Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-11-2010, 16:05   #1
Grux

Bench height for reloading

I am getting ready to build my reloading bench, and was wondering what height everyone has their bench at?

I know they suggest 30-32 inch’s, and standing 36-42 inch’s. For some reason, this feels low for me. Even standing the 42" seems low when I measure it. I am also 6'3", so that may have something to do with it as well.

How high do you have your bench?
Grux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 16:44   #2
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grux View Post
I am getting ready to build my reloading bench, and was wondering what height everyone has their bench at?

I know they suggest 30-32 inch’s, and standing 36-42 inch’s. For some reason, this feels low for me. Even standing the 42" seems low when I measure it. I am also 6'3", so that may have something to do with it as well.

How high do you have your bench?
Dillon 550, No Strong Mount. Standing, 45".
Lyman Turret, 42"
Star Sizer, 42"

I'm 5'10". I think all the above are perfect for me. I do not use a stool when I load either. I also think the 42" is perfect for a work bench in sorting bullets, etc. 36 is good for a low work bench but I prefer the taller for most things.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 04-11-2010 at 16:45..
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 17:04   #3
dudel

Bench height is a very individual thing. Do you plan on using it sitting or standing?

Select your mode, then use a story stick to find what height works best for you, then build your bench to that height with the help of the story stick.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 17:38   #4
unclebob

I’m 6’ 2” my bench is 42” and I use a 7” strong mount.
If you have the press put in on book, wood, etc and check too see what height you like. If you do not have the press yet wait until you get the press before build the press.
You also have too decide if you want too load standing or sitting. I prefer standing. I have loaded both ways and I fell you have better control of what is going on standing.
GSSF Life Member
Old 04-11-2010, 17:44   #5
njl

With the right setup, you can load either way. Just get an adjustable height chair/stool and set the bench at a comfortable height for standing. The recommendation I think I remember from Brian Enos's site is that (at least with Dillon presses), the handle in the up position should be level with your shoulder.
Old 04-11-2010, 18:21   #6
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by njl View Post
With the right setup, you can load either way. Just get an adjustable height chair/stool and set the bench at a comfortable height for standing. The recommendation I think I remember from Brian Enos's site is that (at least with Dillon presses), the handle in the up position should be level with your shoulder.
If the handle is even with your shoulder how are you suppose too check the case for powder. Personnaly I think that is way too high.
GSSF Life Member
Old 04-11-2010, 19:00   #7
MoNsTeR

550 with strong mount is on a ~36" bench. Decent height, could go an inch or two taller. 1050 is on a ~38" bench and feels good (and has the virtue of an adjustable handle). I load standing, and I'm about 5'11".
MoNsTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 19:05   #8
Grux

Well this will be my first reloading setup and I plan on getting a Lee Classic Turret Press Kit. I would like to be able to either sit on a stool or stand comfortably. I was thinking maybe around 45" for the bench top might work well for me (again, I'm 6"3)

I don't have the kit yet, I was hoping to have my bench and everything ready before I ordered it.
Old 04-11-2010, 19:15   #9
njl

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
If the handle is even with your shoulder how are you suppose too check the case for powder. Personnaly I think that is way too high.

The top of the handle is well above the shell plate when the plate is down...and your head should be above your shoulder...so you should have no trouble seeing into the cases to make sure there's powder in them at station two or three.
Old 04-11-2010, 19:52   #10
robin303
Helicopter Nut

If you are going to make the legs out of wood then make it tall then cut down to fit your needs then you you can brace and add shelves and such.
Old 04-11-2010, 20:13   #11
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Well this will be my first reloading setup and I plan on getting a Lee Classic Turret Press Kit. I would like to be able to either sit on a stool or stand comfortably. I was thinking maybe around 45" for the bench top might work well for me (again, I'm 6"3)

I don't have the kit yet, I was hoping to have my bench and everything ready before I ordered it.
Do you have access to a "bar height" counter? Kitchen counters are 36", Bars/raised islands are 42". Add some books to get the height you need just to see how it works. My guess is 47 or so for you.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:47   #12
Cobra64
Deals in Facts

What's a "strong mount?" I just bolted my LnL onto the bench, and the shell plate is 1-5/8" above the bench surface.
Cobra64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:02   #13
Grux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra64 View Post
What's a "strong mount?" I just bolted my LnL onto the bench, and the shell plate is 1-5/8" above the bench surface.
I'm new to this and was wondering the same thing? I thought it just bolts to the bench?
Old 04-12-2010, 05:27   #14
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
I'm new to this and was wondering the same thing? I thought it just bolts to the bench?
It's for Dillon presses, it raises the press up off the bench... Google Image "Dillon Strong Mount"... There isn't one available for the Turret, so unless you're gonna build one custom, 86 that idea.

I have an LCT on a 32in bench, am roughly your size, and it works for me. Personally, I agree w/ the folks who say to get your press, then build your bench. If you know the length you want... You can go ahead and get your decking cut, your 2x's for the length of the bench, any shelves, etc.. I wouldn't cut for the height however, until you have the press and can confirm what works for you...

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:11   #15
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
With my bench at 45" for my 550 my handle is at about the socket of my shoulder. Your bench at 42" but with a 650 on a stong mount is actually having the press at about 49". Your taller then me so that seems about right.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:14   #16
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNsTeR View Post
550 with strong mount is on a ~36" bench. Decent height, could go an inch or two taller. 1050 is on a ~38" bench and feels good (and has the virtue of an adjustable handle). I load standing, and I'm about 5'11".
I'm doing the math for the OP.

550 with a strong mount on a 36 inch bench is actually @ 44". 1050 is much taller and needs no strong mount.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 04-12-2010 at 07:15..
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:19   #17
Grux

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
It's for Dillon presses, it raises the press up off the bench... Google Image "Dillon Strong Mount"... There isn't one available for the Turret, so unless you're gonna build one custom, 86 that idea.

I have an LCT on a 32in bench, am roughly your size, and it works for me. Personally, I agree w/ the folks who say to get your press, then build your bench. If you know the length you want... You can go ahead and get your decking cut, your 2x's for the length of the bench, any shelves, etc.. I wouldn't cut for the height however, until you have the press and can confirm what works for you...

IGF
Do you stand or sit while you reload? I would think it might be a bit low if you were to stand?
Old 04-12-2010, 07:31   #18
unclebob

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...0_Strong_Mount

The Strong Mount There are two different ones one is 6” high and the other one is 8” high. It does a lot of different things.
It raises the height of the press with out having too redo the bench.
It increases the machine’s “foot print” to over 10” spreading the load over the whole bench instead of stressing the leading edge.
It also gets the press so as not too over hang in front of the bench. Incase you have cabinet doors and the press interferes with opening the doors.
It also raises the height of the press with out making the height of the bench so high that you could not use it for anything else.
For me also, under the strong mount is an opening for my spent primer box.
There are different people that have used the strong mount of different press’s other than Dillon. You put a piece of steel or aluminum plate between the strong mount then bolt the press on the steel plate. And some people have made them out of wood. I think Uncle Don has done both ways.
So too put the press where I like it. Instead of my table top being 42” I would have too make the table top 48.”
GSSF Life Member
Old 04-12-2010, 07:48   #19
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by njl View Post
The top of the handle is well above the shell plate when the plate is down...and your head should be above your shoulder...so you should have no trouble seeing into the cases to make sure there's powder in them at station two or three.
On the Dillon 650 with roller handle it is 3” from the shell plate too the top of the top of the handle. On the Dillon 550 it is 5” difference. From the top of my shoulder too my eye is 6”
I have tried it with the handle too my shoulder. There is no way that I can see inside of the case for powder unless the powder is all the way too the top of the case. And that is using a short 9mm case.
GSSF Life Member
Old 04-12-2010, 07:53   #20
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
With my bench at 45" for my 550 my handle is at about the socket of my shoulder. Your bench at 42" but with a 650 on a stong mount is actually having the press at about 49". Your taller then me so that seems about right.
On the 650 the handle for me comes too about 3” above my nipple. The 550 comes too about 5” above my nipple. The 550 has the 550 650 Strong mount. With a 42” inch bench top.
GSSF Life Member