SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-06-2010, 16:40   #1
Drjones

Send a message via AIM to Drjones

iPad - HOLY COW!

Ok guys, I just played with an iPad at Best Buy.

I WANT ONE SO FRIGGIN' BADLY RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!

My two biggest reservations with the device were:

1) Performance - hardware is never as fast as it appears to be in commercials, presentations, etc.

2) Data entry - how the heck will you type on this thing without lugging around an external keyboard??

Well, a few minutes of hands-on time laid both those to rest. The thing is BLAZING fast AND I can type on it with two hands just about as easily and accurately as a physical keyboard - in landscape mode, of course.

Heck, even using my two index fingers to "hunt & peck" isn't too slow.....

Anyway, for email and reading just about anything on the internet, I'm just about sold....prob gonna wait for the 3G version, though, as waiting for a wifi hotspot won't work for me.

Apple really outdid themselves here....
Old 04-06-2010, 17:41   #2
glock19_fan
... --- ...

Glad you like it. I played with one for an hour, thought it was over-priced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
:-)

Read
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
!!!
glock19_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 17:54   #3
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

My 13 year old put it this way; "It's just a large iPod touch that is WAY overpriced."

Out of the mouths of babes.................
Old 04-06-2010, 17:58   #4
Catalina

Try to resist being the early adopter for this wonderful product! In 6 months they'll double the storage, and processor speed, and lower the price.

Trust me as the owner of a iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS
Old 04-06-2010, 18:06   #5
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

The above is pretty much what I was thinking.

This is only the first wave of a new type of personal portable computing.
Old 04-06-2010, 18:17   #6
NMGlocker
BOOM headshot

No multi-tasking is the deal breaker.
I kind of like listening to music, surfing the 'net and working on documents at the same time.
Old 04-06-2010, 18:34   #7
JohnBT
NRA Patron

No multi-tasking and it won't fit in a shirt pocket? I'll wait on the new, improved 3G, 4G, someG micro mini version.

You might as well ask me to carry a brick around all day. Ain't happening.

JT
JohnBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 23:22   #8
Drjones

You guys ought to go try one and see for yourself.

Trust me, I was pleeeeeenty skeptical too....but then I saw it & it was love at first sight! It's just so damned COOL and FUN to use.
Old 04-07-2010, 00:00   #9
lanternlad
Mythmatician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
Try to resist being the early adopter for this wonderful product! In 6 months they'll double the storage, and processor speed, and lower the price.
Not on an Apple, they won't. In six months they'll proclaim it was the best thing ever invented, deny any problems ever existed (heat, wifi issues), and tout it out in several new colors. The price won't drop for years yet. Apple has some of the lowest processor speeds in the industry, and is slow to change them. If people complain about their stuff not working right, they label them as haters and refuse to listen. For the price you pay for Apple stuff, you could get two of the same from anywhere else. I've owned several Apples, in fact I'm typing this on a MacBook Pro right now. Apple just ain't all that.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:27   #10
MavsX
The Dude Abides

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1206151
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:53   #11
Toyman

I'm not a previous iPhone or iPod user, but I bought an iPad. I mainly got it to check it out and see if it would work for a good organizer for the GF. (calendar, email, view PDF's).

I do have a Palm Pre with WebOS. I think the HP Slate will be a much better device, but here's my initial thoughts on the iPad:

1. It is extremely responsive and seems really fast.

2. The screen does look really nice.

3. The audio output (speaker) is extremely nice. I'm listening to podcasts and you would never guess the sound is coming out of something so thin.

4. It's over-priced. For this price it should have come with the word processor app and a few others. It doesn't have many built in apps.

5. The iPhone/iPad OS is very limited in what it can do, and how you can customize it.

6. The basic Apple apps will multi-task, for example, you can listen to music (iPod app) while surfing the web. However, it's junk compared to how WebOS works.

Basically, it's going to be a great device for specific uses. It's not a laptop replacement.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 14:09   #12
glock19_fan
... --- ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
I'm not a previous iPhone or iPod user, but I bought an iPad. I mainly got it to check it out and see if it would work for a good organizer for the GF. (calendar, email, view PDF's).

I do have a Palm Pre with WebOS. I think the HP Slate will be a much better device, but here's my initial thoughts on the iPad:

1. It is extremely responsive and seems really fast.

2. The screen does look really nice.

3. The audio output (speaker) is extremely nice. I'm listening to podcasts and you would never guess the sound is coming out of something so thin.

4. It's over-priced. For this price it should have come with the word processor app and a few others. It doesn't have many built in apps.

5. The iPhone/iPad OS is very limited in what it can do, and how you can customize it.

6. The basic Apple apps will multi-task, for example, you can listen to music (iPod app) while surfing the web. However, it's junk compared to how WebOS works.

Basically, it's going to be a great device for specific uses. It's not a laptop replacement.
Great summary. Exactly what I think.

This is an over-priced toy at this stage.

It is not meant as a replacement for anything. Which means if you've got the money to splurge, go ahead. If you don't, spend your money on a laptop, or iPhone or iPod Touch instead, you'll get more value for your money.

:-)

Read
!!!
glock19_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 14:24   #13
hatidua

I've been an Apple user, exclusively, since my first computer (in 1982), and still don't have an iPhone. I highly doubt playing with an iPad will have me reaching for my wallet, regardless of price.
hatidua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 14:25   #14
J_Rico

HP is going to release their on tablet called the Slate. It will run Windows 7.

Sort of interested, but the announced price is too high.

http://www.devicemag.com/2010/04/06/...e-date-leaked/
Old 04-07-2010, 16:17   #15
JMag

The iPad, while not perfect (but close for its purposes), it has been said will be responsible for Microsoft/Windows taking a backseat to Apple in less than five (5) years if they don't respond and respond well/quickly.

We shall see. The iPad is an amazing device. I almost bought one today, but decided to wait as it likely to be enhance soon as I hear it.
JMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 16:44   #16
J_Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMag View Post
The iPad, while not perfect (but close for its purposes), it has been said will be responsible for Microsoft/Windows taking a backseat to Apple in less than five (5) years if they don't respond and respond well/quickly.

We shall see. The iPad is an amazing device. I almost bought one today, but decided to wait as it likely to be enhance soon as I hear it.
Do you have a link to an article that suggests this? Or did you hear this from the guy at the Apple store?

While anything is possible, I am pretty skeptical.

For that matter HP has as product in the pipeline.
Old 04-07-2010, 18:27   #17
srhoades

3G is almost standard now, how could they not include it?
srhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 20:45   #18
Drjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMag View Post

Total BS. People are reluctant to upgrade from XP to 7 because of the hassle and problems they know they will encounter, let alone switch to an entirely different interface (Apple/Mac) that's not compatible with anything else. I've seen MS PowerPoint presentations created on Windows machines that do not display properly on Macs also running MS PowerPoint.

True that MS is probably partly to blame for that, but that's the way it is & the way it will stay for a good long while.

Windows is far too entrenched in the business and personal PC world to be overtaken anywhere near that quickly. 15 years, MAYBE. 5? Whoever told you that was on drugs.

Last edited by Drjones; 04-07-2010 at 20:47..
Drjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 20:48   #19
Drjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhoades View Post
3G is almost standard now, how could they not include it?

To keep the price down.
Old 04-07-2010, 20:52   #20
StuntPilot

Tips and tricks...

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14529...and-tutorials/
StuntPilot is offline   Reply With Quote