SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-07-2010, 21:19   #1
Esh

How does this brass look?

Hello,

I've only been reloading ammo for my pistol for a little while. Been loading for my rifle for a few years now. Had a few questions...

First, with my hotter loads, I'm getting some knicks in the brass (ejector?) Are these an issue when reloading and is their anyway to prevent them? (Heavier recoil spring?) Closeup in first picture.

Secondly, how does this brass look? I worked up to a max load per the book with 155gr XTP's, 11.5gr of 800x and CCI 300's. I don't have a large bulge like some pictures I've seen, just a pretty evenly expanded case.

Last photo is of the primers. The one looks like it has a hole, it's just the lighting.

Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
10mm Reloading Forum - Click for larger version   10mm Reloading Forum - Click for larger version   10mm Reloading Forum - Click for larger version  
Esh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 21:35   #2
G20gunner

Welcome to GT. The case expansion is why I switched to an aftermarket KKM barrel. The expansion isn't dangerous, it's just that it'll shorten case life considerably when you have to keep swaging it down during the resizing process. But I do still get some digs in the case head like the ones shown. It does tend to happen more at the top end loads. I've been loading some Nosler 150gr. JHPs with 12.0grs. of 800-X. What a load. As far as the digs, I just go through the brass, and the rims with the digs I file smooth for reliable feeding. It's inevitiable that the hotter the load is, the shorter the case life will be. But my KKM barrel prevents the case bulge nicely.

G20gunner

Last edited by G20gunner; 04-07-2010 at 21:35..
G20gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:27   #3
ScEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by G20gunner View Post
Welcome to GT. The case expansion is why I switched to an aftermarket KKM barrel. The expansion isn't dangerous, it's just that it'll shorten case life considerably when you have to keep swaging it down during the resizing process. But I do still get some digs in the case head like the ones shown. It does tend to happen more at the top end loads. I've been loading some Nosler 150gr. JHPs with 12.0grs. of 800-X. What a load. As far as the digs, I just go through the brass, and the rims with the digs I file smooth for reliable feeding. It's inevitiable that the hotter the load is, the shorter the case life will be. But my KKM barrel prevents the case bulge nicely.

G20gunner
May want to mention that 12.0 grains of 800x with a 150g JHP is ~3.0grains over max. Like G20gunner, thats where I stopped too but we both are using after-market barrels (and think we know what were doing) lol.
ScEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:32   #4
alwaysshootin

Your brass looks great, first off. As far as changing to a heavier spring, how far are your brass ejecting? If they are going over 10 feet, I'd go with a heavier spring, if under 10 ft, leave it where it is.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:09   #5
G20gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScEd View Post
May want to mention that 12.0 grains of 800x with a 150g JHP is ~3.0grains over max. Like G20gunner, thats where I stopped too but we both are using after-market barrels (and think we know what were doing) lol.
Hi ScEd. You know, I didn't even reference Hodgdon's site when I developed my load. I used Modern Reloading by LEE. Lee has 11.1 to 11.6grs of 800-X for a 155gr. jacketed bullet. That's why I settled on 12.0grs. max for the slightly lighter 150gr. Nosler bullet. This is the second time I've found LEE going over the maufacturer's recommended loads. I was loading with AA#2 powder for the 45acp using Hornady's 200gr. HP/XTP bullet. Accurate Arms recommends 5.1 to 5.8grs with a 200gr. jacketed bullet. LEE has 6.0 to 6.5grs. of AA#2 with a 200gr. jacketed bullet.
I guess this is a good warning to go to the original powder manufacturer to find their load data. I know it's the first thing I'll do now. And have plenty of reloading manuals to compare.
Safe shooting everyone!!!!!

G20gunner
G20gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 20:54   #6
Taterhead
Counting Beans

To the OP:

The brass and primers look good, and I wouldn't stress too much about the dings. Changing to a heavier recoil spring did not seem to do much for ejector nicks from my G20.

When working up to max loads, I use new brass of the same make. I take case expansion measurements at each level. Over time, I have compiled a pretty good catalogue of case expansion measurements that provides good information about this vague notion of pressures. Of course visual inspections are part of the routine, but expansion data has been my most useful tool.

I mentioned using brass of the same make in order to eliminate, as much as possible, variations due to metallurgy. In my experience, a nickle plated Remington case will expand differently than, say, Starline brass.

IMR also used to list 11.6 gr as a max load for 800X under a 155 gr REM JHP. That is no longer a published load. They have replaced it with 9.8 gr max under a 155 gr XTP.

Last edited by Taterhead; 04-10-2010 at 15:43.. Reason: typos
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 23:00   #7
Esh

Thanks everyone! Good info tater...I have a friend picking up some new brass from cabelas for me this weekend.

I noticed that hodgon published a lower max load...is this a cover their a** move or was the original load a misprint?
Esh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 15:37   #8
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esh View Post
Thanks everyone! Good info tater...I have a friend picking up some new brass from cabelas for me this weekend.

I noticed that hodgon published a lower max load...is this a cover their a** move or was the original load a misprint?
I spoke to a tech at Hodgdon last year about some of the old IMR loads. He said that they had been re-testing the IMR powders after they combined businesses. He did not say that the were aware of any problems, per se, with the old data. They were just not printing data that they had not tested themselves.

The lower max charge for the XTP vs. Rem JHP may be for two reasons. First, the XTPs tend to generate higher pressures than other bullets, and 2) I think the max pressure listed was only around 30k psi. There may be a bit of wiggle room. I, personally, like to keep a bit of wiggle room.

Last edited by Taterhead; 04-10-2010 at 15:41..
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote