Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-12-2010, 22:20   #1
GlockRN

Space Issue?

Gettin ready to set up a new single stage outfit with the usual equipment and I'm limited on space in the room I'm working with. Whats the minimal size table I can build to keep everything within reach and not be too cramped while I reload?
GlockRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:08   #2
dudel

My first "bench" was the inside of a closet. You don't need much space. Creativity is what you need when space is tight. I've known folks that loaded on the dropped liftgate of their truck.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:06   #3
BK63

I've seen people with portable roll out bench tops they keep in the closet. Roll it out and lock the wheels and load and then put it back when you're done. My house is small and I have no room at all for that stuff so I built myself a little room in the basement. Some people do it in the garage. You just have to get creative and find a spot to call your loading corner.
BK63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:50   #4
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

Mine is set-up to be removeable and takes up very little space. I use a Lee Anniversary Kit and do around 250 to 500 rounds at a time.
Not a space hog.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:55   #5
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRN View Post
Gettin ready to set up a new single stage outfit with the usual equipment and I'm limited on space in the room I'm working with. Whats the minimal size table I can build to keep everything within reach and not be too cramped while I reload?
depends, are you wanting something you can "roll out and put up" when you're done.... or something that stays in place? I don't have a single stage, so I'm not really used to loading that way, but I would think *minimum* would be 18-24in wide.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:42   #6
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudel View Post
My first "bench" was the inside of a closet. You don't need much space. Creativity is what you need when space is tight. I've known folks that loaded on the dropped liftgate of their truck.
Yep, when I was in college, setup my ss in a coat closet, maybe 24"x36". It works, forces you to keep stuff clean & organized. My setup now is in a 8'x15' garage, stuff everywhere now. I do have three presses setup though & a casting setup though.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 04-13-2010 at 09:43..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:54   #7
GlockRN

Thanks guys, I have a 2'x4' space in a small room that I think will suit me well. And should probably encourage me to keep things in their place. I appreciate the suggestions!
GlockRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 13:00   #8
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Yep, when I was in college, setup my ss in a coat closet, maybe 24"x36". It works, forces you to keep stuff clean & organized. My setup now is in a 8'x15' garage, stuff everywhere now. I do have three presses setup though & a casting setup though.
Makes we wonder how we ever survived! Mine is now in a 30' x60' garage (ma hall) and I want more space.

Looking at a couple of acres (foreclosure) across the street with a storage building. Tear that down and I have a pad 20'x100' on which to build the next man cave. That would even be long enough to put a small range in. Hmmmm.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 13:28   #9
sig357fan

built this with a file cabinet from Wally World, some scrap 2" x 4", 3/4" plywood and a table leg from Home Depot. the 2" x 4" at the back is screwed to the studs in the wall and the file cabinet has screws ran up from the top inside into the frame of the bench to make everything solid.

shelf was one I had laying around, used it for the scale to isolate it from the bench and keep it at eye level.

bottom drawers hold powder, primers and all the other equipment. top drawer is for tools and other small parts.

the press is mounted to at piece of 3/8" steel that is screwed to the top, its drilled and tapped for the presses I use.

bullets, brass and loaded rounds are stored on a book shelf in the room.

cost less than $50 to make.

sig357fan

Last edited by sig357fan; 06-26-2010 at 01:30..
sig357fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 14:20   #10
vafish

While I have a bench in the basement with 2 presses on it and a bench in the garage for bullet casting. I also have the Franford Arsenal potable bench with a single stage press on it.

I often drag it out and do prep work such as depriming cases in front of the TV.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=155024

My older son will probably get the press and stand when he heads off to college.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is online now   Reply With Quote