Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:22   #1
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Now Here's a fun one for you guys.. :)

OK... Yesterday, due to an issue w/ my laptop CPU fan shutting off, I had to upgrade my BIOS. I'm typically opposed to BIOS upgrades unless you have to, and I considered this a "have to" because my laptop was getting very hot as you might imagine. I used my small Windows partition to upgrade the BIOS, and it seemed to go swimmingly. Even better, it fixed the fan issue. The problem is, after booting XP a couple times, I'm blue screening
System is set up like so...

18gigs XP Home
3gig Linux Swap
25 gigs / ext4 (main Linux partition)
114gig NTFS partition.. I use this just for Data.. that way I can reinstall an OS w/o losing data.

Linux boots no problem. All partitions, but the main XP partition, function fine. I can browse the XP partition from my Linux OS, and there is definitely still data there. Tried booting Windows safe mode, blue screen. The screen flashes so fast before it reboots, I can't read what it says. Upon Googling, apparently there's an option you can uncheck to keep that from happening. Naturally, I can't get to Windows to turn it off, and Redmond sets it "On" by default(way to go MS!)

So I backed up all my data to an external drive, because last time I tried to reinstall MS to a single partition, it decided it wanted my whole drive. Booted my OEM XP CD, and it says it can't find a hard drive.. . This makes little sense, since its the CD I used to install XP on that laptop.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:09   #2
Glock-it-to-me
Catching liars

I know how to turn the computer on. After that, I'm lost.
On the other hand, ask me about the advantages of a 6.25" long connecting rod in a 354" small block Chevy racing engine.
Glock-it-to-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:05   #3
Patrick Graham
Footlong Jr.

I'm having a luck only 50% of the time with dual boot linux/windows systems. I've blue screened two Win 7 systems like that.

The simple answer is either Linux or Windows but not both.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:00   #4
thejellster05

Send a message via Yahoo to thejellster05
IGF-you are my linux hero lol-I love reading your answers one linux questions and overall pc help. If You can figure it out........(it's not looking good from this brain trust!) lol
Thanks for all the info and I hope you get it figured out!
thejellster05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:54   #5
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

Yah, that's a twister!

Sounds like a re-install for sure. Repartition and see what it does - Whack the existing partition... Then setup a fresh partition. I'll bet you have GParted or something in your toolbox.

Also - Use Windows to update a BIOS??? Fastest way to trash a system that I know of! Create a bootable USB Flash drive and update from DOS... it's the only consistently *safe* way that I know of to flash a BIOS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Download YOUR copy of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

My Gift to You, AND it's >FREE<
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:12   #6
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre! View Post
Yah, that's a twister!

Sounds like a re-install for sure. Repartition and see what it does - Whack the existing partition... Then setup a fresh partition. I'll bet you have GParted or something in your toolbox.

Also - Use Windows to update a BIOS??? Fastest way to trash a system that I know of! Create a bootable USB Flash drive and update from DOS... it's the only consistently *safe* way that I know of to flash a BIOS.
It was the only way Acer offered to update the BIOS(I know, I didn't like it either)... I didn't see any other way to do it.

Anyways, I figured it out..

After noodling it for a while at work today, I figured there had to be a setting I was missing in the BIOS. Came home today, went through the BIOS, section by section, paying particular attention to the hard drive/boot parameters. Well, I noticed the drive was set as "Sata-R".. Only other option was IDE. I have a SATA drive, but I began to wonder if that -R meant "raid".. So as a test, I switched it to IDE.

Laptop booted into both OS's no problem. FWIW, Yes, I know its a SATA drive, because I upgraded it 2yrs ago from 80gigs to 160. Now why this still allowed my Linux OS to boot w/o issue, I have no idea.

IGF
Old 04-03-2010, 11:23   #7
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Graham View Post
I'm having a luck only 50% of the time with dual boot linux/windows systems. I've blue screened two Win 7 systems like that.

The simple answer is either Linux or Windows but not both.
Dual Booting Linux.. *typically* isn't that bad. Most of the time. Obviously, you have to use caution anytime you are under Linux and wonking w/ your XP partition, because Linux will let you do whatever you want to XP(that's a feature ).

What I've typically found, is if you start using Linux to browse your main "C:" windows partition.. either to access your music/videos/pictures, or whatever... When you start Windows, it will go to a "critical error" blue screen, and automatically start doing a system scan. Unless you've actually done damage, it should pass the scan no problem, and then boot XP. This was actually one reason I created a "Data" Partition....

My experience dual booting 7 and Vista is a bit more limited, but really they shouldn't pose any greater issue. You can use Linux and any Redmond OS, you just have to use a bit of care...

IGF
Old 04-03-2010, 22:27   #8
Linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
System is set up like so...

18gigs XP Home
3gig Linux Swap
25 gigs / ext4 (main Linux partition)
114gig NTFS partition.. I use this just for Data.. that way I can reinstall an OS w/o losing data.IGF
I've had no problems dual booting Windows 7 systems but you have to use a utility within OS7 to create a spare partition. That is shrink c:\ with 7 and then boot into the CD and install Linux on the space you just created.

Partitioning:
phantom:~$ df -hl
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 108G 4.0G 98G 4% /
/dev/sda2 121G 23G 92G 20% /home
/dev/sda3 4.03G /swap

It's not a dual boot system but I always create a /home on all my systems. Then if I want to change distros or upgrade I just reformat /dev/sda1 aka /. Everything I want to save is in my home account.
This is an older system. I would no longer make the / partition so big but it's not worth the trouble to wipe the whole disk.
When doing a fresh install I just select to create a /home/me. True I already have a /home/me but Ubuntu just carries on and uses the current home account. Fedora does give an error: "Warning /home/me already exists. Do you want to use this account or create a new account".

Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:10   #9
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux3 View Post
I've had no problems dual booting Windows 7 systems but you have to use a utility within OS7 to create a spare partition. That is shrink c:\ with 7 and then boot into the CD and install Linux on the space you just created.

Partitioning:
phantom:~$ df -hl
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 108G 4.0G 98G 4% /
/dev/sda2 121G 23G 92G 20% /home
/dev/sda3 4.03G /swap

It's not a dual boot system but I always create a /home on all my systems. Then if I want to change distros or upgrade I just reformat /dev/sda1 aka /. Everything I want to save is in my home account.
This is an older system. I would no longer make the / partition so big but it's not worth the trouble to wipe the whole disk.
When doing a fresh install I just select to create a /home/me. True I already have a /home/me but Ubuntu just carries on and uses the current home account. Fedora does give an error: "Warning /home/me already exists. Do you want to use this account or create a new account".
I've considered putting /home on a separate partition, but never bothered. I've considered it, but never bothered. As for saving my program settings, I just keep a long word file on my data partition. It pretty much details any custom settings I set up on any programs I use. Nowdays, I usually don't even have to open it, I can just do it from memory, but its there if I ever need it.

Any idea what that "Sata-R" means? I've not really had time to look into why it caused this problem, I just assumed that it probably meant "raid". I figure the BIOS is probably for several different machines, not just mine. Even more entertaining, is the fact that choose "IDE" work, because I know beyond doubt that my drive is SATA.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:11   #10
Linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Any idea what that "Sata-R" means? I've not really had time to look into why it caused this problem, I just assumed that it probably meant "raid". I figure the BIOS is probably for several different machines, not just mine. Even more entertaining, is the fact that choose "IDE" work, because I know beyond doubt that my drive is SATA.
If it's an Asus MB, at least on my Asus it means RAID.

I'm not surprised it would work but by using IDE rather than SATA you are disabling AHCI right?
Advanced Host Controller Interface aka Command Line Queuing and such.

Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote