Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-14-2010, 16:30   #1
BillR

Connector causing double fires?

My G22 has developed a case of double firing. (since I did a trigger polish!) I know...spare me the ridicule.
Anyway, when I swapped frames with my G35, the problem went away. Today I installed a new trigger group and firing pin on the G22, and still had the issue. I pressed the trigger to the rear and the striker fired. As I let the trigger up slowly toward the reset, it "fired" again instead of resetting the trigger.
Just for grins, I swapped out the Ghost connector for a Glock 3.5# connector, and the issue is gone.
How can a connector cause a double fire? Glock gurus, please explain this to me...
Old 04-14-2010, 16:39   #2
DannyR

You have an engagement problem between the lug on the firing pin and the trigger bar. Use an orange half cover plate to check for proper engagement. Cure is replacing the trigger bar, firing pin or both, depending on your "polish" job.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 17:09   #3
BillR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
You have an engagement problem between the lug on the firing pin and the trigger bar. Use an orange half cover plate to check for proper engagement. Cure is replacing the trigger bar, firing pin or both, depending on your "polish" job.
That's what I thought also. I replaced BOTH, and still had the problem until I swapped out the connector.
Doesn't make sense to me either...
Edit...I just tried the orange plate. The trigger bar/firing pin engagement is definitely stronger with the Glock connector installed.
Why??

Last edited by BillR; 04-14-2010 at 17:36..
BillR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 19:01   #4
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Send a message via Yahoo to Glockrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR View Post
That's what I thought also. I replaced BOTH, and still had the problem until I swapped out the connector.
Doesn't make sense to me either...
Edit...I just tried the orange plate. The trigger bar/firing pin engagement is definitely stronger with the Glock connector installed.
Why??
Because of the right angle bend in the connector where the trigger bar comes in contact with it.
Old 04-14-2010, 20:01   #5
JohnKSa

A connector can cause a double fire by forcing the trigger bar down during the reset process.

That could happen if the edge of the trigger bar ramp or the edge of the connector ramp lip is rounded.

Normally the two edges are square so the two parts can't snap back into engagement until they are in proper relation to each other. i.e. There is no up or down force applied to the trigger bar during this process.

But if the edges are rounded that can create a camming effect that can allow the spring force of the connector to force the two parts back into engagement too soon in the reset process. That could force the trigger bar down enough that it comes out of engagement with the firing pin and fires the gun.

In my opinion that would be unlikely to happen unless there wasn't much sear engagement to begin with.
JohnKSa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 20:14   #6
BillR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
A connector can cause a double fire by forcing the trigger bar down during the reset process.

That could happen if the edge of the trigger bar ramp or the edge of the connector ramp lip is rounded.

Normally the two edges are square so the two parts can't snap back into engagement until they are in proper relation to each other. i.e. There is no up or down force applied to the trigger bar during this process.

But if the edges are rounded that can create a camming effect that can allow the spring force of the connector to force the two parts back into engagement too soon in the reset process. That could force the trigger bar down enough that it comes out of engagement with the firing pin and fires the gun.

In my opinion that would be unlikely to happen unless there wasn't much sear engagement to begin with.

I think I understand now...
Thanks!!
Old 04-23-2010, 18:21   #7
JBaird22

If you want factory level performance, use factory level parts. Few people know this because they don't want to believe it but the best trigger job for a Glock is to apply an appropriate amount of oil between the connector and trigger bar and pull the trigger, a lot. Polishing where the connector meets the striker lug does nothing but decrease the amount of mating surface available to prevent lock up between the two parts. This condition creates the opportunity for full auto operation. Not desirable in a semi auto pistol.

Former Certified Super Glock fixer
JBaird22 is offline   Reply With Quote