Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-06-2010, 13:35   #1
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

Ever get to deal with spectacular weather?

For some reason, it has become sort of the responsibility of law enforcement in the midwest to deal with nasty weather from time to time as the need arises. We often get paged (like yesterday) to go out and not really watch, the weather, but more or less deal with it's aftermath.

That being said, anyone here got an good stories or cool pictures to share? Bad weather season is just getting started in my part of the world. We narrowly avoided a tornado-warned storm last evening.
Kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 14:35   #2
CAcop

Dude I work in what is described as a Mediterranean climate. The weather is usually somewhere between 40 and 80 all year round. It rains from time to time between Nov to May. Meterolgically speaking we are dull and boring.

I have to go to Hawaii to find better weather.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT

Last edited by CAcop; 04-06-2010 at 14:36..
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 15:30   #3
CanIhaveGasCash

It snowed mud last night... now my truck is really dirty.
CanIhaveGasCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 15:33   #4
PTRJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadetklapp View Post
For some reason, it has become sort of the responsibility of law enforcement in the midwest to deal with nasty weather from time to time as the need arises. We often get paged (like yesterday) to go out and not really watch, the weather, but more or less deal with it's aftermath.

That being said, anyone here got an good stories or cool pictures to share? Bad weather season is just getting started in my part of the world. We narrowly avoided a tornado-warned storm last evening.

Where at in Indiana? I lived in Porter County (NWI), and was a firefighter there as well as in Lake County, yeah we would get toned out for Tornado watch and alerts.
PTRJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 15:38   #5
PTRJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
Dude I work in what is described as a Mediterranean climate. The weather is usually somewhere between 40 and 80 all year round. It rains from time to time between Nov to May. Meterolgically speaking we are dull and boring.

One thing I love about Cali, different areas of the state, even if 50 miles apart the weather changes drastically. I live in Riverside County, desert area, but right now it can be 70 day, and 30 night. I can drive 50 miles to the beach and it will be 60 day and 50 night. Or 50 miles the other way to the mountains and it will be 40 day and 20 nights. And that will all be in the same exact day.

Where I live it is gets between 25 lows in winter to 115 in summer.
PTRJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 15:49   #6
Bruce M

Would something like say Hurricane Andrew count? I remember one guy coming back with only three doors - he had opened the driver's door to his crusier when it was facing the wrong way. I was hunkered down during the worst of the actual storm. I also remember working twelve hour days from the storm until about Thanksgiving. Eventually in October we started getting a day off every week. That felt awfully good.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 17:44   #7
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Would something like say Hurricane Andrew count? I remember one guy coming back with only three doors - he had opened the driver's door to his crusier when it was facing the wrong way. I was hunkered down during the worst of the actual storm. I also remember working twelve hour days from the storm until about Thanksgiving. Eventually in October we started getting a day off every week. That felt awfully good.
Oh absolutely. You guys on the gulf have it bad since you get DAYS of the stuff, and we usually get six hours or so of bad weather
Old 04-06-2010, 18:12   #8
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

I've been through a few blizzards here in CO. I also worked police/security/babysitter during Katrina.
Old 04-06-2010, 18:45   #9
JBaird22

I was supposed to work this last Sunday but was hunkered down at my in-laws just outside of cell phone range.

I asked my FTO when I first came to Missouri what we do when we are working during his tornado. His response, "I don't know." Its number 32 why I want to get out of here.

Former Certified Super Glock fixer
JBaird22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 23:46   #10
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Watched a tornado pass within less than a mile of where I was and within a couple hundred yards of where I had been a minute or so before in 2006. Our town was spared, but the city that surrounds us was not. Spent the night helping them cover the looting calls. It brought EVERYONE out to "look." Took quite a while to get things back to normal.

Summer of 2008 our county had major flooding. Once again, our town was spared, which meant that we got the majority of the traffic in to the area.

We've also seen significant ice storms that have resulted in major power outages and road closures, but thoe two times that that has happened things have been back to normal pretty quickly.

We're looking at possible flooding again this summer.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 00:01   #11
ateamer
NRA4EVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post

Yep. Four years ago, it snowed a couple inches here (even on the beach) and there was mayhem. Crashes everywhere. The smart patrol officers, those who didn't have to respond to calls that required immediate presence, pulled over and parked with everyone else. No snow tires, no chains, no traction. I had to park my truck at the top of our street and walk a the last three hundred yards. Downhill all the way, just snow and slush, street tires on the truck and two wheel drive only, would've just wrecked our brand-new garage door.

Even thunderstorms are rare here - we get one or two a year at the most. Anything more than that takes some unusual weather patterns for this area.

September and October have some of the best weather of the year. Usually hot days, crystal clear, very little of the fog/overcast that creeps in during the night and stays until noon, and no tourists.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:23   #12
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I work pretty far inland and live closer to the beach areas so the temperature between where I work and where I live can differ by 10-15F. Also, there is one hill that separates the different counties and one side can be sunny while the other side is rainy and vice versa.

I've worked a storm that cut all power to the city and we had to man every major intersection to make sure we don't have accidents everywhere. It was cold and the streets were full of stuff blown everywhere.

Had to work the Grand Prix fires. Ash was falling nonstop and we had to wear those masks. All the units were covered in ash and the vents were shut off because all it did was blow ash all over the interior. At night, the surrounding mountains were lit up in orange rings around us. Ambers falling around lit a few residences too and had to assist the FD with those calls.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:34   #13
GasTiresOil

IDK if any of you have seen in the news the flooding in the northeast recently. I got called in during the storm and got set up on a traffic post in the driving rain. I watched as the little stream turned into a raging river and washed a road out right in front of me.

It was a total mess all over. several bridges were completely washed away, roads were under several feet of water. Its worse in some other parts too. Its mostly back to normal where I am, several towns over still have bridge closures, rte 1 is closed. 95 was closed until a few days ago.
GasTiresOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:08   #14
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
The NWS came in and taught a weather spotter class for all our dispatchers and officers and the FD where I used to work in the Chicago burbs. We had a weather radio in dispatch and when it went off we had a few weather bug officers who would drive out to the top of the parking garage at the mall to see where the storm was. I set off the tornado sirens at least a few times while working there.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:34   #15
JJS
RIP Col.Moroney

Worked the '97 Jarrell tornado in the recovery of bodies (body parts).Have some pics somewhere in the attic of a house along with its foundation plus about 7" of earth ripped outta the ground.Home was almost intact and a couple hundred yards down the road.
JJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:48   #16
SPDSNYPR
Zippy's Friend.

I live in Oklahoma, and have had to babysit areas that were wiped off the map from Tornados. Oddly enough, the biggest problem we had was people trying to get into the area to take pictures. Some traveled across the country to get pics - but we told them to go away. They were furious. I got over their anger almost immediately.

Always heavy storms - always a tornado warning - but really most tornados don't hit populated areas and do a lot of damage. Now I jinxed myself.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:52   #17
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

I worked one night when we got hit by a foul supercell. This was a couple years ago when I worked part time for that small town/lake/resort nearby. We rolled around in a huge 2000 Expedition with an even huger lightbar on top. I was running signal 10 (code) to the lake and campground to get people under cover. The power was out and the tornado siren was not working (they wouldn't have heard it anyway). I remember crossing the causeway over the lake to the campground and seeing three foot waves crashing across the pavement. I was pretty sure I was going to get rolled into the water. I was doing about 35 mph with the siren on and couldn't even hear it over the rain and wind pounding my truck.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:07   #18
JTipper.45

I still think that Louisiana is the weather mecca of the US. I've worked through hurricanes Rita, Gustav, Ike and a few minor ones I can't even remember their names.If working through them isn't bad enough you have to keep track of evacuees coming through from ALL over, then having to work the shelters is real fun. Then we are at the southern most tip of Tornado Alley so we get lots of small F1's. These are just enough to cover the roads in debris and trees to make getting anywhere just about impossible. Then you have the situation where souther air from the Gulf comes up and hits the dry air from the plains and we get super storms with what seems like a foot of rainfall at a time. Last summer we hit a record 117 degrees with 100% humidity (that is just miserable). Top that this winter with 4 snowfalls (unheard of in this area). So I have become a weather fanatic with no less than 10 weather tracking websites on my laptop. I'll look for a few pics tonight.
Old 04-08-2010, 13:45   #19
Patchman
Florist

We have some LEOs who feel that during inclement weather, it's OK for those who live furthest away to take off because those who live closer by can go into work.

Other than that gripe, I think it is one of LE's (along with fire dept, National Guards & FEMA) jobs to be available to assist afterwards. Learned early on that when the forecast is for serious "Oh ****" weather, accept the fact that no, you can't be home with the wife and kids.

All that more important for them to be able survive on their own. In every way imaginable.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 04-08-2010 at 13:48..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 15:34   #20
AngryBassets
Jagenden Übel

I worked midnites this past winter during three 24" snowfalls.

We get some nasty thunderstorms once or twice a week in the summer. Once or twice a summer, we get a real doozy with trees down/power (and traffic signal) outages.

Summer 08 I posted this:

Cop Talk
With 40000% humidity.

It hit 90* yesterday. The normal high is in the mid 60's.

`Yeah..NJ is a paradise.

Last edited by AngryBassets; 04-08-2010 at 15:37..
AngryBassets is offline   Reply With Quote