny rail.
I did (P30 40 LEM V1 Light).
Heckler & Koch Forum

Last edited by barth; 09-21-2012 at 00:20..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 18:01   #13
USMC03Grunt

I always have to shake my heads at the youngsters that complain about the HK rail on the USP. You do realize that without HK starting the rail on the MK23 then on the USP shortly afterwards, you wouldn't know of a rail on a handgun, picatinney, propriety or otherwise! When HK first put rails on it's handguns, there was no industry standard in this regard as it was a first and to quote the show, "Tons of Dumb", it "haz neva been duhn befo" but in this case, that's an accurate statement.
Some of us are still rocking the old UTL, some have upgraded the light to a LED bezel and others have simply bought a Surefire adaptor to use any light they want so really, there's not a need to change it. Those that still complain that they should have changed it I think don't really know the amount of money involved in making a minor change to the molds like that. It's NOT cheap! So combine the level of expense with the UTL or modifications to the original UTL or adaptors, it really doesn't make economic sense to change it on the USP.
USMC03Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 19:27   #14
WhiskeyUnicorn
Paramagician

Get yourself a USP! I picked my first one up yesterday and am going with the GG&G adapter rail as I already own an x300.

Last edited by WhiskeyUnicorn; 09-19-2012 at 19:37..
WhiskeyUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:04   #15
Chuck TX
CLM Number 243
Charter Lifetime Member

The adapters aren't bad. That's what I did with my USPs. It's not as handy as the picatinny rail of the HK45 or P30. Unless you have a custom kydex made you'll generally have to take the adapter off and on when stuff it in a holster. For HD only that's not a big issue.