Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-12-2010, 17:32   #1
Brown Hawk
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Replacement Barrel

I picked up a second hand DPMS 16" carbine with a 1:9 barrel in .223 and I would like to replace it with a 5.56, as all of my ammo is 5.56, 62 and 55 grain. This is a SHTF & home defense rifle as well as plinking.

I'm thinking of a 16 in mid range gas system, which would also involve a gas tube and longer handguards. What makers are out there and what should I look for for the best quality? Also, what about headspace between the new barrel and the older bolt?

Also, a friend is selling me his Lee reloader he used for 40 grain reloads, and I might get into some heaver loads in the VLD range. Should I get a 1:9 now and then build an upper for the VLD loads and a 1:14 upper for the lighter ones?

Thanks,

Hawk
Old 04-12-2010, 21:13   #2
Constructor
GT Sponsor

55, and 62 gr will work in 7, 8 or 9 twist barrels, the VLDs will need 7 -8 twist,
a 14 twist should be limited to 50gr and under. An 8 twist will do everything but usually the 8 twist are stainless and you wouldn't really want a short CQB rifle to shoot varmints with if that's what you plan to do with the 14 twist and 40gr bullets.
VLDs and 40gr varmint bullets are for accuracy and 55s and 62s are not so it seems to me you need 2 different barrels, a good accurate 20" 8 twist for the varmint and VLDs and a chromelined or nitro-carburized mid gas 16" 7, 8 or 9 twist for the 55s and 62s.
The bolt and new barrel should be checked with "go" and "no-go" headspace gauges, it should be close but I would check it just the same. If the DPMS you have is not chromelined you could have the throat recut to 5.56, we do it all the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Constructor is offline   Reply With Quote