SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-03-2010, 21:03   #1
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Shape of A5 Powder?

I bought a pound of A5 powder to experiment with some medium velocity loads for the NOS 135 gr JHP. I like working with A7 and A9 and thought that A5 may be produce loads in the 1350 fps range with reasonable economy vs A7; AND have the fine metering characteristics of 7 and 9.

I expected the powder to be all spherical ball shaped powder like A7 and A9. I was surprised to see that it looks to be a blend of ball and small flake. Is that normal?

The reason I ask is 1) this powder is made overseas and 2) the component manufacturers have been working overtime to keep up with demand and to replenish stocks. I have worried, in general, about quality control standards when component manufacturers have been working at full speed +. I want to make sure that there is not some type of production mix up before I start working up some loads.

Is the powder shape that I'm seeing normal?

Last edited by Taterhead; 04-04-2010 at 20:36..
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:46   #2
Peter M. Eick

Send a message via ICQ to Peter M. Eick
My aa5 off the shelf is a fine ball powder. No flakes.

Contact AA before loading that stuff. it may be corrupted.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:29   #3
steve4102

Do not use this powder!!! Call Johan at AA and let him know what you have found. Go here and read this as well.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402712
steve4102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 13:05   #4
JTknives

This happened to me as well. I was reloading yesterday and ran out of my AA#7 and cracked open a new bottle i got a few week ago and it looked diffrent. just like you said small balls with shiny flat balls, the powder had a glitter look to it and same with the new bottle of AA#9 i got at the same time. i shot some of it yesterday and did not notice a difference. but now that i think about it maybe i should not have. here is som picture of MY AA#7 and AA#9. its weird because i was reloading with a friend and he got a new bottle from a different store and his AA#7 looks like how it should, all of it is round balls.

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

Last edited by JTknives; 04-04-2010 at 14:03..
JTknives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 20:14   #5
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTknives View Post
This happened to me as well. I was reloading yesterday and ran out of my AA#7 and cracked open a new bottle i got a few week ago and it looked diffrent. just like you said small balls with shiny flat balls, the powder had a glitter look to it and same with the new bottle of AA#9 i got at the same time. i shot some of it yesterday and did not notice a difference. but now that i think about it maybe i should not have. here is som picture of MY AA#7 and AA#9. its weird because i was reloading with a friend and he got a new bottle from a different store and his AA#7 looks like how it should, all of it is round balls.

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum
Wow. Those look NOTHING like the A9 & A7 powders that I've used.
Old 04-04-2010, 20:35   #6
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Thanks all for the replies, and thanks steve4102 for the link to the firingline discussion. I wonder if there is a larger production problem at hand?

I'm going to contact Western Powders on Monday to see what they say.
Old 04-05-2010, 00:03   #7
JTknives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
Thanks all for the replies, and thanks steve4102 for the link to the firingline discussion. I wonder if there is a larger production problem at hand?

I'm going to contact Western Powders on Monday to see what they say.
Ya i need to call them as well. I shot 50 round of it on sat and everything seamed OK but now I'm worried. i was working up so loads. i was doing 180gr plated boolits with AA#9 and going from 12gr to 14.25 gr. i did not see any pressure signs but now like i said I'm worried.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:30   #8
JTknives

I just got off the phone with western and he told me that yes my powder is OK. its just a different manufacture.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:21   #9
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Western has referred me to one of their "ballisticians" from whom I'm supposed to hear back from yesterday.

Yet additional evidence of the need to re-work up loads when cracking open a new can of powder.
Old 04-27-2010, 21:59   #10
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Update:

The tech finally got back to me. He looked at the photo I sent and the lot number. Seems that everything is fine.
Old 05-02-2010, 16:10   #11
gator378
Gator378

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTknives View Post

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum
+1
I just ckecked my 8 lbs of AA#5. Black little balls with shiney silver balls or flakes in it. I have been using it and no problems yet. I guess I will also check my 8 lbs of AA#9