Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-04-2010, 15:51   #1
TNTnerve

Double-barrel shotgun is tough to open

When I go to break my side-by-side double barrel down, it is far from smoth and seems like everything is too tight. How do I remedy this? Do I need to sand something down a bit?

Thanks in advance..
TNTnerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 16:20   #2
eisman
CLM Number 127
ARGH!

There's so much wrong with this it's hard to tell where to start...

Breaking down a shotgun usually refers to taking it apart into the subassemblies for cleaning or maintenance. Is this what you're attempting to do?

Give us an idea as to what type of shotgun you have. Name brand, guage, barrel length, SxS or O/U; all of those could affect the answer.

Last edited by eisman; 04-04-2010 at 16:20..
eisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 17:45   #3
TNTnerve

More information might be helpful, I agree..

It's a Baikal IZH-43 side by side 12 gauge with a 20" barrel. I'm refering to when I try to open the shotgun to extract or insert shells. I've read a bit where that is known 'problem' with this particular gun, but I haven't read any specific ways to fix it.

Does that help better articulate what I'm really asking?
Old 04-05-2010, 19:32   #4
eisman
CLM Number 127
ARGH!

Yes.

The main reasons these are difficult to open are:

1. It's new and needs some breaking in. This is normal with MOST SxS shotguns, but is worse on those that have lower QC.

2. The design of these guns is not the best. They're fairly strong and simple, but that translates into a bit rougher to work.

3. The quality of the work is only fair. Inside they're pretty rough. Really good shotguns are prettier on the inside than on the outside, that makes them smoother.

There's nothing you can "sand" to make it smoother. There are some things you can do to improve what you have.

1. You can pay someone who really know what they're doing to open the gun up and fix the internal parts. But you'll have a hard time finding a good shotgun guy who'll take on the work. They usually charge $80+/hr and you're talking 4-5 hours of work. As you can see that adds to the cost of the gun pretty quick.

2. You can use some really good lube. You may even take the stock off and put some inside the action. Teflons and molys are good, graphite in some cases, oils not greases. You can use grease on the main bearing surface for the barrels and forearm. (That big round pin they rotate around.) You could also use a little very fine clover compound on these surfaces and work them to polish them up. But if you do that be careful to do it sparingly, and MAKE SURE you clean it all off. Wearing this down too much will be very expensive to repair. (It makes the barrels move forward from the breach face and makes the gun unsafe.)

3. You can use the gun. The more you do this, with cleaning and relubing every time you do, the quicker the gun will smooth out the bearing surfaces.

Hope that helps...
eisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 19:36   #5
TNTnerve

That answers my question extremely well, thank you!! It's a pretty cheap gun that my dad gave to me, so I really can't see putting any money into it. I'll lube it up properly and start putting some more rounds through it.

Thank you very much for the info!!
Old 04-07-2010, 20:13   #6
mcole

mine was the same way. it was really tight and had really strong springs. once i got 50 to 75 rounds thru it, started to loosen up just fine. works like it should now. keep it wel lubricated during this period. i used clp and gunslick on it. mcole

Last edited by mcole; 04-07-2010 at 20:15..
mcole is offline   Reply With Quote