Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:41   #1
Snapper2

case pressures

I've worked up a accurate and safe load in 400 corbon using accurate arms data. Using formed 45super brass and #9 with cci 350 primers. I want to use this load in starline 400 corbon brass with fiocchi small rifle primers. I've read where #9 needs a mag primer for a complete burn, but how should this standard small rifle primer effect pressure compared to the 350 primers? I do realize 400corbon brass(45auto+p) has a little less case capacity than standard 45 brass.
Snapper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 14:01   #2
fredj338

Small rifle rpimers bunr pretty hot, hotter than most mag pistol primers. Work the load up, hoepfully using a chronograph. I load for several wildcats & w/o a chronograph, you are really flying blind.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 15:37   #3
Snapper2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Small rifle rpimers bunr pretty hot, hotter than most mag pistol primers. Work the load up, hoepfully using a chronograph. I load for several wildcats & w/o a chronograph, you are really flying blind.
Amen to that. Corbon claims that swapping a srp for a spp wont hurt,they do recommend rem7.5 in small rifle. Their data using 155xtp,#7,and wsp is 12.6-14.(I dont have spp so I have not gone this high.) Accurate Arms data using formed 45 brass with the same bullet,powder,and 350 primers is 11.1-12.3. I've had no problems working up a this load with #7 and a small rifle primer and stopping at 12gr. While Corbon has no data with #9, accurate arms does, and I'm afraid changing primers with #9 might set off a cannon.
Snapper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 17:42   #4
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper2 View Post
Amen to that. Corbon claims that swapping a srp for a spp wont hurt,they do recommend rem7.5 in small rifle. Their data using 155xtp,#7,and wsp is 12.6-14.(I dont have spp so I have not gone this high.) Accurate Arms data using formed 45 brass with the same bullet,powder,and 350 primers is 11.1-12.3. I've had no problems working up a this load with #7 and a small rifle primer and stopping at 12gr. While Corbon has no data with #9, accurate arms does, and I'm afraid changing primers with #9 might set off a cannon.
Well, back of & work up carefully. My own test w/ the 357sig show 75fps-90fps vel increase w/ the same powder charge. I don't know if that is translating into higher pressures or more efficient powder burn w/ the slow ball powder.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 04-11-2010 at 17:42..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote